ADVERTISEMENT

Commotion in the ocean

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
It’s hot af and The water temp here is a miserable 85 today. Also the ocean is full of microscopic jelly fish babies that get trapped in your bathing suit and proceed to sting you relentlessly. There’s also no breeze which brings in the hordes of biting horse flies. They’re experts at landing on the small of you back where you can’t swap them before sticking their barbed probiscous in you to suck blood. But no worries the rip tides are readily available to end your suffering.

i just got back from several days at north Topsail, weather was perfect, breeze was steady and i never saw a bug or a rip tide. HOWEVER, there was a shark sighting 30 to 50 yards offshore both wednesday and thursday and i saw the dorsal fin with my own eyes, both times. was definitely a large shark, the fin was 18 to 24" .... both times it showed up was midday during low tide and it was grazing around a sand bar.

on wednesday i was out there in that area with my kids riding waves ... we high-tailed it out of the water in record time. no one within 500 yards got back in for a solid 30 minutes ... then it was back to water fun as normal. i know they're out there swimming with us all the time but seeing that big ass dorsal fin less than 100 feet away was quite startling.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
i just got back from several days at north Topsail, weather was perfect, breeze was steady and i never saw a bug or a rip tide. HOWEVER, there was a shark sighting 30 to 50 yards offshore both wednesday and thursday and i saw the dorsal fin with my own eyes, both times. was definitely a large shark, the fin was 18 to 24" .... both times it showed up was midday during low tide and it was grazing around a sand bar.

on wednesday i was out there in that area with my kids riding waves ... we high-tailed it out of the water in record time. no one within 500 yards got back in for a solid 30 minutes ... then it was back to water fun as normal. i know they're out there swimming with us all the time but seeing that big ass dorsal fin less than 100 feet away was quite startling.
not to worry, we aren't the meal they're looking for. That's what someone always pops up and points out, as if he hasn't gotten the news that sharks sometimes reject you as a meal only after they've sampled you.

The breeze is key. When it’s still like today (which is rare) the heat and bugs take over. As for critters The worst is having a big swell approach and right before it breaks on you you see a large shark shaped shadow in the wave.

I did enjoy seeing a really bad shore break today knocking unsuspecting peoples legs out from under them.

not to worry, we aren't the meal they're looking for. That's what someone always pops up and points out, as if he hasn't gotten the news that sharks sometimes reject you as a meal only after they've sampled you.
Yea it’s weird how they usually take one bite then leave you alone. Maybe they’re worried about sodium.

Except of course for that poor dude in Egypt that got eaten alive by a tiger shark in front of his family. That video is brutal.

Yea it’s weird how they usually take one bite then leave you alone. Maybe they’re worried about sodium.

Except of course for that poor dude in Egypt that got eaten alive by a tiger shark in front of his family. That video is brutal.
I'm not watching anything like that. Link?

awful to watch

The breeze is key. When it’s still like today (which is rare) the heat and bugs take over. As for critters The worst is having a big swell approach and right before it breaks on you you see a large shark shaped shadow in the wave.

I did enjoy seeing a really bad shore break today knocking unsuspecting peoples legs out from under them.
there's nothing more pleasant and life-savoring than enjoying your favorite cocktail in the evening, in an open-air bar or on a deck at the beach, and having that warm soft ocean breeze waft over you. Sometimes a lovely female presence is an extra added attraction, other times that just gets in the way of temporarily not giving a fvck about anything but the moment.

No shyt it’s horrifying. Guy is calling to his dad for help.

yeah I had already found it and watched. As terrible as that poor guy's end was, I think it disturbs me more that even as you're squealing in horror over and over, you just have to get it all on video.

And to me worse, is that while you have the necessary awareness to get your phone out and turn the camera on, you don't get the concept of holding it still.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT