ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Changes

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I notice from the linked list that 2 of the ACC's 3 new teams will be arriving with (as yet unnamed) new coaches: Stanford and SMU. Kind of a shame that Haase couldn't make it happen enough at Stanford to get back to the ACC.

Even more of a shame that Stanford, Cal, and SMU are joining the ACC.
Do you think the ACC should change it's name? I mean can you really be the Atlantic Coast conference if 5 of your teams aren't in Atlantic coast states?

Then again, shouldn't the Big 10 and Big 12 be required to have 10 or 12 teams, respectively, or change their names?

That's sports for you. All about truth in advertising. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Keatts and Brownell (and Capel?) look pretty secure for the moment. I'm still a bit surprised that Pitt opted out of the NIT. Glad to see Wake and Va Tech weren't too proud.

Hamilton and Larranaga are getting up there, but I doubt either of them wants to go out after a down year. Assuming, that is, that it's up to them.

I wonder what Stackhouse will do next?

Do you think the ACC should change it's name? I mean can you really be the Atlantic Coast conference if 5 of your teams aren't in Atlantic coast states?

Then again, shouldn't the Big 10 and Big 12 be required to have 10 or 12 teams, respectively, or change their names?

I can't take credit for it but I thought it was pretty clever, someone said the ACC now stands for ALL coasts conference!

I sometimes wonder how many alpha dogs you can have on the same coaching staff. But, yeah, that could be interesting.

Fair point, but I wouldn't consider Stackhouse an "alpha dog" coach after a short stint at Vandy and no prior experience before Vanderbilt. Different sport and program, but Saban hired O'Brien, Kiffin, Sark, and others who had far more coaching experience than Stackhouse. Kiffin and Sark have both said they learned a lot from it and are now more successful as head coaches now. I admire them for having the humility to accept those roles after being the HC at multiple schools.

Although Davis is not at Saban's level right now, I do think Stackhouse can have a similar learning experience under Coach Davis that could lead to future success a head coach.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder how many alpha dogs you can have on the same coaching staff. But, yeah, that could be interesting.
I don't know Jerry Stackhouse extreme well, but from what I have seen... He doesn't strike me as being anyone's assistant coach. Especially now that he's been a head coach. I could be wrong... maybe he is more humble than what I can see or sense

I think the ACC is done. When the GoR expires or is broken by a lawsuit, every team that can find a conference that pays better will leave.

The ACC may continue to exist, but it will be a midmajor conference. Much like the SoCon which was the conference once housed the original ACC members.

I would love Stackhouse to come to UNC if one of the current assistant coaches take another job. Getting some experience under Hubert could help him achieve more success at his next HC job.
He led the Toronto G League team to a championship. He was looking like a NBA head coach in waiting until he bizarrely took the Vandy job.

He needs to go back to the NBA.

I think the ACC is done. When the GoR expires or is broken by a lawsuit, every team that can find a conference that pays better will leave.

The ACC may continue to exist, but it will be a midmajor conference. Much like the SoCon which was the conference once housed the original ACC members.

Where do you think UNC will go? It seems like the Big 10 and SEC are trying to be the two dominant power conferences.

Where do you think UNC will go? It seems like the Big 10 and SEC are trying to be the two dominant power conferences.
The SEC reportedly has UNC as their #1 choice.

Unfortunately there is a very strong chance a small group of politicians, and the people they put into place in the Board of Governors, will block UNC from leaving the ACC.

Unfortunately there is a very strong chance a small group of politicians, and the people they put into place in the Board of Governors, will block UNC from leaving the ACC.
Would Duke end up there, too?

Hard for me to imagine UNC and Duke not being in the same conference. I suppose the rivalry could still continue, but would it?

Doubtful there would be 2 UNC-Duke games per year if they split up. Then again if these conferences keep growing, will there be any home-and-away pairings anywhere?

So, 3 coaches leave the next day after their teams lose in the tournament. Obviously they had their deals set already. Always been a portal for the coaches.

I heard that conferences were dangling the idea that UNC could choose to bring a partner with them. I suspect that is how puke might end up in the Big whatever!

My stance is keep the ACC together because history and tradition mean something....unfortunately, I know how little they mean these days!

I hope so. lol only for selfish reasons. I’m two hours or so from about four sec schools.

Reactions: Heelicious
I have also heard we are attractive to both the B1G and SEC. I would prefer the B1G but at this point I don't really care. As long as UNC keeps its rivalries with Moo and puke and doesn't have to compromise the Carolina Way the conference name doesn't matter! ( I really hope a miracle happens and we stay in the ACC)

I would guess Dook ends up in the Big 12, probably NC State too, they are trying to play the hoops card to the SEC/B1G football collection.

Who knows though, all about the bottom line. Corporate takeovers are messy.

What conferences want UNC? SEC and B1G and ???

What other ACC teams are heading toward the SEC and B1G?

What happens to the ACC teams no other major conference wants?

Does the ACC just add more "leftovers" and become a mid-major conference? Does it merge with one of the other lesser conferences?

Might schools that came from the Big East go back to the Big East?

Former Montana State player and coach Danny Sprinkle going to Washington. Congrats.

Hope it works out for him. Tough place to coach bball. Tough to turn down 30 mil though.

Reactions: thompsjj

Does the ACC just add more "leftovers" and become a mid-major conference? Does it merge with one of the other lesser conferences?

This will NEVER happen and it's mainly a college football thing. But I would like promotion-relegation in college football divisions. Make like 6 geographical divisions (Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, Southwest, etc). You can have 9 teams in each division. Then make a lower-tier league of 6 same geographical divisions with the same number of teams. Then each team in conference plays its entire conference (8 games). The last place finisher of the top tier division gets relegated to the second tier in the same region. The first place finisher (or winner of the conference championship game) gets promoted to the first tier.

I would do the same for college basketball, just make all the teams eligible for making the NCAA tournament. You can probably have like 5 tiers of divisions in college basketball with all the teams in it. Promotion-relegation would work in college football. I think it would work in college basketball too.

Maybe a little too untraditional. But hell, you should be punished for losing.

This will NEVER happen and it's mainly a college football thing. But I would like promotion-relegation in college football divisions. Make like 6 geographical divisions (Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, Southwest, etc). You can have 9 teams in each division. Then make a lower-tier league of 6 same geographical divisions with the same number of teams. Then each team in conference plays its entire conference (8 games). The last place finisher of the top tier division gets relegated to the second tier in the same region. The first place finisher (or winner of the conference championship game) gets promoted to the first tier.

I would do the same for college basketball, just make all the teams eligible for making the NCAA tournament. You can probably have like 5 tiers of divisions in college basketball with all the teams in it. Promotion-relegation would work in college football. I think it would work in college basketball too.

Maybe a little too untraditional. But hell, you should be punished for losing.
You think the BT cares about that? The BT history box acting to end competition via its money. The SWEC has now joined that game. Anybody with sense and decency should hate both of them.

The BVE never again will sponsor football. It was founded for nothing but basketball, and adding a football division almost killed the league.

I heard that conferences were dangling the idea that UNC could choose to bring a partner with them. I suspect that is how puke might end up in the Big whatever!

My stance is keep the ACC together because history and tradition mean something....unfortunately, I know how little they mean these days!
That cannot be done with plodding leadership, and Phillips is a standard Midwestern dud.

I have posted on TI before (football) ways it could happen, but they all require powerful leadership. And that leadership school wise must come from UNC fort and foremost. It means weathering a bad storm while working to get an outside investor with very deep pickets to want to buy into ESON specifically to ,.use the ASCC. Both Tim Cook of Apple (Duke grad school) and Jeff Bezos of Amazon ha\ve definite desires to show live major conference college sports. ERSPN is never going to let either buy into ESOPN to show SEC games, so it would be ACC that they would get to promote in a new way. The ACC should be working to bring off such a deal. Both Cok and Bezos are big thinkers who know that long term the deal would be toexopand the ACC to make is more National. That almost certainly means adding Arizona and AZ ST, perhaps Utah and./or Colorado, 3--4 TX teams win the Big 12. A 20 team or more ACC, with enough content to satisfy the programming desires o Apple or Amazon Prime.

And the main cost to the ACC problem would be to boot Wake and BC.

Other than something along those lines, the ACC will either die or else be seriousy reduced in stature.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT