ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Seth Trimble Withdraws Name From Portal, Staying at UNC

With RJ and Trimble back, and especially if we land Tyson, I worry about minutes for our 5-star freshmen. Will they get enough to want to stick with UNC as sophomores? I don't want another Kessler experience.

If we whiff on Tyson - or if you're right and he's OK with coming off the bench his first year here - then we have the minutes. But we also have a pretty short team (and no Ingram to make it up in power).

Either way, we could still use a quality big. That doesn't impact guard minutes.
I worry about Ian Jackson possibly not starting or getting "starter minutes" due to the load at the 2-3 spot (He actually can play 1-3). I see him as a 1 or 2 year player. If he feels that he can't get the necessary minutes to showcase his skills he could opt to go elsewhere. Not saying he would be right to do so but it could be a concern for him. The young man is talented but who knows how HD will use him.

I hate that we feel like we have to discuss peeps leaving way before they even get here! AND we know that Hubs will use players the way their performance and bodies suggest they should be used! My take is: If a kid doesn't accept that he has to earn his PT then I'm happy to see him go! Capt. Jack is NOT afraid of competition or hard work so I predict he will get all the minutes he needs to help the team succeed!

Capt. Jack will get starter minutes at least in the beginning of the season as long as he comes in and gets to work. His minutes will grow or shrink based on what his work shows the coaches! Peeps want things to be gifted to them (not saying Jackson is like this) these days but I am thrilled that UNC is still making the earn their time! I like that we have resisted getting into bidding wars as well. The bball world has changed (not for the better) even though I love the fact that they can monetize their NIL.

Reactions: KinstonNC
Same backcourt as last season… add a couple of 5* wings and a transfer or two…. They had better run, run and run some more
Yes, and there needs to be no doubt or wavering as to who is running the show this time around.

Also, if Tyson pops as expected, we should be done at the perimeter positions, and we will be very versatile there. Powell and Tyson are natural 3s with complementary skills, Ian and Seth can both play there as well in a smaller configuration.

What's left is to ideally pick up a physical Big for our 5 rotation and a 4 if things work out. If so, we can be truly deep everywhere, and hopefully utilize that depth with pressure and tempo.

If we start the lineup some have suggested, we're slightly shorter than last year (Cormac listed at 6'5).

Personally, I lean toward starting Tyson (6'7) at SF.

PositionUNC PlayerUNC HgtDuke PlayerDuke Hgt
PGElliot6'1Proctor6'5
SGRJ6'0Foster6'5
SFIan6'4Evans*6'6

* I picked Evans because he's the highest ranked Duke SF not named Flagg, who is 6'9, but it could be Flagg.

I am already seeing some lineup speculation ITT that I am reasonably sure is off base, so let me add something that I think you in particular will appreciate:

Once I got wind that Seth may be returning, the draw for that was NOT an indicator of RJ leaving (as many feared), it was about getting more opportunities here, even with RJ returning. One of the motivations for Seth testing the portal in the first place was looking for an opportunity somewhere to play some at the 1.

It is my hope that he gets to add that to his repertoire as EC's primary backup, in addition to the minutes he'll play at he other perimeter positions. Happily, I am told that this is indeed part of the plan for him this coming season. PG may not come naturally to him, but he works diligently to do what he is taught, and he has the experience to pull it off in backup minutes.

Again, I hope that works out, as TBH, it wouldn't hurt my feeiings if RJ didn't have to worry about playing PG at all --- let him get some real blows for a change.
I too mentioned this as a consideration for his return if Hubert would give him an opportunity on the ball at times.
Anything that allows R.J. to remain at the 2 and hunt his shot is a Win/ Win to me.

I hate that we feel like we have to discuss peeps leaving way before they even get here! AND we know that Hubs will use players the way their performance and bodies suggest they should be used! My take is: If a kid doesn't accept that he has to earn his PT then I'm happy to see him go! Capt. Jack is NOT afraid of competition or hard work so I predict he will get all the minutes he needs to help the team succeed!

Capt. Jack will get starter minutes at least in the beginning of the season as long as he comes in and gets to work. His minutes will grow or shrink based on what his work shows the coaches! Peeps want things to be gifted to them (not saying Jackson is like this) these days but I am thrilled that UNC is still making the earn their time! I like that we have resisted getting into bidding wars as well. The bball world has changed (not for the better) even though I love the fact that they can monetize their NIL.
Perfectly said my man.

If we start the lineup some have suggested, we're slightly shorter than last year (Cormac listed at 6'5).

Personally, I lean toward starting Tyson (6'7) at SF.

PositionUNC PlayerUNC HgtDuke PlayerDuke Hgt
PGElliot6'1Proctor6'5
SGRJ6'0Foster6'5
SFIan6'4Evans*6'6

* I picked Evans because he's the highest ranked Duke SF not named Flagg, who is 6'9, but it could be Flagg.
Flagg should be starting at the SF spot for Duke next year. Evans will be first guard off the bench.

So Seth is back. Expecting to play more, including some at PG.

Let's say Elliot and RJ each average 30 minutes. That leaves a total of 20 minutes of backup time split between PG and SG. Not starter minutes, but 3 minutes more than last year. He could also get a few minutes at SF, although I'm not fond of that option if we have good SFs on board.

But what does that leave for Ian and Drake? A lot, if we don't land a top SF from the portal. Not a lot if we do.

Is that a problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: tarwhiz
Flagg should be starting at the SF spot for Duke next year. Evans will be first guard off the bench.
If I'm Scheyer and my bigs are good enough that I can play Flagg at SF, I'm a really happy camper - and Duke is going to be a strong contender. Assuming that Flagg lives up to his billing, of course, and that freshman issues don't derail the train.

If I'm Scheyer and my bigs are good enough that I can play Flagg at SF, I'm a really happy camper - and Duke is going to be a strong contender. Assuming that Flagg lives up to his billing, of course, and that freshman issues don't derail the train.
In my view Gillis and Brown will play the 4. Brown might get some minutes at the 5 in a small lineup. Maluach and Ngongba at the 5. Flagg will play mostly SF and some stretch 4 if needed (small lineup). Duke is light on guards behind Proctor, Foster and Evans. Kon & Harris will probably be spot minutes between 2/3 this season.

And this is why we need a legit starting 5, someone that can consistently disrupt dook’s bigs would naturally create issues for flag boy. IMO it would force them to figure out how to dance with us vs the other way around. Clifford from Ruckers would be perfect for the job: extremely athletic, superb lateral movement, long arms and nearly 7ft tall…plus dude is built a truck! Even Ungonna from Kentucky, although raw, he is every bit of 7ft with an incredible 7’5”wing span. Ungonna is prob the best rim protector in college…8blocks against Fl last year and 10 blocks against someone else.

But not just for dook a legit 5 will be a major need if we truly expect to make a deep run.

Last edited:
Sign a 7-footer (Clifford/Ugonna/Jonas)
Sign Cade Tyson to play as a small ball 4 that can shoot
Washington/Withers as solid backups

Run Run Run

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Dook simply put, is loaded. They have filled glaring needs off the bench with Brown and Gillis. They are also heavily involved with the shooter from Dayton.
If Carolina can get their front court in order, hopefully Kalkbrenner, and find a good replacement for Ingram.........
Dook and Carolina should be preseason #1 & #2 in the country. ACC is doing quite well in the portal.
What a year next season is shaping up to be!
Dook is further along in their roster construction than North Carolina presently.
We need Kalkbrenner, or I think we will be chasing Dook next season.
With Kalk? I like our chances.

Yes I like Kalkbrenner as well but don’t see him as being available.

If we do our part I think it will be:
1. Kansas
2. UNC ( if no solid big we will hoover around 10)
3. Houston
4. Dook (loosing🪳tough to over come and I don’t really trust Proctor to be that guy).
5. ?

But If all works out all 5 teams will each spend time at #1

Just my op.

Last edited:
Trimble is definitely not Ryan, who was a 3pt shooter that every team had to guard. If opposing teams refuse to guard you, then the floor isn't spaced and the offense doesn't work.

Cade is definitely not Ingram. Ingram outrebounded Bacot in ACC play. Ingram was strong enough to keep most power forwards from backing him down, and was relentless going after rebounds.

And nobody we have or will get will be equal to Bacot. He set the UNC rebounding record in 4 years. He tied David Robinson's streak of consecutive double doubles.

There won't be any equals to the players we lost. The team will be different in many ways. Right now if RJ comes back, he's our only proven 3pt shooter. Ryan and Ingram are gone. We need 3pt shooting. We need someone strong and athletic enough to match up with other starting power forwards. And with Bacot gone we need to find a physical center who can bang with other centers.

I can see Cade Tyson getting playing time at the 3, and sometimes at the 4 depending on who he's matched up with. But his defense, athleticism, strength, and rebounding are all huge question marks against ACC level talent. We're pursuing Adou Theiro bc I think the staff knows we need to find a tall athletic forward to match up with other ACC PFs.

We'll have to see what the final roster is before predicting lineups and such.
Let me clarify

= meant spot in the starting lineup… NOT replacement of production… we will struggle replacing Bacot’s rebounding/defense, Ingram’s rebounds/intangibles, Ryan’s defense/hustle, etc…

I think we could have a good team next year, but finding shooting outside of RJ will determine how our ceiling is…

Again, I hope that works out, as TBH, it wouldn't hurt my feeiings if RJ didn't have to worry about playing PG at all --- let him get some real blows for a change.
And it wouldn't hurt my feelings if RJ didn't play any pg last year or any the next should he return but if RJ feels his best position in $ ball is at the pg then how does he feel about not getting pg time in 24-25 should he return and then does that put 3 players splitting time at the pg?? EC should be the primary pg and get 25+mpg. And I'm super stoked Seth decided to come back and he actually has a decent shot at being a $ ball pg. I am a big Seth fan because when he's on the floor he brings ENERGY & EFFORT (along with some serious defensive chops and athleticism) and that is Carolina bball.

Which JW? Washington can shoot all the open jumpers he wants. Withers was good from deep 2 years ago (41.7%). If he gets that back over the summer, maybe he'll get the green light, too. That would be a fun look, with 2 of our bigs able to light it up from deep.
I'd give my left whatever if he hadn't inexplicably jacked up that last shot.

No not saying that I agree with him taking the the shot. I wished he didn’t like everyone else. My point in saying give him credit is for at least having whatever(ballnuts)to go for it. And if he had made it he would’ve been a rockstar!

But noI didn’t agree with the shot at all.

Make sense?

Don’t agree Nate—Seth is a huge asset to this team man—I don’t know what you’ve been watching—he’s made big strides in his game-D is there buddy -I’m happy as hell he’s back
I think he's ok and developing fine. But it would've depended on who we replaced him with.

He was looking for a bigger role elsewhere and didn't find it right? It doesn't appear that anyone else viewed him as a significant player either. Purely in terms of basketball, he's a limited offensive player and a really talented defensive player. For UNC specifically, I would prefer more of a PG to back Cadeau as opposed to RJ switching to the PG and Seth playing the 2 when Cadeau sits.

But there is a benefit to not having to find another player. It's not like I'm upset that he returned, lol. I just didn't think it would've been a huge loss if he transferred somewhere else. We went through a lot of this last year. People made it seem like losing Dmarco Dunn and Puff Johnson were such significant losses and bad signs for the program as a whole. When in reality, we lost inconsistent role players who don't affect winning all that much. We tend to value our own more.

Saying that, I think Seth impacts winning more than Dunn and Puff did. Again, not upset that he returned.

Pls

But you Have to give him credit for having the whatever to try it, right?
no, sorry.

As I like to point out, I'm no BB expert. So when a player starts to make some move and even I immediately think 'no, what are you doing?', it's probably not good regardless of the result.

Kids playing pickup games have that kind of whatever. These aren't pickup games and that sort of whatever is what coaches are trying to discipline out of them, because the result matters.

Don’t agree Nate—Seth is a huge asset to this team man—I don’t know what you’ve been watching—he’s made big strides in his game-D is there buddy -I’m happy as hell he’s back
didn't we once have a really valuable player who excelled defensively but had limited offensive input? Leaky something I seem to recall. Wish we had another player like that except with even more potential on offense. Oh wait....

LOL

didn't we once have a really valuable player who excelled defensively but had limited offensive input? Leaky something I seem to recall. Wish we had another player like that except with even more potential on offense. Oh wait....

LOL
In the 4 seasons that Leaky Black was a starter, our highest NCAA Tournament seed was #9 and two times we missed the NCAA Tournament. Those teams weren't all that good and part of it was because we had an extremely limited offensive player at the wing. Of course, there were several other factors, but Leaky was part of 4 somewhat limited teams.

I don't personally credit Leaky a ton for the 2022 run to the Finals. We made 13 3's against Marquette, 11 3's against Baylor, Caleb Love basically took over against UCLA, St. Peter's was a 15 seed. He made timely buckets against Duke though. During that 2022 run, I honestly think Leaky was the 5th most valuable player during that run.

Part of the 2022-23 disaster was because Leaky was so offensively limited on a roster that couldn't shoot the ball the entire season.

I don't think two #9 seeds in 4 full time starting seasons helps the Leaky argument much.

Yes, and there needs to be no doubt or wavering as to who is running the show this time around.

Also, if Tyson pops as expected, we should be done at the perimeter positions, and we will be very versatile there. Powell and Tyson are natural 3s with complementary skills, Ian and Seth can both play there as well in a smaller configuration.

What's left is to ideally pick up a physical Big for our 5 rotation and a 4 if things work out. If so, we can be truly deep everywhere, and hopefully utilize that depth with pressure and tempo.
While I know there will be an announcement literally at any minute that Tyson is officially a Tar Heel, I really wish we had gone hard for Griffiths from bama, kid is solid on both ends or simply trusted that Jack and Drake could cover our 3 spot and roll on, especially with Seth now back.

In my view Gillis and Brown will play the 4. Brown might get some minutes at the 5 in a small lineup. Maluach and Ngongba at the 5. Flagg will play mostly SF and some stretch 4 if needed (small lineup). Duke is light on guards behind Proctor, Foster and Evans. Kon & Harris will probably be spot minutes between 2/3 this season.
So you are going to have 6'6" Gillis and 6'8" Brown cover your 4 spot and you are comfortable with that? We are expecting a commit from a 6'7" wing sniper as I type this, could happen while I type this.

My dukie bud and I are on the phone about every day lately talking about our respective teams and he is less confident right now than I have seen him in many years. He has watched Malouch and Idongo and his reviews are not glowing. Flagg is good but I wonder how long they keep him as a 3, I think they are going to have to find a way to get another shooter on the floor and IMO will push Flagg to the 4 where he will have a physicality problem. As good as I think Flagg is, he is not a upgrade for the soph version of Filapowlski, duke loses in that trade off, in time Flagg will be the better player but not as a freshman.

He was looking for a bigger role elsewhere and didn't find it right? It doesn't appear that anyone else viewed him as a significant player either. Purely in terms of basketball, he's a limited offensive player and a really talented defensive player.
The only thing in this paragraph that even approaches truth is that Seth has limits on O. One sees a player return and then assumes what it means. The assumption tells more about the person than the player! I assume that He and Hubs had conversations and that Hubs explained his plan to use Seth next year. This conversation allowed Seth to come back to the place he felt most comfortable! I also assume that a kid as coachable as he is and who has already shown he is willing and able to work hard enough to improve his shortcomings will not be as limited on O next season! I saw a kid who was becoming more confident in his shot; was starting to drive into the lane and finish; was helping increase the energy level of the whole team; and was starting to distribute the ball well. He was and will be an important cog in our machine AND he is Family so by definition he would have been an important loss!

Welcome back home, Family! Real Tar Heels are excited to see what you become next season!

So you are going to have 6'6" Gillis and 6'8" Brown cover your 4 spot and you are comfortable with that? We are expecting a commit from a 6'7" wing sniper as I type this, could happen while I type this.

My dukie bud and I are on the phone about every day lately talking about our respective teams and he is less confident right now than I have seen him in many years. He has watched Malouch and Idongo and his reviews are not glowing. Flagg is good but I wonder how long they keep him as a 3, I think they are going to have to find a way to get another shooter on the floor and IMO will push Flagg to the 4 where he will have a physicality problem. As good as I think Flagg is, he is not a upgrade for the soph version of Filapowlski, duke loses in that trade off, in time Flagg will be the better player but not as a freshman.
Flagg is a College 4 and won't have any physicality issues playing there. Brown and Gillis are bench pieces and outstanding ones at that. If Dook gets High end play from the 5, they are a FF team and contender to win it all.
We need to seriously upgrade our front court to stay at that same level.

Yeah I have confidence in both Brown & Gillis playing the 4 spot. Brown pretty much played underneath the whole season for Syracuse and only attempted 2 3’s last season. Gillis played the 4 with Edey at Purdue and did a fine job with spacing. Maluach game stretches out to the three point line and shoots it pretty well. He can pull the opponent big out to free up space for drives or Brown to work down low. Ngongba is coming off an injury and will need conditioning. Maybe that is why you friend is worried about him. I think he will be alright and if not when Maluach is out Duke could always go small with Brown at the 5. I believe Duke has some versatility in the front court and I’m more worried about the backcourt. That is if either Proctor or Foster get injured, hopefully not like last season. I know both Duke and UNC will be good. Should be a great year once these rosters are complete.

Flagg is a College 4 and won't have any physicality issues playing there. Brown and Gillis are bench pieces and outstanding ones at that. If Dook gets High end play from the 5, they are a FF team and contender to win it all.
We need to seriously upgrade our front court to stay at that same level.
its a guard's game. proctor and foster do not scare a soul

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT