ADVERTISEMENT

Computer

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
What kind of computer do you guys use these days? I have left behind desktops long ago for laptops. Working in the field is obviously easier. I tried a run with a tablet and keyboard for a while, but felt very clunky bouncing between windows and Android software. I just ordered the new Samsung Book 3 ultra. It seems by reviews to have made a hugh jump in processing capabilities over previous generations.
I use all Samsung product for work. My phone has the capability to handle most of the needed work load and will flow well with the new laptop.

It seems apple and Samsung are the major players in personal tech these days. So what do you guys use? Any desk top holdouts?

This is an interesting question, but I would guess for most that it is a function of what you use your "computer" for in terms of the need. With almost everything being cloud based, it has made this choice even more flexible. Being in the "field", you almost have to have a laptop/tablet/big ass smartphone. But, if one is tied mostly to a desk/office, a desktop still has its role. Even those I know that have a laptop as their main computer still have an option at a desk to "plugin" or dock because it is hard to beat a full size keyboard and multiple, huge monitors.

I use a desktop, laptop and phone depending on the scenario.

Once I went Apple laptop I never went back. It's just super duper reliable and they last forever.

I almost always use my phone as my computer, but I just bought a Lenovo a couple of weeks ago. It was the cheapest Windows computer I could get. That was my reasoning for getting it. There's really no reason to spend a lot of money on a home laptop anymore unless you are a gamer. It's all about software. Even the worst laptop out there is going to have the hardware you need for normal stuff. The only exception would be if you are a fag who likes to waste money. If that's you, I recommend an apple.

I almost always use my phone as my computer, but I just bought a Lenovo a couple of weeks ago. It was the cheapest Windows computer I could get. That was my reasoning for getting it. There's really no reason to spend a lot of money on a home laptop anymore unless you are a gamer. It's all about software. Even the worst laptop out there is going to have the hardware you need for normal stuff. The only exception would be if you are a fag who likes to waste money. If that's you, I recommend an apple.
Or when your company pays for it.

Fag.

• Haha
Reactions: Grayhead
You work for apple? I can't imagine another company would be dumb enough to buy apple products. Free Beats would be nice, though.
Are you that sheltered? Basically every tech company in America gives you the choice of Apple or a Windows laptop (Lenovo, HP, etc).

Are you that sheltered? Basically every tech company in America gives you the choice of Apple or a Windows laptop (Lenovo, HP, etc).
It was a joke. Lighten up, Francis. You apple boys are too sensitive. Maybe loosen up your manbun. Or maybe your skinny jeans are too tight.

• Haha
Reactions: Grayhead
One can be an Apple fanboy if they like to overpay (guess it doesn't matter if someone else is paying), but the perceived advantages essentially no longer exist. There are tons and tons of super duper reliable products that last forever now. And, as I noted earlier, it's really about your connection to the cloud since most things are now run that way.

It used to be that one of the reasons everyone had to have an iphone was because there were so many more apps available that the argument was that you'd be an idiot to even consider a samsung or others. I saw the other day that android now has more than twice the number of apps over apple. So, does that mean everyone should buy a samsung and dump apple? Of course, not, just use what you like which probably means what you are used to using. There is a learning curve with all of them.

And I say all of this while having always used non apple computers, but have been an iphone person since I switched from blackberry. I really only went that direction because my kids at the time just had to have that new fangled thing that no longer exists called an ipod. I argued for an mp3 player and lost, lol, as the wife decided. Have never looked back, but it kills me anytime I upgrade as both sides are way too expensive.

Reactions: Heelicious
I've always been android user mainly for ease of rooting and overclocking to early versions. As I got older, I enjoyed having a selection of services the phones offered. Apple always seemed identical with little variety. Now I'm simply a Samsung fanboy.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I've always been android user mainly for ease of rooting and overclocking to early versions. As I got older, I enjoyed having a selection of services the phones offered. Apple always seemed identical with little variety. Now I'm simply a Samsung fanboy.
Another thing about apple is that they lock you into an ecosystem that's hard to get out of. You can pick from multiple manufacturers for Android and there is very little difference. To apple's credit, it was a smart business move. Google is starting to build out their own ecosystem that I've willing gotten into (fi, YouTube TV, fiber, pixel). Fortunately, I can easily switch over to another service at any time.

For internet I use a desktop at home and a laptop at work. I use my phone for phone calls and texting like a normal human being.

Another thing about apple is that they lock you into an ecosystem that's hard to get out of. You can pick from multiple manufacturers for Android and there is very little difference. To apple's credit, it was a smart business move. Google is starting to build out their own ecosystem that I've willing gotten into (fi, YouTube TV, fiber, pixel). Fortunately, I can easily switch over to another service at any time.
I have a pixel for my church phone. I absolutely hate it. Thankfully, I only text and call from it. But no matter what android you have, most everything will transfer.
Ever notice how beautiful video is if someone text it to you from an iphone

I have a pixel for my church phone. I absolutely hate it. Thankfully, I only text and call from it. But no matter what android you have, most everything will transfer.
Ever notice how beautiful video is if someone text it to you from an iphone
I had a pixel 4 for about three years and loved it. Just got the 7 because it was free. No problems with it so far.

You use fi? I do, and i find call coverage to be spotty. Never have problems doing things a phone wasn't originally intended to do though. Old pixel 3a though.

Last edited:
Current job is apple-only (easier to maintain security policies, etc for just one). Expensive though.... not sure why they do this since engineering isn't using anything apple-specific.

Anyway, initially I hated getting used to the new shortcut keys, but I gotta say the MacBook Pro is the nicest laptop i've seen or touched. If they let me keep this when I leave I won't be going back to PC til this thing wears out.

You use fi? I do, and i find call coverage to be spotty. Never have problems doing things a phone wasn't originally intended to do though. Old pixel 3a though.
The only time I've had an issue is when I visit my FIL, but he lives out in the country. The other services I have been with had issues there as well. Other than that, it's been great. Even customer service has been good, which I thought was impossible with telecoms.

The only time I've had an issue is when I visit my FIL, but he lives out in the country. The other services I have been with had issues there as well. Other than that, it's been great. Even customer service has been good, which I thought was impossible with telecoms.
I had a few problems with the Fiber service initially, and while dickering with customer service I came across posts about nightmare scenario: you have Fiber, Fi, YTTV all routed thru Google PAY, and if your credit card gets stolen or something potentially fraudulent happens without you knowing then apparently that Googe PAY service can be shut-down pretty quickly behind the scenes, meaning you suddenly lose Fiber, Fi and YTTV due to payment probs and have to jump thru nasty hoops (without your phone or internet) to get things corrected on the PAY side.

I had a few problems with the Fiber service initially, and while dickering with customer service I came across posts about nightmare scenario: you have Fiber, Fi, YTTV all routed thru Google PAY, and if your credit card gets stolen or something potentially fraudulent happens without you knowing then apparently that Googe PAY service can be shut-down pretty quickly behind the scenes, meaning you suddenly lose Fiber, Fi and YTTV due to payment probs and have to jump thru nasty hoops (without your phone or internet) to get things corrected on the PAY side.
I don't pay any of them through Pay, so that shouldn't be an issue for me. I just got fiber last year, so maybe they fixed the issues you had. Customer service was great though. Guy came out to hook it up and found out the person living here before me took something that was needed. Had someone come out that afternoon to install it and he came back the next day to hook up service. Probably would have taken a week or more with a normal service.

some hp the firm issues for us…it’s new-ish, like a year old, but it does the job.

wife has a mac and i can’t stand it.

I think some of you guys are too embarrassed to admit you use a Jitterbug phone. :p

I've got a phone that has a stylus and a hybrid Lenovo laptop (bends backwards to turn into a big tablet.)

I don't agree that any computer can handle any task, but they can all probably handle 90% of the tasks. I do some CAD rendering that used to bring my old laptop to a crawl. This one handles it much quicker.

Work computer is a Macbook Pro, and I've gotten spoiled with a dual monitor setup (and full-size keyboard/mouse) at the office. Makes it easy to have the document I'm writing open along with multiple tabs/docs of reference info without having to keep flipping back and forth.

I recently picked out a new laptop for my mother-in-law and went with a Samsung Galaxy Book Pro (Windows 10). I like it and would get another one if I were shopping for personal use. Love the Macbook but it's 3X the $$.

Work computer is a Macbook Pro, and I've gotten spoiled with a dual monitor setup (and full-size keyboard/mouse) at the office. Makes it easy to have the document I'm writing open along with multiple tabs/docs of reference info without having to keep flipping back and forth.

I recently picked out a new laptop for my mother-in-law and went with a Samsung Galaxy Book Pro (Windows 10). I like it and would get another one if I were shopping for personal use. Love the Macbook but it's 3X the $$.
Dual monitor setups are game changers. I was using that up until recently. Work paid for one of those huge curved monitors for me. Now I have one big monitor, but it can be split into two screen views. It's like having two screens without having to worry about that annoying transition your mouse makes when you have separate screens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT