ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Oregon game thread Wednesday 28 December 2022

Sorry but not into morals victories and participation trophies. Losing sucks no matter what it’s in. Call me a sore loser and I will agree.
I'm not into moral victories either, but I'm certainly not going to be pissed when I thought we were going to lose by three scores. We lost. I expected us to lose. UNC football lived up to my expectation.

Reactions: strummingram
That was a highly entertaining game. All the 'bowls don't matter' people can go watch shark tank, I'll take games like these all day this time of yr.
Well... yeah, I'll give you that. It was more fun to watch this way.

They lost the game much like the way they lost the season. They petered-out in the end.

I'm not into moral victories either, but I'm certainly not going to be pissed when I thought we were going to lose by three scores. We lost. I expected us to lose. UNC football lived up to my expectation.
Never compete thinking you’re going to lose. I never think we are doesn’t mean we won’t but I’m not giving in to anyone. Just me. Yes proud of the effort but some questionable coaching plus some crappy stupid mistakes cost us again. Waste chances bottom line.

Had the kicker even sniffed 58 in any practice they would have tried it , but they have watched him 100s of times so obviously he can’t get it there

That was a highly entertaining game. All the 'bowls don't matter' people can go watch shark tank, I'll take games like these all day this time of yr.
It was somewhat entertaining, but it doesn't matter. You know what game was also entertaining? The app st game. Entertaining bowl games have no value to the program unless they are NY6 or playoff games.

Kicker probably just doesn't have the leg to bomb it 58 yards. They've had chances to see him connect perfectly in practice, and probably felt like even with a perfect strike, he just wouldn't have the range.

I'll always pull for the Heels but I've never been this checked out before. Two or three years ago this would've really pissed me off, but this game barely moved the needle. I honestly just don't really give a sh*t.
same here...use to buy into the hype every season but that little boy has cried wolf too many times!

Never compete thinking you’re going to lose. I never think we are doesn’t mean we won’t but I’m not giving in to anyone. Just me. Yes proud of the effort but some questionable coaching plus some crappy stupid mistakes cost us again. Waste chances bottom line.
I wasn't competing. I'm at home on my couch.

I think it was 6 points. But, yeah... they sucked in the 2nd half.
I was actually thinking going into the half that the play calling was decent. Apparently Longo showed up at halftime and called the rest of the game. I will say that the plan to slow down the game was smart and helped the defense until they finally became themselves at the end.

I was actually thinking going into the half that the play calling was decent. Apparently Longo showed up at halftime and called the rest of the game. I will say that the plan to slow down the game was smart and helped the defense until they finally became themselves at the end.
Yeah... they just left too much time on the clock.

Green running for no gain on 1st down 18 times was great!

When you kick the FG up 24-21, you are saying I want to lose this game 28-27, you know they are going to score. If you go for it & don’t get it on 4th & 12, it brings a couple of positives into play. #1, on 4th & 3 Oregon kicks the FG instead of going for it, & at worst you go to OT, & #2, if they do kick the FG, you have way more time on the clock than 19 seconds to get in position for a winning score.

• Love
Reactions: gteeitup
When you kick the FG up 24-21, you are saying I want to lose this game 28-27, you know they are going to score. If you go for it & don’t get it on 4th & 12, it brings a couple of positives into play. #1, on 4th & 3 Oregon kicks the FG instead of going for it, & at worst you go to OT, & #2, if they do kick the FG, you have way more time on the clock than 19 seconds to get in position for a winning score.
I 1,000% agree with this and the group of fans I was watching with all said the same thing

I'll always pull for the Heels but I've never been this checked out before. Two or three years ago this would've really pissed me off, but this game barely moved the needle. I honestly just don't really give a sh*t.
That's a wise choice. 18-20 year old kids throwing a ball around should never afford you too much joy or despair.

The secondary cost us this game. When will they learn to turn around and play the ball instead of crashing into the receiver. Those were costly penalty's.
No doubt those penalties hurt us and need to be fixed, but two of them were freshman and one of the others barely played this year. I would say that performance was at least as good as the rest of the season (I know that's a low bar), if not better.

Reactions: ACokeForRoy
i’m watching it again now…rucker still gets held a lot…and i must have missed the explanation on #jerseygate as far as it leading to a change of possession…is that solely porter’s job???

carolina made enough plays to win that game.

Last edited:
Tough loss, but I'm proud of the way the team played. They kept it close and had a chance to win at the end, which is all fans can ask for. Looking forward to next year. Hopefully, Drake will keep his word and stay.

i’m watching it again now…rucker still gets held a lot…and i must have missed the explanation on #jerseygate as far as it leading to a change of possession…is that solely porter’s job???

carolina made enough plays to win that game.
It lead to a change of possession because they had less than five yards to go on fourth down. The penalty gave them enough for an automatic first down.

It lead to a change of possession because they had less than five yards to go on fourth down. The penalty gave them enough for an automatic first down.
i know what the result of the play was…i didnt know if the rule was similar to illegal substitution, if it could be marked off post punt, dead ball etc.

Been so ticked about the game I can’t even be happy with a five star commitment in BB. Game was given away by Mack.

Chizik has been a major disappointment...we once again could not stop anybody when we needed to... btw this guy nix cannot hold Drakes jock
Maye is definitely better, which, considering what Nix accomplished this year and what he failed to do in 2021, says a good deal about the Oregon OC for 2023, Kenny Dillinghaam, who now is AZ St Hc. Dillingham came up under Mike Norvell.

Dillingham is one of those guys who proved what he could do in HS football. His playing career ended before his SR year was over, and he immediately went to help coach the team. He worked on his degree at AZ St while coaching HS. Norvell, then AZSt OC, got to know and realized how sharp he was and hired as an assistant to him, a non-coaching assisatant at first. Then Noirvell took him to Memphis, and over time Dillingham became a very good teacher as well as OC.

There are 2 basic ways to build a winning program. 1 is to be all about selling everything and hoping to out-recruit everybody and win with more talent and perhaps money. The other is to plan to develop players with good position coaching, using coaching to make players the best they can be - work ethic blue collar, that applies to coaches as well as players..

It is much easier to make the first approach work well in football at a Texas, or Bama or Ohio St, than at a UNC or VT or Arkansas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT