ADVERTISEMENT

Dee Liner

Works for me. UNC gets some of that 'bama talent at a position of need and thumbs it's nose at moo again.

Win, win.

Originally posted by heelbent:

Works for me. UNC gets some of that 'bama talent at a position of need and thumbs it's nose at moo again.

Win, win.
Exactly. Their heads would explode.

(Google Dee Liner Instagram if you don't know what we're talking about)

Safe to assume they have heads but what is in them is another issue altogether.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think chizik recruited liner for auburn and then bama flipped him. it's hard to calculate how huge this would be for carolina to get liner at our weakest position, a guy who's already been coached at bama. it would be instant dividends on our chizik hire.

Originally posted by JimmyinVA:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think chizik recruited liner for auburn and then bama flipped him. it's hard to calculate how huge this would be for carolina to get liner at our weakest position, a guy who's already been coached at bama. it would be instant dividends on our chizik hire.
I wouldn't pretend to know. All I know is he was good enough to sign with 'bama and he's the perfect size for what Chizek runs.

Liner originally committed to Auburn and flipped to Bama. Other than very early in the process it was a Auburn-Bama race. He was a 4* and seems to have beefed up from 277 as a HS senior to around 300 now.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Win, win.
Exactly. Their heads would explode.

(Google Dee Liner Instagram if you don't know what we're talking about)
Oh, you mean this pic? Why would that bother them? Besides, we already cleared it with the Swoff. Bwahahaha.

dee-liner-full_original.jpg

I wouldn't pretend to know. All I know is he was good enough to sign with 'bama and he's the perfect size for what Chizek runs.
if chizik recruited liner for auburn that means they already have a good relationship, which gives carolina a real chance. this kid was a top 10 DT coming out of high school and since then has beefed up, and got some great coaching at bama. i really hope carolina lands this guy!

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Actually, that money came from Swoff. UNC football letterman, former AD, etc.

Well, since we're 'fessing up...Swof usually funnels the money down down through the refs. Wonder who visited Dee?

A little respect please gentlemen.

It's not Swoff. It's The Swoff.

Originally posted by Realfreedom:

So, if he picks the Heels or the Heels offer, he will have to sit out this season?
Yes. He has seen very limited action his first 2 years in Tuscaloosa, using 2 years of eligibility. As he has not graduated, he must sit a year when transferring.

Adding Liner is about 2016 and 2017, when we could have the DL and overall D to go with an explosive offense necessary to win the Coastal.

As there is virtually no way we can win the Coastal this year, everything we do in 2015, starting with Spring practice, should be about making the 2016 team as experienced and battle hardened as possible.

a little off topic but I took a look at Bama's chart at all their positions and they are freaking loaded at every one with 4 and 5 star talent. I cannot understand a lot of these guys signing when they see these logjams in front of them. I think Ronnie Harrison will regret not sticking with us.....he could have been a star here.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:
a little off topic but I took a look at Bama's chart at all their positions and they are freaking loaded at every one with 4 and 5 star talent. I cannot understand a lot of these guys signing when they see these logjams in front of them. I think Ronnie Harrison will regret not sticking with us.....he could have been a star here.
Unless....he has enough confidence in his abilities to believe he will beat the others out eventually and claim a starting spot. If so, more power to him

Yea, with all that talent how do they ever lose?

Only one conclusion...Saban must be a krzytty coach.

Yea, with all that talent how do they ever lose?

Only one conclusion...Saban must be a krzytty coach.
if you look at their schedule it's loaded with teams that recruit top ten classes every year. and every one of those teams saves their best game for bama, just like ACC basketball teams have done for years with carolina. as for recent history, i think lane kiffen cost them that game against ohio state. ohio state couldn't stop bama's run game in the first half, but kiffen switched to a cutesy passing game in the second half -- imo because he wants everybody to think of him as a genius.

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

Unless....he has enough confidence in his abilities to believe he will beat the others out eventually and claim a starting spot. If so, more power to him
we're always saying if we change the football culture at carolina we'll get top rated recruits even without guaranteed playing time. well, guess what -- bama has that culture.

And THIS year was supposed to be THE year.
not in everyone's mind. some of us were in touch with reality.
I think heelbent might have said that tongue-in-cheek. In any case, yes, we're probably a year away from serious Coastal contention unless Chizik is a miracle worker.

I think heelbent might have said that tongue-in-cheek. In any case, yes, we're probably a year away from serious Coastal contention unless Chizik is a miracle worker.
the only thing that worries me about a coastal championship is that va tech has been recruiting really well the past few years and they tend to coach their kids up pretty well. I think carolina can win the coastal in a couple of years -- but it won't be easy.

The fact that we haven't won the Coastal yet is pathetic. I'm very aware of the crap we've been dealing with, but STILL it's been right there for the dang taking[/I] every season. We're always one bad loss away from winning the thing outright or sharing for the title.

It's not like any of the Coastal teams are winning the thing at 8-0 or 7-1..........that I could accept. They're friggin' winning it with a 6-2 or 5-3 conference record. That shouldn't be that hard to achieve when we avoid FSU *and* Clemson (i.e., we play neither) in 10 out of every 12 seasons. Basically, the numbers tell you that we have a one-loss cushion. We can drop one game (and probably two) and still win the division. That should be doable since there's no FSU/Clemson, Virginia is terrible, Miami is the worst they've been in 30 years, VT is declining, Pitt is bad, GT is mediocre save for last year, and Duke wins by just letting us make mistakes.

So dang frustrating. Lord help us if we played in the Atlantic. We'd never do better than 4-4 in conference play.

Didn't see this when I posted my response so I deleted it, but BINGO!

Honestly...how can Chizik not improve what we had going on? Where did we finish...ranked like 120th or something in total defense? My god, could it actually get worse? I don't think so. But I just can't wrap my brain around the concept that some people actually believe a schematic change plus perhaps better coaching through the Spring and Fall camps is going to equate to a D so much improved as to allow UNC to compete for the Coastal. Even though we actually won the thing a couple of years back at 5-3, does anyone actually believe we have similar talent now, especially on defense? C'mon. Moo kicked our brains in. MOO! Think about that for a while. MOO. It'll make your brain melt. As THN11 pointed out we haven't exactly been competing in the toughest division in college FB.

Someone actually sent me an article by some genius that had UNC as a dark horse candidate to make the play-offs.

The college FB play-offs.

Sweet holy baby Jesus, somebody just shoot me now.

My expectations for this season are a defense that is still bottom half of the league...but not the worst. I expect the guys to be more enthusiastic and tackle better. I also expect more discipline on both sides of the friggin' ball. I expect the offense to be improved simply due to the fact they have more experience. MW is a warrior, but he has been known to throw a crappy pass every now and then and to miss a guy here and there. I expect Elijah Hood to run the !@#$ ball. I don't expect 9/10 wins. I expect 8...or less. That seems to be our high water mark.

Starting now I want to see how this staff recruits defense. That's where I think we have the opportunity to be greatly improved and is my last sliver of hope for the immediate future of UNC football. Chizik and the new guys have some things to sell beyond what the previous bunch could offer. UNC has traditionally recruited pretty well anyway even with all the negative recruiting being spewed by the inbreds. But everyone can't wave a National Title ring in a recruit's face and say "I know what it takes to get one of these. Everything we need is at UNC. If you're part of it we'll get there faster." Even negative recruiting can't take the gleam off that.

This post was edited on 2/11 6:07 PM by heelbent

^^^^To your point HeelBent . . .
the 2014 defense had these ranking according to NCAA site
total #117
scoring #116
red zone #109
pass yds allowed #101
rush #117

Using the total defense rank of 117 puts us in the bottom 7.2% of the 125 D1 teams, which is absolutely awful! If Chizik and defense improve 40 positions we will move to #77 and puts us in the bottom 39.2% of defenses, which is "bad". This +400% improvement will make the defense/defense coaches look much better on paper as we move from "absolutely awful" category, jumping over "awful" &" terrible" and into the "bad" category. Even a 200% or 300% improvement looks impressive on paper, but all of these numbers would be significantly below average. Now if this staff could just make the defense average they would miracle workers, but we'd still be unimpressive.

BTW, defense wasn't our only opportunity as we ranked #125 in time of possession, #84 pass yards/completion, #76 in turnovers lost and #110 in fewest penalties/gm.

The defense had some positives: #9 in defensive TD's and #41 in turnovers gained (top 1/3).

By the way, there's something really interesting in those stats. Look at the number of times opponents attempted passes against the Heels: 6th worst in conference and 32nd worst nationally. Not great, but not terrible either. Now look at the number of times opponents attempted rushes against the Heels: 14th worst in conference and 119th worst nationally. Opponents ran the ball down our throats. The defensive fix has to begin up front. We have to stop the run.

By the way, there's something really interesting in those stats. Look at the number of times opponents attempted passes against the Heels: 6th worst in conference and 32nd worst nationally. Not great, but not terrible either. Now look at the number of times opponents attempted rushes against the Heels: 14th worst in conference and 119th worst nationally. Opponents ran the ball down our throats. The defensive fix has to begin up front. We have to stop the run.
And that's why I keep hoping some MWC or MAC starting DT who is going to graduate this spring with a year of eligibility left wants to play for Chizik.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
And that's why I keep hoping some MWC or MAC starting DT who is going to graduate this spring with a year of eligibility left wants to play for Chizik.
Certainly brings this conversation full circle, doesn't it? I'm not sure what the answer is. Do we necessarily need a transfer? We have 6-7 guys at the DT positions already. I'd like to believe one of them could step it up this season, especially with Chizik's help. On the other hand, most of these same guys played last season as well and were obviously ineffective.

Do we necessarily need a transfer [who plays D-Line] ?
Does Popeye need spinach?
Does a vampire need blood?
Does Pac-Man need those white circles?
Does Scooby Doo need Scooby Snacks?

Certainly brings this conversation full circle, doesn't it? I'm not sure what the answer is. Do we necessarily need a transfer? We have 6-7 guys at the DT positions already. I'd like to believe one of them could step it up this season, especially with Chizik's help. On the other hand, most of these same guys played last season as well and were obviously ineffective.
I go with THN's answer. But I have some optimism. Jones showed som ereal potential as a redshirt freshman. Another year and a little bigger and stronger, and he might be consistent force.

Powell may have even more of an improvement. Not onlyt was he a true freshman last year, but he was playing for the first time ever at a heavy weight. In HS, wrestling meant he kept his weight down. So that fall was the beginning of his playingf above 245. Once he gets used to playing at 285+, he might become a beast.

Clarke and Dinkins as RS freshmen both could be as good as Powell was last year, and Crawford, our largest DT, could be a true freshman as good as Jones was last year.

If all that happens, our Dts this fall will better than our DTs last year.

harrison might not even project at safety down there...saban might turn him into an olb in their 3-4.

at any rate, there's as close to an nfl org as it gets.

Another thing that must improve . . . Linebackers. Even if the DL does there job with penetration and occupying the OL it won't matter if the LB's are out of position, make the incorrect read or tackle like blocking dumbies. Although I wondered if the blocking dumbies would be insulted by that remark.

This post was edited on 2/13 7:06 PM by ball4me2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT