ADVERTISEMENT

Brown Reiterates He Will Return Next Season

What school has an example of what you are talking about?
Like Bobby Bowden did at FSU.

I wish he would return in more of an ambassador role.
If wishes were changes - Mack is and always been about his own ego fed by his charm. He is a conman. He is a parasite. Mack aint doing nothing that Mack does not see as benefiting Mack. He will have to be fired before he totally ruins the program, just as was the case at Texas.

Of course, every basketball-only booster knows that a totally ruined UNC football program headed by an 80 year old coach will have nearly 0 power to stop what ever UNC basketball wants to do.

Remember, Art Chansky LOVES Mack.

Did Texas ever consider keeping Mack Brown around in that capacity?
At first, yes. They spent 5 years trying to get him to halfway cooperate to save the program, and finally they accepted that Mack is a pure egoist and would need to be fired and sent packing.

I think he went into broadcasting because he was forced out at Texas.
That's right. Texas passed on his ambassador-ship, so it must not be that valuable. I don't know.

UNC brought him back as a feel-good gesture, I guess because of his...charm. That charm is also produced charm-in soft teams. He's beaten Duke a lot... that's all he's done. He had two of the school's best quarterbacks and still couldn't get anything out of it. They still lose games they should easily win. And, next season, he has no quarterback. The defense is non-existent. If ambassador has anything to do with the team on the field... I'll pass

That's right. Texas passed on his ambassador-ship, so it must not be that valuable. I don't know.

UNC brought him back as a feel-good gesture, I guess because of his...charm. That charm is also produced charm-in soft teams. He's beaten Duke a lot... that's all he's done. He had two of the school's best quarterbacks and still couldn't get anything out of it. They still lose games they should easily win. And, next season, he has no quarterback. The defense is non-existent. If ambassador has anything to do with the team on the field... I'll pass
Mack did what he was brought back to do. That was to clean up the brand and separate it from the scandal. He did that. Now is time to invest in football.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
Unfortunately, he's not wrong.
No... he's not wrong. But, as a head coach, if that's your attitude, after your team gets their asses drug and embarrassed in a major rivalry (the stats in that game are horrible), then you need to go.

Mack was supposedly brought in to fix whatever. He's nurtured a losing culture more than anything. "Let's have fun." Whatever he cleaned up, give him his prize and show him the door.

You don’t know about a qb until they get the opportunity to play.

No... he's not wrong. But, as a head coach, if that's your attitude, after your team gets their asses drug and embarrassed in a major rivalry (the stats in that game are horrible), then you need to go.

Mack was supposedly brought in to fix whatever. He's nurtured a losing culture more than anything. "Let's have fun." Whatever he cleaned up, give him his prize and show him the door.
For Mack, it is always about Mack as the shining star. It is Mack's ego that must be stroked all the time. So while things welfare just bad his final years at Texas, all Mack could see was Macknhloing that 1 National Championship Trophy. He talked about it endlessly ,calling it motivation for his players.

If UNC has any serious thoughts of being in the top tier of college football, the administration, or Bubba, would end the walk down memory lane with Mack today. But I’m not sure they care about having anything better than a decent football program. They never seem to want to back up the Brinks truck and go hire a coach that would lend to winning at the highest level. The last three hires have been a cherished alum who was a disaster, the newest “hot guy” from a lower level who did little, and then the walk down memory lane with Mack. And we are seeing the same results on the field that got Mack run out of Texas on a rail. But Mack makes most feel good because he remembers their name and they fall for the spin, and he is as good as there is at raising money. I’ve often said that is Mack was a preacher he’d have the largest church in the country. If he had gone into politics, he’d probably be a senator. He is that good at the politics. But now, as football coach at UNC, we have basically wasted two generational QBs, despite recruiting very high level talent around them. And with the meltdowns of the last couple of years, that will hurt recruiting. And at Mack’s age, every opposing coach is telling every recruit that Mack won’t be at UNC for their whole career and why would they want to go through a coaching change. I doubt he has the stones to do it, but if UNC really wants to be a player in football, and they could, it is time for Bubba to pull the plug and clean house from top to bottom.

Reactions: NCAAUCoach
If UNC has any serious thoughts of being in the top tier of college football, the administration, or Bubba, would end the walk down memory lane with Mack today. But I’m not sure they care about having anything better than a decent football program. They never seem to want to back up the Brinks truck and go hire a coach that would lend to winning at the highest level. The last three hires have been a cherished alum who was a disaster, the newest “hot guy” from a lower level who did little, and then the walk down memory lane with Mack. And we are seeing the same results on the field that got Mack run out of Texas on a rail. But Mack makes most feel good because he remembers their name and they fall for the spin, and he is as good as there is at raising money. I’ve often said that is Mack was a preacher he’d have the largest church in the country. If he had gone into politics, he’d probably be a senator. He is that good at the politics. But now, as football coach at UNC, we have basically wasted two generational QBs, despite recruiting very high level talent around them. And with the meltdowns of the last couple of years, that will hurt recruiting. And at Mack’s age, every opposing coach is telling every recruit that Mack won’t be at UNC for their whole career and why would they want to go through a coaching change. I doubt he has the stones to do it, but if UNC really wants to be a player in football, and they could, it is time for Bubba to pull the plug and clean house from top to bottom.
It would kinda be insane for a program of our middling stature to fire a coach for getting 8 wins (maybe 9 if a miracle happens in the bowl), after we were a 2 win team before he got here. I want him gone too though.

4-4 in the ACC with Drake and a bunch of top-20 recruiting upperclassmen is pitiful. And Mack has proven November is his cryptonite. I can't imagine the program being on a better footing a year from now though without a rockstar QB... he really needs to retire now before he puts us into 6 win territory instead of 8 win territory.

PS, you left Butch Davis out of your list. His recruiting was a tiny bit over-rated, and his scheming was bland but at least the program didn't seem soft as charmin.

Mack did what he was brought back to do. That was to clean up the brand and separate it from the scandal. He did that. Now is time to invest in football.
Clean up the brand what does that mean…The scandal had just as much to do with the basketball program as football…

Reactions: strummingram
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT