ADVERTISEMENT

Davis Walking on Senior Night, But Might He Use the Covid Year?

DRAWING IS WEDNESDAY AT 3

Best rivalry ever?

UNC. Duke. Tickets dropping Wednesday 03.06 only in the Autograph ap

There will be 4 ticket packages; each ticket package is $32 and includes 2 tickets in Section 3 Row O + Section 2 Row N. Full drop details in the Autograph app. ·

· Referral Code: THI

· Referral link: https://link.ag.fan/thi

1709618260314.jpeg

Leaky was honored on senior night, but still came back for his Covid year.

Bacot was honored on senior night, but still came back for his Covid year.

I'm sure RJ will investigate his options thoroughly after the season. But for now, let's keep winning games.

I agree that he plays a great game tonight and gets the win! The more peeps talk about how much more he can make in NIL than a 2-way NBA deal, the more I feel he might return!
EC
RJ
Ian
Drake
JWash......yes, please!

I agree that he plays a great game tonight and gets the win! The more peeps talk about how much more he can make in NIL than a 2-way NBA deal, the more I feel he might return!
EC
RJ
Ian
Drake
JWash......yes, please!
JWash currently averages 8 minutes a game. He is too weak to battle inside. Bulky guys push him around easily. He is too slow and immobile to defend outside of the paint. He doesn't rebound outside of his area at all. If a rebound does come to him, he is prone to fumbling it if he's bumped or in heavy traffic. He's a subpar passer and ball handler. He really should have redshirted his freshman year bc he has SO much work and development still in front of him. He doesn't do anything well except jumpshots.

There is no way he's going to be ready to start or play starter-level minutes on a competitive ACC team next November. I'd guess the absolute best case scenario is maybe he could double his minutes per game and give us 16 mins per game off the bench next season, and that's only if he puts on enough muscle to no longer get pushed around in the paint. Bc honestly I doubt he'll ever gain the athleticism and lateral mobility to defend outside of the paint.

Coach Davis will be adding a starting center from the transfer portal this offseason. There is no chance he enters next season with Washington as the expected starting center.

^
Can we add Ingram and Seth to that roster line-up?
I hope we get Ingram back. He's been a great fit at the 4 spot, with the versatility to play some 3.

But we'll have to wait and see what his draft stock looks like after the NCAA tournament. He does a lot of things the NBA likes. While he might not be a 1st round pick, he could still be a guy who gets promised a guaranteed contract.

Honestly, wasn't sure if Ingram would be here but if he is still with us, I'm putting him in for Powell. Seth may well earn a starting nod as well and that would be a great problem to have!

JWash currently averages 8 minutes a game. He is too weak to battle inside. Bulky guys push him around easily. He is too slow and immobile to defend outside of the paint. He doesn't rebound outside of his area at all. If a rebound does come to him, he is prone to fumbling it if he's bumped or in heavy traffic. He's a subpar passer and ball handler. He really should have redshirted his freshman year bc he has SO much work and development still in front of him. He doesn't do anything well except jumpshots.

There is no way he's going to be ready to start or play starter-level minutes on a competitive ACC team next November. I'd guess the absolute best case scenario is maybe he could double his minutes per game and give us 16 mins per game off the bench next season, and that's only if he puts on enough muscle to no longer get pushed around in the paint. Bc honestly I doubt he'll ever gain the athleticism and lateral mobility to defend outside of the paint.

Coach Davis will be adding a starting center from the transfer portal this offseason. There is no chance he enters next season with Washington as the expected starting center.

Lots of UNC players have made big jumps from Freshman to Sophomore seasons and from Sophomore to Junior Seasons. I guess I'm in the minority but I think Washington could be a viable 22-24 minute guy next year at center whether as a starter or back up. To already say "no way" is very shortsighted, a lot can happen in 8 months, not to mention he is already very skilled. It's all in how you want to look at it, you can stay negative all you want, that seems to be your story. I'll be an optimist and think Jalen can be a major contributor if he stays in Chapel Hill.

Lots of UNC players have made big jumps from Freshman to Sophomore seasons and from Sophomore to Junior Seasons. I guess I'm in the minority but I think Washington could be a viable 22-24 minute guy next year at center whether as a starter or back up. To already say "no way" is very shortsighted, a lot can happen in 8 months, not to mention he is already very skilled. It's all in how you want to look at it, you can stay negative all you want, that seems to be your story. I'll be an optimist and think Jalen can be a major contributor if he stays in Chapel Hill.
I prefer to analyze what we see from the players on the court. Which is precisely what I did in my post. It's not positive or negative. It's just accurate.

Also he's not "very skilled." He has one skill - jumpshooting. His ball handling is not good. His passing is not good. He is really bad at setting screens, often falling down from the contact or getting called for an offensive foul. He honestly falls down more than anyone else on the team. I already pointed out his struggles on defense in the previous post, as well as the problems he continuously faces due to lack of muscle.

It really takes a very specific matchup for Hubert to be able to play him long minutes. UVA this year was one such matchup. They didn't have a bulky center who could bully him inside, or a big man who was a perimeter threat either; so Washington was able to play a lot without it hurting us on defense. Even when UVA put him in a ball screen and broke down our defense, they refused to take wide open shots early in the shot clock which allowed our defense to recover. But most teams aren't like UVA's current squad. In the very next game Miami had a bulky (yet very short) big man who easily pushed Washington under the basket whenever he wanted to, and that big man was also a 3pt threat (more and more common these days.) As a result we could barely even play Washington, even with Bacot's foul trouble. Most teams will simply but Washington into a ball screen, and it will completely break down our team defense leading to an open shot.

Hubert isn't dumb. He knows he's going to need a center that can be physical with the physical opponents, and be at least somewhat decent at defending perimeter actions. Washington's sophomore year game film tells the entire story. He's nowhere close to being that center. There is no way Hubert will risk the entire '24-'25 season by planning for Washington to be the starter. He'll go get a starting center in the portal. Washington is just going to have to work hard and try to win whatever minutes he can.

JWash is already a trusted contributor. Weight room and some footwork drills and he could be really good next year. I expect steep development with leg strength being a focus.. The rest of this year and all of next season will be a lot of fun

JWash is already a trusted contributor. Weight room and some footwork drills and he could be really good next year. I expect steep development with leg strength being a focus.. The rest of this year and all of next season will be a lot of fun
If he was a trusted contributor, Hubert wouldn't be yanking him off the court as quickly as he does. In a season where Hubert wanted to rest Bacot more to keep him from getting run down like last year, Bacot is averaging the same number of minutes he did last season. Washington is averaging only 8 minutes per game.

I guess anyone could be "really good" if we're just ignoring game film and wishing on shooting stars. But in reality it's highly unlikely that any sophomore who is weak, unathletic, possesses poor lateral mobility, and is so clumsy that he falls down multiple times in limited playing time.. is going to become "really good" in just one offseason.

And I honestly have no idea where this belief comes from that Washington can even make steep development in the weight room in one offseason. Look at his arms and upperbody. None of his injuries or surgeries involved his upperbody. Which means he had all of high school plus two years at UNC to strengthen his upperbody. Yet his upperbody isn't any bigger than Marvin Williams was as a high school senior. So either Washington has been slacking in the weight room with his upperbody work, OR he's one of those people that just struggles to put on muscle. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Yep 39, it isn’t a zero sum game. I do believe a dominant big guy could make us a really good team. I know Hubert knows that. It shouldn’t be too hard for him to get one via the Stargate. if Jalen doesn’t transfer, I expect better things, starting next season. But I’m no expert.

I really, really hope JWash does NOT transfer! He could be a dominant Big by next season and JB could be the next in line while contributing from the bench! Portal is a great option too, but I think a lot depends on what RJ decides! If we somehow keep RJ, Capt., Ingram, Seth, and JWash-portal becomes an afterthought to me! (Is all that possible??) Is JWit done?

Fun Times to be Family!

This guy is intriguing. His stats this season:
20 PPG
8 RPG
55% 2FG
38% 3FG
69% FT
2 BPG

He tested the NBA waters before this year but returned for his junior year at Dayton. He’s now 6-10, 235. Don’t know if he can/will pass the ball. He could have a national title shot here. Intriguing.

Holmes

Last edited:
I really, really hope JWash does NOT transfer! He could be a dominant Big by next season and JB could be the next in line while contributing from the bench! Portal is a great option too, but I think a lot depends on what RJ decides! If we somehow keep RJ, Capt., Ingram, Seth, and JWash-portal becomes an afterthought to me! (Is all that possible??) Is JWit done?

Fun Times to be Family!
A dominant big? Ok, now we're getting to takes like Brandon Huffman eventually being a starting caliber ACC big.

Last edited:
If you really think JWash is on the same level as Huffman, then you just confirmed everything I've always thought of you! It is also not surprising who agrees with you, lol!

But assuming you really just don't know any better, I'll play. JWash has all the tools to be a problem for opponents. He will need to get significantly stronger, especially in his lower body. He is ready right now to be a 6th or 7th person in a lineup that is winning the ACC. He can become a person you have to game plan for by ACC next season IF: he is healthy all off season and dedicated to strength/stamina work and honing his footwork and instincts!

Heels are trending upwards and it feels great!

You're wayyy overwrought on this.

Some of these comments about Jalen did not age real well after the game last night did they? LOL Maybe the one poster should talk to his BFF for LIFE Sean May before he continues to run that clap trap...

Of course Jalen has parts of his game that need work, a lot of work to be honest. But so does High, so does Konkwo, so does JWit but no one looks to back the bus over them like that one poster seems intent to do with Jalen. I consider Jalen to be at most a freshman but he is even behind a freshman when you consider how much time he missed due to rehabbing prior to college. And yet the poster feels the need to treat him like a 5th year senior? "He doesn't do anything well but jump shots"? Since when did UNC fans find it acceptable to trash a young kid like this that is 6'9" and has a 7'5" reach that jump shoots really well out past the 3pt line, since when did we start minimizing that, since when have we even had that?

To accuse the kid of slacking in the weight room when HUBERT DAVIS shared how impressed he was over last off season that every time he went in to the weight room Jalen was there working. Well of course a long lanky kid like Jalen is going to find it harder to add bulk, news flash, most long lankly guys do find that hard, DUH!

"I guess anyone could be "really good" if we're just ignoring game film and wishing on shooting stars. But in reality it's highly unlikely that any sophomore who is weak, unathletic, possesses poor lateral mobility, and is so clumsy that he falls down multiple times in limited playing time.. is going to become "really good" in just one offseason." Total SHAMEFUL ignorant BS!

Washington has one of the prettiest shots I’ve seen from a big man. When he gets clean looks I always think it’s going in. Yes, Washington needs to improve on his overall strength and his lateral speed going forward but I have no doubt that he will improve in these areas hopefully with a second consecutive healthy offseason. He also has been doing a very good job in protecting the rim.

Washington has one of the prettiest shots I’ve seen from a big man. When he gets clean looks I always think it’s going in. Yes, Washington needs to improve on his overall strength and his lateral speed going forward but I have no doubt that he will improve in these areas hopefully with a second consecutive healthy offseason. He also has been doing a very good job in protecting the rim.
The weird part is, rim protection is one of the things peeps think our team currently lacks. A guy with the length and timing to become that should be desirable!

The weird part is, rim protection is one of the things peeps think our team currently lacks. A guy with the length and timing to become that should be desirable!
He did a phenomenal job in Virginia in protecting the rim. I love the upside in this young man’s game. He is funny too (off the court).

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
If you really think JWash is on the same level as Huffman, then you just confirmed everything I've always thought of you! It is also not surprising who agrees with you, lol!

But assuming you really just don't know any better, I'll play. JWash has all the tools to be a problem for opponents. He will need to get significantly stronger, especially in his lower body. He is ready right now to be a 6th or 7th person in a lineup that is winning the ACC. He can become a person you have to game plan for by ACC next season IF: he is healthy all off season and dedicated to strength/stamina work and honing his footwork and instincts!

Heels are trending upwards and it feels great!
Lol, nice try. I never once said Washington and Huffman were on the same level. Nice try.

You said that Washington can be a dominant big by next season. I'm saying that's as unrealistic as those who thought Brandon Huffman could become a starting-level player at UNC. The Huffman prediction was never realistic. The Washington prediction is probably just as unrealistic.

Reactions: DaveChapelle
Jalen is most effective (IMO) at the 4 next to a more traditional big. We had a lot of success in several games when Hubert played Bacot and Jalen together then for some reason he went away from what was a match up problem for opponents. Jalen has been yanked even when playing well so lack of more minutes is not necessarily due to his on court performance. Some of it due to matchups.

This guy is intriguing. His stats this season:
20 PPG
8 RPG
55% 2FG
38% 3FG
69% FT
2 BPG

He tested the NBA waters before this year but returned for his junior year at Dayton. He’s now 6-10, 235. Don’t know if he can/will pass the ball. He could have a national title shot here. Intriguing.

Holmes

I was not aware of this guy until reading your poast. I did watch the highlights you linked and was intrigued. Being cynical, I thought, well his competition isn't great. But then I dove into his game log. He's played really well against P5 teams or better mid majors.

As a sophomore:
vs NCSU - 17 points (5/11 FG), 6 rebs
vs BYU - 21 points (7/13), 9 rebs, 3 blocks
vs VT - 13 points, 10 rebs

As a junior:
vs Northwestern - 17 points (5/7 FGs), 7 rebounds, 6 assists
vs SJU - 21 points (6/14 FGs), 5 rebs, 2 blocks
vs Houston - 16 points (6/11 FGs) 5 rebs

Some of these comments about Jalen did not age real well after the game last night did they? LOL Maybe the one poster should talk to his BFF for LIFE Sean May before he continues to run that clap trap...

Of course Jalen has parts of his game that need work, a lot of work to be honest. But so does High, so does Konkwo, so does JWit but no one looks to back the bus over them like that one poster seems intent to do with Jalen. I consider Jalen to be at most a freshman but he is even behind a freshman when you consider how much time he missed due to rehabbing prior to college. And yet the poster feels the need to treat him like a 5th year senior? "He doesn't do anything well but jump shots"? Since when did UNC fans find it acceptable to trash a young kid like this that is 6'9" and has a 7'5" reach that jump shoots really well out past the 3pt line, since when did we start minimizing that, since when have we even had that?

To accuse the kid of slacking in the weight room when HUBERT DAVIS shared how impressed he was over last off season that every time he went in to the weight room Jalen was there working. Well of course a long lanky kid like Jalen is going to find it harder to add bulk, news flash, most long lankly guys do find that hard, DUH!

"I guess anyone could be "really good" if we're just ignoring game film and wishing on shooting stars. But in reality it's highly unlikely that any sophomore who is weak, unathletic, possesses poor lateral mobility, and is so clumsy that he falls down multiple times in limited playing time.. is going to become "really good" in just one offseason." Total SHAMEFUL ignorant

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Someone asked about Withers but I did not see an answer. Can he come back for another year? Will he come back for another year and where does he fit in if he does. Don't know what happened to High this year so I have no idea what he might be able to contribute.

Yes, his plan is to return.
Andrew we have a kid semi local here in north Alabama and I’ve read a little on him but not much word out yet. Caleb holt is his name. Any insider info that we will offer? He’s a year behind most of the kids I’ve watched a lot but holy crap he can go.

Here is just one of the two 5-star centers committed to dook next year. 7'2" with a 9'8" standing reach. Plus Cooper Flagg at PF.

We gotta get some front court help outta the portal. And it would help a great deal if Ingram came back.

forgive me for talking about RJ Davis here, but whether he comes back or not is nothing I have any opinion on. I want him to do what he wants to do; he has already done plenty enough for me. He is phenomenal, IMO, and I am in awe of his amazing contribution to our program.

What I do want for my own benefit is to see his jersey hanging in the rafters.

^^^^^ This 100%!!!!

I apologize for letting patently ridiculous statements cause me to participate in the derailment of a thread celebrating one of our historically great Tar Heels! RJ will forever be remembered for his contributions to the Family and I hope whatever decision he makes leads to greatness!

Thanks Fam, now go finish some business!

Reactions: bluetoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT