ADVERTISEMENT

Demise of College Football as I Know it.

bmw1313

Gold Member
Mar 25, 2005
My love for college football and Carolina began back when Bill Dooley was head coach and continued thru with Dick Crum, Mack Brown (1st time, though I hated him when he left), the bad years with Carl Torbush and John Bunting (friend, but always thought he was a little over his head), Butch Davis, Larry Fedora and now with Mack Brown again.

I understood the first round of conference realignment the first time. But now with Ok and Texas going to the SEC, NIL and the open Transfer Portal I’ve start to reflect on what College Football is becoming. Conference commissioners seem to focus more on TV revenue, Players are focusing how much they can make of off Name, likeness and image. Players and colleges no longer feel a scholarship is for 4 years but is now on a year-to-year renewal. My vision of what is coming next is 2 to 3 super conferences. NIL will evolve into Pay for Play, with high school players negotiating how much a college is willing to pay. The Transfer Portal will become a place where college coaches go to replace players who opt out, injured or just to fill out the roster. COLLEGE FOOTBALL BECOMES THE MINOR LEAGUE NFL. Image a player Coach Brown is recruiting and his family asking for Million Dollar endorsement.

But what happens to colleges that don’t have high TV market brand, that don’t bring high TV revenue. Will the SEC dump Vanderbilt and Missouri, The B1G dump Northwestern and Rutgers. Can you see the ACC dumping Wake Forest, Duke and possibly Georgia Tech and Virginia because they are not big TV draws? Imagen Carolina not playing Duke for the Bell, because Duke is not in a super conference.

College football is no longer about the education that can be provided to H.S. students who might not have had that opportunity, but can they fill the stadium and draw TV audiences. The SEC is not about the college student, but how much money each college can make from a TV deal. Let me ask this question in closing, How much of the TV money actually goes to building new Academic Facilities, non-athletic scholarships? At Carolina I know that we fund athletic scholarships separately, built facilities without asking for state funding, but how many other colleges are in our position? My guess that only the Ivy League and other institutions that have extremely large endowments. But even Duke has had issues.

It is changing and, in my opinion, not for the good. You won’t even hear the talking heads on ESPN TV or Radio talking about the potential damage that is going to occur. I I love college sports, especially football, I’ll continue watching, but maybe not as much. I’ll always support CAROLINA. But I am concerned with the direction in which it is going. I appreciate the insight that Andrew has provide, he actually started me down this path of thought and I can only say how much I thank him for it.

Go Heels Go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News