ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs UVA gamethread

200.gif

offensive line played great. backs had big holes to run through all night. reality is our defense is still suspect. gave up 500 yards passing to a mediocre Qb/team not known for their offensive prowess.

Reactions: blazers
If we had an offensive coordinator who could call plays and a defensive coordinator who knew what time the game started we would be a legit top 10 team.
I saw Mack Brown's halftime interview from Kelsey what's-her-name... and, I thought he'd be upset or ticked-off by how the half ended. But, he was happy and was "Wow! What a game for quarterbacks!" It was like he was an objective spectator! I think Mack is really approaching this job from an extremely... um... relaxed perspective. He seems to be enjoying it, no matter what. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, necessarily. It is just a game. Maybe he's always been that way, I dunno.

Just throwing this out there, does anybody else think the defense would be better in a 4-3

Well, aside from the INT, the offense, and that moronic decision to kick a 54 yard FG, has been doing its part. However, the two mistakes they did make- the INT and that moronic decision to kick a 54 yd FG- is precisely what allowed UVA to push the weak-ass defense around and do what they wanted.

Both the coordinators suck! lol

I'm just glad they figured out we could run the ball in the 2nd half.

Reactions: strummingram
Just throwing this out there, does anybody else think the defense would be better in a 4-3
I feel like we were in 4-3 but nickel package most of that gm, and the 2 'ends' were standing. Fox/Rucker are both 260/265. But I do wonder if hand-on-ground could help the ends get more push, which might be more beneficial than the occasional drop into coverage from the ends.

Goalline a few times we did the 3 down, 2 OLB thing which was so prominent vs VT.

A few times we did that thing of just rushing 3 which never seems helpful.

Rucker was pretty good last nite, much more productive than Dez Evans.

Last edited:
I do hate to see the "ends" drop into coverage only to see the overall coverage suck to the tune of open receivers and decent pass pro.

i don’t mind an end/lb up but only if we’re trying to confuse the offense…are we really trying to or is this a base because we have so many that play that position, who knows?

we might see more even fronts…i think now is the time when the coaches know what they have, especially considering how many snaps certain dudes got more of and made more out of them.

We keep hearing "just see what he can do with some high level talent". Well, he's got some now, and we look as bad as the Fed defenses looked.
Absolutely agree that the upperclassmen need to play better, no doubt! But in regards to your high level talent comment, Silver, Ritzie, Boykins, Nash, KBJ, RaRa, Power and Pinder aren't out there contributing as of yet. The guys getting burnt on the back end are guys that have been in the system for awhile. They finally let Rucker loose last night, and he was a beast. Hopefully they start easing these guys in as both Power and RaRa shined when they got a chance last week.

Reactions: Archer2
Absolutely agree that the upperclassmen need to play better, no doubt! But in regards to your high level talent comment, Silver, Ritzie, Boykins, Nash, KBJ, RaRa, Power and Pinder aren't out there contributing as of yet. The guys getting burnt on the back end are guys that have been in the system for awhile. They finally let Rucker loose last night, and he was a beast. Hopefully they start easing these guys in as both Power and RaRa shined when they got a chance last week.
When are they going to release Bateman in the first half?

When are they going to release Bateman in the first half?
Good question, hopefully this week. Will need to get creative in regards to sending pressure because #10 and #17 were atrocious last night. Love the way Bateman called the defense in the Orange Bowl when he sent Grimes on some pressures from the slot. No DB's can cover for 5+ seconds, so if we can't start generating some pressure with the guys up front, going to have to start getting creative.

That's fair. Really hoping to see some of these studs get more snaps.

Reactions: Archer2
That's fair. Really hoping to see some of these studs get more snaps.
I'm not saying Bateman doesn't deserve any blame, but if the ends aren't getting pressure, we need to get creative with it. I like putting in #33 as #7 has just been inconsistent. Hopper was out last night, so #25 got more reps, and will need more going forward. Strange game last night as I didn't see UVA wanting to throw it 60 times and completely abandon the run. Hats off to the team and coaching staff for bringing it in the 2nd half. Would love for them to put two halves together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT