ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Carousel

Ravon

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2002
Not too early to start this thread, where I will attempt to track (and request others help and post) thoughts on CFB coaching changes--especially those with impacts to our coaching staff. Could Fed leave for a job? Will Gene? Any others?

LSU - Fedora mentioned, but probably not likely (Jimbo seems to be odds-on Favorite).

Texas - Fedora may get a mention, but clear #1 target is Herman (Houston). Don't rank as a threat to UNC.

Baylor - Fedora being mentioned, and could be a threat (in Texas), but likely would not leave--go to a disaster that may about to be on NCAA probation? Hot name here seems to be SMU's Chad Morris. Former UNC staffer Blake Anderson being mentioned, as is former ECU (now OU) OC Lincoln Riley. If they are smart, they keep Grobe.

Purdue - Les Miles being mentioned, among others (PJ Fleck at WMU, Troy Calhoun at AF, Skip Holtz at La Tech). No mention of UNC names.

Possibly open big name schools:
F$U - If Jimbo leaves for LSU. Would the Seminoles look to Larry and Gene?

ND - Kelly in his 7th year and is 4-7, 59-30 overall and 3-3 in bowl games. Take out the 12-1 year in 2012 and he is 47-29; 3 years of 8-5 and one 9-4. Not exactly what ND wants. No idea who they would go after, but I would dangle some money at Nick Saban or try and get another Kelly (Chip) to come back to college! Maybe no change, because if they fire Brian, he is due $20M--ND has deep pockets, and they paid out $18M to get rid of Charlie Weiss.

Oregon - PJ Fleck mentioned here, and possibly getting Scott Frost to come back after only one year at UCF. Would Chip Kelly come back after two disasters in the NFL? Larry has the wide-open offense they like (and Phil and Nike would open up the checkbook), but is he a left-coast guy? I want to lean "no" that LF would not go (heart), but my head says it could be a possibility.

Alabama? - Heard on 2 different sports radio shows today that Saban is interested in trying the NFL again. Nine years at 'Bama and if they end with a 5th national title would he say it is time to try?

ACC Openings (likely no impact to Fed, but possible for Gene or others on staff).
GT - Sourpuss may be out, but GT would need to pay a $6M buyout (drops to $3M after 2017 season)
NCSU - Would they fire DD if UNC wins this week? Buyout of $2.25M. I doubt anyone from UNC staff would go to work at Cow Tech. Isn't Bill Cowher always their next coach-in-waiting?!!;):D

A name I'm not hearing mentioned a lot, and quite surprising? Lane Kiffin. Didn't work out well at Tenn or USC, but he has done really well at 'Bama and likely has matured and mentored under Saban for how to run a program. Would an Oregon or F$U take a chance?

Not hearing Gene's name mentioned. Could be because the hottest names are offensive coaches, and a former DC like Charlie Strong not doing well at big-name jobs could impact his marketability.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News