ADVERTISEMENT

Driver less car kills 2.

Because cars with drivers have proven to be safe.

I dont think taking a dangerous item and making it more dangerous for no reason is smart. Sort of like making a table fan with metal blades without a guard so you can stick your hand in the blades.

I dont think taking a dangerous item and making it more dangerous for no reason is smart. Sort of like making a table fan with metal blades without a guard so you can stick your hand in the blades.
There's no evidence it's more dangerous though. The exact opposite is true.

Reactions: bluetoe
There will be a day here really soon when software-driven cars are statistically safer than human-driven cars, but even then I can't imagine taking my eyes off the road (except for when i'm poasting here on my phone)

Neither was in the drivers seat which is not how these cars are supposed to operate, even in auto-pilot mode. From what I understand the car shouldn’t have even been running without detecting a driver in the seat, so it’s also possible that they did some janky override on the ECU to bypass that.

Reactions: Heelicious
There will be a day here really soon when software-driven cars are statistically safer than human-driven cars, but even then I can't imagine taking my eyes off the road (except for when i'm poasting here on my phone)
They are already safer.

If a self driving car hits me and I am not injured too badly then it will be extremely dangerous for the passengers in the self driving car. I will do my best to drag them out and put them in an extended coma.
You wouldn't do that if the car was driven by a human?

If you have enough money for a self driving Tesla, then you have enough money to hire a driver. You’d be putting someone to work and not have to drive.

Oh, and anyone that drives a self-driving Tesla is a major douchebag. So there’s that too.

If you have enough money for a self driving Tesla, then you have enough money to hire a driver. You’d be putting someone to work and not have to drive.

Oh, and anyone that drives a self-driving Tesla is a major douchebag. So there’s that too.
Tesla's are pretty cheap comparatively. They are about the same as any other luxury car or your standard SUV. It's not like we are talking about a $200k car.

Depends on the situation. When someone is too lazy to drive they are asking for a beat down.
Seems like someone who can't even manage to drive well enough not to hit someone should fall into that category too. I guess it's so common that it's not a big deal anymore.

Seems like someone who can't even manage to drive well enough not to hit someone should fall into that category too. I guess it's so common that it's not a big deal anymore.

Well I was driving down a 4 lane years ago and the guy riding beside me crossed into my lane and hit me. He was having a stroke. EMS hauled him off to the hospital to get treatment. Damage to my truck was a couple hundred dollars. In this case guy didnt deserve to be punched in the mouth.

Well I was driving down a 4 lane years ago and the guy riding beside me crossed into my lane and hit me. He was having a stroke. EMS hauled him off to the hospital to get treatment. Damage to my truck was a couple hundred dollars. In this case guy didnt deserve to be punched in the mouth.
If he had been driving a Tesla he wouldn't have crashed from the stroke.

At risk of having this thread go way off tangent..... related to daily risk of driving cars, vs. risk of a person fully vaccinated from COVID dying even if they don't socially distance or wear a mask:

on average 100 people a day die in US from car / auto related crashes
on average now 0-1 persons a day who are fully vaccinated for COVID die from COVID

We just don't treat the risk of driving a car anything like the risk of vaccinated persons dying from COVID is my point. People are just pretty bad generally as a population taken in total, assessing risk and having context of the size of the population in the US (~350 million?) and that its not feasible to remove all risk from this many people.

At risk of having this thread go way off tangent..... related to daily risk of driving cars, vs. risk of a person fully vaccinated from COVID dying even if they don't socially distance or wear a mask:

on average now 0-1 persons a day who are fully vaccinated for COVID die from COVID

We just don't treat the risk of driving a car anything like the risk of vaccinated persons dying from COVID is my point. People are just pretty bad generally as a population taken in total, assessing risk and having context of the size of the population in the US (~350 million?) and that its not feasible to remove all risk from this many people.

Also 250,000 die every year from medical malpractice but no one is rioting over that. Cop kills someone and it's time to loot the local Walmart and Dollar General.

It's all about acceptable risk. Society has decided that driving is an acceptable risk even when there are safer alternatives available. Society hasn't decided that is the case with the rona yet. It will at some point though. You can already see it happening with all the mandates being lifted.

Neither was in the drivers seat which is not how these cars are supposed to operate, even in auto-pilot mode. From what I understand the car shouldn’t have even been running without detecting a driver in the seat, so it’s also possible that they did some janky override on the ECU to bypass that.

I read somewhere that they were in their 60s? Not the demographic I think of as prone to messing with the electronics of a car?

Reactions: uncboy10
Will a Tesla move without the driver's seatbelt buckled? Can't see the driver ending up in the back in a head-on collision with the seatbelt on. Rear-ended, maybe the seatback breaks.

Will a Tesla move without the driver's seatbelt buckled? Can't see the driver ending up in the back in a head-on collision with the seatbelt on. Rear-ended, maybe the seatback breaks.

Not my type of car so I'm not entirely up to date, but for awhile you had to actually have your hands on the wheel. They also have a super advanced pressure sensor system in the seats that adjusts how the airbags deploy. So that could easily detect someone not being in the driver's seat.

Tesla is crystal clear that the auto pilot system still requires constant driver supervision. That's why I assumed somebody had messed with the ECU to bypass the safety protocols. I think I even remember Elon Musk saying that the car would just slow down and pull over if something happened to the driver like falling asleep, heart attack, etc.

There was an accident near our neighborhood when I was a kid where they didn't find the last victim for nearly two days. I would also wonder if it's possible that there was someone in the drivers seat who potentially was ejected and hadn't been found yet.

One of the dumbest things ever invented.
I assume you're talking about the moron who should have been behind the steering wheel. And I agree, the human being is unquestionably one of the dumbest inventions imaginable. Thanks to idiots like these two, the rest of us will ultimately be deprived of responsible use of a great and useful product, since we are societally geared toward catering to the lowest common denominators among us.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I assume you're talking about the moron who should have been behind the steering wheel. And I agree, the human being is unquestionably one of the dumbest inventions imaginable. Thanks to idiots like these two, the rest of us will ultimately be deprived of responsible use of a great and useful product, since we are societally geared toward catering to the lowest common denominators among us.
I honestly dont follow your point.

this is the discussion I try to have when the subject of nuclear power generation comes up. Irrational fears keep us from having this highly benevolent source of power, even as those who are so afraid of dying by nuclear accident (that virtually never happens) are being exposed to power-generation pollution that kills in the tens of thousands annually just in the U.S. And as you point out, we aren't going apeshit over the fact that auto accidents kill a gob of people every year. Why aren't we hiding under the bed because of that? People are just stupid.

I still remember all those posts where we were being advised to find a hole somewhere and climb into it and stay there until the pandemic claimed half of the population and then went away due to lack of participation.

I honestly dont follow your point.
my point is that an invention is neither smart nor dumb, but its operator sure as hell can be.

And my other point is that because of lawyers, we end up protecting idiots from themselves at the expense of intelligent use of worthwhile things.

Because if some fool can manage to kill himself with something, no one should be allowed to take the same chance, apparently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
my point is that an invention is neither smart nor dumb, but its operator sure as hell can be.

And my other point is that because of lawyers, we end up protecting idiots from themselves at the expense of intelligent use of worthwhile things.

Because if some fool can manage to kill himself with something, no one should be allowed to take the same chance, apparently.

Oh ok. I know I have seen several videos of people riding in one of these cars and no one is sitting in the driver's seat.

Oh ok. I know I have seen several videos of people riding in one of these cars and no one is sitting in the driver's seat.
I've seen video of a guy using a lawn mower to trim the top of his hedges. I don't think the lawn mower was the stupid one.

Reactions: pooponduke
The average Tesla costs $85k. So get a Ford and a driver and you've saved $10k.

Follow me for more financial tips.
There are a crap-ton of teslas around Raleigh and I majority I see are Model 3, which starts at $38,190 including dest fee. Tack on 10k for the self-driving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT