ADVERTISEMENT

Can Cadeau beat the freshman ast record

Indy_Heel

Sophomore
Nov 14, 2004
I happened to be watching this Video (linked here) of the team practicing. Biggest thing that stood out to me is watch the two passes Cadeau makes, both right on target while he’s moving at speed. One was even behind the back. It’s been said multiple times but he’s the new and improved Kendall Marshall but has an offensive game. I know Kendall started scoring better his sophomore season but teams played off him. They can’t with Cadeau.

So trying to dig through stats it looks like Ed Cora might have the record for freshman assists at 234 (Kendall had 230). I’m guessing Cadeau gets at least 300… if Hubert plays him. Lol. Of course the other players have to make their shots. I feel we have a better shooting team but who knows until they play. Does he sniff Kendall’s single season record? I don’t think we have to worry about him trying to get his “own” like a Love. The games I’ve seen him play you can tell he will score when he has too but he loves to give out an assist.

So trying to dig through stats it looks like Ed Cora might have the record for freshman assists at 234 (Kendall had 230). I’m guessing Cadeau gets at least 300… if Hubert plays him. Lol. Of course the other players have to make their shots. I feel we have a better shooting team but who knows until they play. Does he sniff Kendall’s single season record? I don’t think we have to worry about him trying to get his “own” like a Love. The games I’ve seen him play you can tell he will score when he has too but he loves to give out an assist.
The question to me will be how much will Cadeau need to score for us to be as good as we can be? I'm assuming he'll get a lot of assists.

Each one of Roy's National Title teams had a PG who could really score. Each one of Roy's truly elite offensive units had a PG that could score. As much as everyone loves Kendall and loved those 2 years, offensively, those teams were worse than the 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2016, 2017 teams by a pretty sizable margin.

If this is similar, I think Cadeau will need to score it maybe more than people think if we're to be a National Title contender. If he is an efficient scorer, he should look for his offense too.

Maybe Caleb has made everyone gun-shy about a lead guard that hunts their shot. While I don't want anyone to be a shot hunter like Caleb was, all of our best offensive teams since Roy has been at UNC, has had a PG with explosive scoring potential. Unfortunately, Caleb was one of the least efficient scoring guards in the country the majority of his tenure here.

I happened to be watching this Video (linked here) of the team practicing. Biggest thing that stood out to me is watch the two passes Cadeau makes, both right on target while he’s moving at speed. One was even behind the back. It’s been said multiple times but he’s the new and improved Kendall Marshall but has an offensive game. I know Kendall started scoring better his sophomore season but teams played off him. They can’t with Cadeau.

If his new teammates:
A. consistently get in their dadgummed transition lanes,
B. keep their dadgummed heads up,
C. catch his dadgummed passes and
D. FINISH,
then sure.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
The question to me will be how much will Cadeau need to score for us to be as good as we can be? I'm assuming he'll get a lot of assists.

Each one of Roy's National Title teams had a PG who could really score. Each one of Roy's truly elite offensive units had a PG that could score. As much as everyone loves Kendall and loved those 2 years, offensively, those teams were worse than the 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2016, 2017 teams by a pretty sizable margin.

If this is similar, I think Cadeau will need to score it maybe more than people think if we're to be a National Title contender. If he is an efficient scorer, he should look for his offense too.

Maybe Caleb has made everyone gun-shy about a lead guard that hunts their shot. While I don't want anyone to be a shot hunter like Caleb was, all of our best offensive teams since Roy has been at UNC, has had a PG with explosive scoring potential. Unfortunately, Caleb was one of the least efficient scoring guards in the country the majority of his tenure here.
EC is perfectly capable of scoring, with a Joel Berry-like ability to create his own shot.

Wait...did G-7 just give my man Cadeau a JB comp????? Now I know we are in for a great ride! Peeps were hustling up and down, Ryan looked smooth hitting his jumper, Withers ran the floor and finished (what's up with his hand?), EC looked like a wizard passing and scored off the putback, Ingram made an aggressive cut and move from the wing (got to hit that shot youngster!) and all that goodness happened without RJ or Bacot! We know what those 2 can do and we are seeing some really good signs from the newcomers!

EC is perfectly capable of scoring, with a Joel Berry-like ability to create his own shot.
Would open a ton of things. Hopefully you're on the money with the comp.

I do think you need a couple of dudes (I'm talking guards/wings) who can score. In certain big games (specifically in March), you're going to need one or two dudes who can take over a game when it's either close or you're in trouble. Then have a Ty Lawson who can score 21 points in the 2H against LSU or Wayne Ellington to score 11 straight in the same game when the game was in the balance.

We probably have one in RJ. He's shown it before against Baylor. Would like one more and Cadeau seems to be a natural fit since he'll have the ball a lot.

Would open a ton of things. Hopefully you're on the money with the comp.

I do think you need a couple of dudes (I'm talking guards/wings) who can score. In certain big games (specifically in March), you're going to need one or two dudes who can take over a game when it's either close or you're in trouble. Then have a Ty Lawson who can score 21 points in the 2H against LSU or Wayne Ellington to score 11 straight in the same game when the game was in the balance.

We probably have one in RJ. He's shown it before against Baylor. Would like one more and Cadeau seems to be a natural fit since he'll have the ball a lot.
I agree and Withers is the unknown yet exciting player on my watch. Just getting the vibe that he could open things up with a few wow plays for the team.

I agree and Withers is the unknown yet exciting player on my watch. Just getting the vibe that he could open things up with a few wow plays for the team.
I agree. I think the upside for this team is tied to how good Cadeau will be and what kind of shooter Withers is. If Withers can really shoot it, that makes things a lot easier when he's on the floor. You can probably stagger your lineup to always have two plus shooters on the floor. I think this team will need minimum 3 good high volume 3-point shooters (35% or higher). Looks like RJ and Cormac should be two. Need a third.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Dang! SDung bringing some good vibes????? (I almost liked his post, lol) He had to tamp it down a bit by harping on needing 3 great shooters even though few teams can claim that. (why so serious??) I think we fixed our two biggest glaring weaknesses. 1. We have a true PG that can make teammates better. deliver the ball at the right time, to the right person, and in a location that leads to their favorite shot attempt! 2. We have multiple peeps who can be + shooters and are experienced, tough, high motor, and coachable! EC will prove to be a maestro conducting a deep, versatile, skilled, and athletic orchestra!

Dang! SDung bringing some good vibes????? (I almost liked his post, lol) He had to tamp it down a bit by harping on needing 3 great shooters even though few teams can claim that. (why so serious??) I think we fixed our two biggest glaring weaknesses. 1. We have a true PG that can make teammates better. deliver the ball at the right time, to the right person, and in a location that leads to their favorite shot attempt! 2. We have multiple peeps who can be + shooters and are experienced, tough, high motor, and coachable! EC will prove to be a maestro conducting a deep, versatile, skilled, and athletic orchestra!
I didn't say we need 3 great shooters. I said we need 3 high-volume shooters that shoot 35% or better. Once you get below around 33%, the 3-point shot doesn't really work to your advantage. The more you have who can shoot it well enough, the more dangerous your offense is.

Also, historically, UNC has won when it had several high volume good 3-point shooters.

2009 - Lawson, Green, and Ellington all took over 100 3's. All shot over 40%.
2005 - McCants, Felton, Scott, Jawad all took over 100 3's. The worst shooter shot 36%. Two shot above 40%.
2017 - Berry and Jackson both took over 100 3's. Both shot over 36%.

We probably need more shooting than the 2017 team though. That 2017 team was the best offensive-rebounding team by far. This unit won't have that weapon.

I would argue that approaching 40% makes you a great shooter but that is semantics at this point! I am not a fan of volume shooters unless they are volume makers anyway! What is the threshold for volume? How many did Cam, Manek, or Luke take? KW became a serious value add when he started taking shots with confidence and forcing peeps to pay attention. Wings need to be good enough to be accounted for when we have at least 3 others on the floor most of the time that can take over! (EC, Bacot, RJ) Once EC breaks down the D and Bacot demands extra attention, perimeter looks become cleaner than anyone on the team has ever seen! This will be enough to increase their confidence and give them the kind of looks that historically increase %. Passing out from the post either after a drive or forcing a double will cause peeps to rush to recover making the drive more effective too! Mid-range game and hitting enough to keep peeps honest will be enough to make us contenders-3 peeps over 35% makes us special! IMO!

BTW why won't this team be good rebounders? Bacot, RJ, Withers, Okonkwo, are all good to great rebounders right now. Athletes like we have in the fold can become great rebounders, especially on the O if they have the will! Pessimism is no longer justified IMO!

Last edited:
In today's game, high volume might mean 4 3PA/game. Back in 2005 or 2009, I think around 3'ish would be considered high volume.

I am also not a fan of high-volume shooters unless they make a good percentage. I'm not asking for more Caleb Loves, lol. That's why I consistently say, high-volume good 3PT shooters.

3 POINT ATTEMPTS:
Cam took 138 and 210 3's.
Manek 243 3's
Luke Maye: 116 and 125 3's JR and SR year
Kenny Williams: 179 and 146 3's JR and SR year

I also didn't say they wouldn't be a good rebounding team. But I can confidently say they won't be the best offensive rebounding team in the country like the 2017 team. If offensive rebounding becomes a weapon for this team, then they don't need to shoot it as well as I probably think they need to. We were 118th in the country at offensive rebound rate last year. We'll see how much they improve from being a pretty mediocre offensive rebounding team last year.

I have pretty given up trying to figure out UNC until about December rolls around. S much relies on chemistry and with the annual roster turnover that is always going to be a crap shoot. Those title teams had great outside shooting but also a BALANCED offense that excelled in transition. Offensive rebounding was pathetic last year in large part due zero spacing on offense and too much dribble, dribble, dribble, throw up a 3.

This time last year UNC was considered balanced, deep and experienced, and then they were exposed. They never consistently played with that heart and effort you see on championship teams. Hubert has to decide if he wants to develop a bench or not, and that decision has to be in November, not February. Let them learn to play through mistakes and don't bench player A while letting player B (or more exactly, player C) do whatever the hell he wants.

Reactions: DSouthr
On a team that returns 4 players from last season, I just do not see value in trying to apply stats without trying to determine how or even if these guys will fit together. What type of shots a guy takes is to me the more important thing, for example, I can see all the stats you want to throw me about Ingram scoring but last season Ingram was the second option on his team, means he was the focus of defenses, what does he do when he is NOT the focus of opposing defenses? Show me a stat that explains that please... Show me a stat that tells me how Withers will play this season when he has a pass first PG rather than the black hole of a PG he played with last season?

It is like at times folks seem to be drowning in a sea of stats and begging me to toss them a calculator? The game ain't about stats guys, it is about the things that produce the stats.

Butter holds the ACC single season assist record with 351 assists during the 2011/2012 season. I fully expect Elliot Cadeau to not only beat that record but shatter it by the hundreds his freshman season, all the while he consumes the dookies with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.

That can't be Elliot Cadeau. I am prettier than this man.

Alright, Father. I'll ask him.

If I risk my neck for you, will I get a chance to beat dookiemen?

Arse Lightning would be a great band name!

Point taken that just maybe we need to remember the kid is a freshman and might need a second to get up to speed in the college game. In his case, this seems to mean at worst, he will be merely good and grow into greatness by Tourney time!

Reactions: DaSheed
— Kendall Marshall put up 9.8 assists per game in his best year…

17-18 Pinson lead our team with 5.1 assists per game… all other team leaders since then have been in the 4s or 3s for assists.
Paige, Berry, White, etc… all were in the 4s at best.

Lawson was 5-6 assists per game
Felton was around 7 assists per game

It is possible to have a GREAT season for EC and him not come close to Marshall’s numbers. I don’t think EC gets there based on who he passes too this year — but just having someone get 5-7 assists on average would put us in FAR better shape then we have been… by basically double.

Kendall set the freshman mark averaging 24.6 min/game. Cadeau will probably play substantially more minutes throughout the season if he stay healthy.

Reactions: gary-7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT