ADVERTISEMENT

Chizik, Cross Are Out, Monachino to Coach DL, DC Search Underway

At least 3 years late, Cross is gone, and we can have confidence his replacement will be better. But how much better, and how long will it take to undo a weak, soft DL culture at UNC?

And then there is DC.

Are there any DTs in the portal from Montana or SDSU or NDSU? Those top program 1AA/FCS guys play very hard and smart. They have heart and guts and drive.

Are there any DTs in the portal from Montana or SDSU or NDSU? Those top program 1AA/FCS guys play very hard and smart. They have heart and guts and drive.
we need coaches to instill those qualities in the talented players we successfully recruit. Of course I know you know that, but I am disheartened to see these portal players come in and show up our in-house guys.

Bluetoe, good point, but it may be that our coaches have just missed on talent evaluation and our current guy's were over ranked? I have had a hard time determining if we have a developing problem or an evaluation problem. Probably both.

Reactions: bluetoe
Is Gene's replacement really going to be a national search? Who would want to come in and not be able to name their own defensive coaching staff?

Bluetoe, good point, but it may be that our coaches have just missed on talent evaluation and our current guy's were over ranked? I have had a hard time determining if we have a developing problem or an evaluation problem. Probably both.
I could argue either way but I am inclined to have some faith in the ranking systems. A four might really be more like a three, but you can take a decent three and make him play his rear end off. I'd rather have a motivated three star guy than an unmotivated four star. I have to agree that evaluation is always a factor, but I also believe that in our case motivation is more of one. I just don't think that Mack is firing these guys up, at least not consistently. Remember the first game this past season against South Carolina? Hard to argue against the talent we displayed in that game. I thought we were finally going to see something worth crowing about. Guess not, it just seemed to go away..

Who would want to come in and not be able to name their own defensive coaching staff?
It isn't all that common for you to see a complete revamp of half the house. Sometimes you'll see assistants follow a DC from one place to another, but I don't think it is common for an HC to "fire" an entire side of the ball.

It isn't all that common for you to see a complete revamp of half the house. Sometimes you'll see assistants follow a DC from one place to another, but I don't think it is common for an HC to "fire" an entire side of the ball.
I'll take your word for that, but I would have said that the new coordinator usually has the option of cleaning house either on hire or once on site..

we need coaches to instill those qualities in the talented players we successfully recruit. Of course I know you know that, but I am disheartened to see these portal players come in and show up our in-house guys.
What you see in the better 1AA programs is a whole lot of guys who are fiercely hungry to prove that they belong on the field with anybody. They just work and fight with every ounce of energy they can muster. I see none of that with our DL guys. They are soft and complacent, satisfied.

Kelly and LSU just fired 4 assistants on the D side.

That's after 10 win season. Including win in a Major Bowl.

Kelly and LSU just fired 4 assistants on the D side.

That's after 10 win season. Including win in a Major Bowl.
Due in large part to their Heisman winning QB. Their D ranked 101 in total D, 89th in rushing D, 104th in passing D while giving up 28ppg. That isn't going to cut it at a place like LSU, because it just means more.

How do you all think would be a good fit to replace Chizik?
If UNC is truly ready to try to play Big Boy football it’s only 2 guys….

Glenn Schumann Or Jim Leonhard….

Mack announces after the last game of this upcoming season that he is retiring and either guy is named the Head Coach…

Mack announces after the last game of this upcoming season that he is retiring and either guy is named the Head Coach…
but Mack stays on board in some capacity because it's good for the image and for recruiting.

Reactions: MWHeels
What you see in the better 1AA programs is a whole lot of guys who are fiercely hungry to prove that they belong on the field with anybody. They just work and fight with every ounce of energy they can muster. I see none of that with our DL guys. They are soft and complacent, satisfied.
they get a large part of that hungry disposition from their coaches. That's why I always say, where is Carl Torbush now that we really need him. Or Denny Marcin.

Football at its best is played with heightened enthusiasm and elevated adrenaline, and an attitude of imposing their will on the opposition. That takes extraordinary effort and a killer mentality and a feeling of shame over losing. That's why good teams let down and get taken by weaker teams. That's why coaches have a hard time getting a team ready for cake walk opponents. It isn't so much that the other team is underestimated by the players, it's that the chance to let up a little from the intensity is too tempting.

but Mack stays on board in some capacity because it's good for the image and for recruiting.
I have no problem with that…Help with NIL funds and other funding for the football program but he would have no hands in day to day operations at all…

Mack named Associate AD for football or Fund Raising would be great. As long as he has no say who is part of the football staff. Mack is a silver tongue who can raise funds and smooth talk.

• Love

You say that as if they would actually want to come here.

Mack named Associate AD for football or Fund Raising would be great. As long as he has no say who is part of the football staff. Mack is a silver tongue who can raise funds and smooth talk.
exactly what I was thinking, except make that 'and' instead of 'or' if he'd do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT