ADVERTISEMENT

Duke vs UNC - Early Matchup Guesses

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
On the assumption that Lubin announces today or tomorrow, here's one plausible starting lineup arrayed against a lineup that's been mentioned a few times on the Duke board. Feel free to nitpick this matchup or offer your own.

PositionUNC PlayerStatsDuke PlayerStats
PGElliot CadeauSO 6'1 180Caleb FosterSO 6'5 197
SGRJ DavisSR 6'0 180Tyrese ProctorJR 6'5 183
SFCade TysonJR 6'7 205Cooper FlagFR 6'9 195
PFJae'Lyn WithersSR 6'9 215Maliq BrownJR 6'8 222
CVen-Allen LubinJR 6'8 230Khaman MaluachFR 7'1 250

Reactions: wade3823
Why would you assume that?
Just to fill out the UNC starting lineup with a big. It might not be Lubin, but we all seem agreed that we need one.

If we don't get anyone, it will be an, um, interesting season.

Assuming we get a big - whether Lubin or not - what's your opinion on how we are likely to match up with Duke?

I thought UNC had moved on from Lubin…
Have we? If that's been mentioned, I missed it.

Who does that leave. Onyenso?

IIRC, the last AJ video suggested that we were currently considering Lubin, Onyenso, and Hawkins. Perhaps in that order, and with Hawkins possibly in the draft for another 10 days.

Have we? If that's been mentioned, I missed it.

Who does that leave. Onyenso?

IIRC, the last AJ video suggested that we were currently considering Lubin, Onyenso, and Hawkins. Perhaps in that order, and with Hawkins possibly in the draft for another 10 days.
I figured when he didn’t commit on the visit that was it…I don’t know it’s looking like we might be done but I don’t know…It’s been a weird Portal Season for UNC for sure…

I figured when he didn’t commit on the visit that was it…I don’t know it’s looking like we might be done but I don’t know…It’s been a weird Portal Season for UNC for sure…
When Cade didn't commit right away, it occurred to me that that could just be another portal adjustment. Before the portal, most schools didn't have to work out payment packages and whatnot, so the kid could commit immediately, These days, there's probably a lot more that needs to be done - especially if there are other bidders.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Just to fill out the UNC starting lineup with a big. It might not be Lubin, but we all seem agreed that we need one.
I would like to see Jwash start at either the 4 or 5 this season. At least until he disproves himself. He's got Bryce Johnson+ potential. But he needs PT !! jmo

Reactions: Psychward4
JWash will start, period.

W/Lubin
4 JWit
5 JWash

W/ Oneyenso
4 JWash
5 Big O
There are times, to often in fact, where I find myself arguing a single point but in doing so I think again to often, that is taken as my speaking to all points of that question? Jalen for example, I virtually screamed afer every game last season that Jalen needed more minutes, that what he gave us offensively was a weapon we needed to have been using. That didn't mean I did not fully realize his defensive short comings, my head was not buried in the sand to that concern. I many times offer some reason why on those defensive questions but that was not to say those short comings did not exist, in fact I shared many times that they did exisit.

I now see a turn in the way Jalen is being considered, it feels to me like a complete 180, from he can't defend so he shouldn't play to he is absolutely our starter and should get those near 30+ a game starter minutes? My point is it has gone from 1 extreme to another? I want to see Jalen get 16-22mins a game to start the season, I don't really care if he starts or comes off the bench and actually if we get Oyenso I would prefer Jalen to come off the bench because he can play the stretch 4 as well as the 5, I would prefer JWit or Oyenso NOT do that. From 16-22mins a game you then ahdjust his minutes to the level he is playing and that means his minutes could go either up or down, depending on what he earns.

I think that is where expectations should be for him, in the middle of these extremes, a kid from 8mins a game to 30+ and a starter based on what we all saw last season is extreme for me, the guy has a LOT that has to improve come next season, maybe more than can be reasonabally expected in this off season? There is a similar argument to be made when it comes to JWit as well. While I do think even depending on either for 20mins a game is a risk, it is one I do think is reasonable to take but 30mins is a totally different deal based on last season. That is where the real value of guys like Omouryi, Oyenso, Aidoo, Lubin lays, depth where we dramatically need depth with starter level talents.

It is stacking up so that we look to be in a great spot to get Oyense, when it comes to just centers he was my second choice behind Omouryi (just from the stand point of how his game would seem to fit). Lubin was a guy that would have given us help in 2 positions so I valued him slight above Oyense but I prefer Oyense as a 5 over Lubin. Oyense at the 5 allows us to not over burden Jalen but gives him all the minutes he can play, easy 30mins backing up the 4 and 5 even if Tyson gets some of the minutes at the 4, which is a topic I do want to talk about (Tyson at the 4).

Reactions: RHFD and TPFKAPFS
CJalen WashingtonJR 6'10 230Khaman MaluachFR 7'1 250

I've replaced Lubin with JWash. Now we're only 14 inches shorter than our rival.

According to the Sports-Reference site, JWash was 4th best among scholarship players in DRtg* and 2nd best on DBPM**.

Let me add my usual disclaimer that I don't understand those measures. That said, maybe JWash isn't as much of a defensive liability as many seem to think.

As a proponent of the "throw him in the deep end" school of player development, I suggest we find out.

*Defensive Rating; an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions
**Defensive Box Plus/Minus

You honestly believe Washington is capable of chasing modern stretch 4s around the perimeter, navigating screens?

Is there an optimistic bone in your body?

Am I allowed to say that, or is that sLaNdEr & you're going to tell the teacher somebody is picking on you again?

Last edited:
It's odd to me how polarizing Jalen Washington has gotten here, lol. I certainly have my opinions on what Washington is and what he is/isn't capable of doing consistently on the basketball court. But he'll get an opportunity to show what he's capable of. Hopefully, he will take full advantage.

It's just strange how Jalen Washington has started a mini civil war here, lol. It reminds me a bit of Cadeau's expectations as a freshman. In fairness, I think the expectations of most for Washington are more realistic than they were for Cadeau. Very little all-conference expectations for Washington.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
One issue is peeps insist on extremes! I have said repeatedly that JWash should start and I believe he will. What I don't understand is why saying he should start automatically equates to him playing 30+ minutes a game???? I have way more faith in JWit as well apparently. I believe almost 100% of JWash's problems on D are health/strength/ stamina + regaining bball instincts! He has the tools to be an excellent offensive weapon and the length/athleticism to be a + defender. JWit works hard 100% of the time and will be a problem on O and D next season. JWit's minutes will depend on his play and the makeup of the team. JWash will get time at 4 and 5 and I expect him to excel at both! Hopefully, there will be no reason to play Tyson at 4 unless we are matching up or giving peeps a change of pace look!

CJalen WashingtonJR 6'10 230Khaman MaluachFR 7'1 250

I've replaced Lubin with JWash. Now we're only 14 inches shorter than our rival.
When looking at traditional powerhouse/national title UNC teams, does Withers and Washington really standout as a good looking frontcourt?? I cant see it.. This team could be a lot like the 04 or 05 team if we had at least 1 really good big man.. I have never seen a good UNC team with no good big man. Period.

One issue is peeps insist on extremes! I have said repeatedly that JWash should start and I believe he will. What I don't understand is why saying he should start automatically equates to him playing 30+ minutes a game???? I have way more faith in JWit as well apparently. I believe almost 100% of JWash's problems on D are health/strength/ stamina + regaining bball instincts! He has the tools to be an excellent offensive weapon and the length/athleticism to be a + defender. JWit works hard 100% of the time and will be a problem on O and D next season. JWit's minutes will depend on his play and the makeup of the team. JWash will get time at 4 and 5 and I expect him to excel at both! Hopefully, there will be no reason to play Tyson at 4 unless we are matching up or giving peeps a change of pace look!
Well said.

If we don't add another potential starter up front, I fear we may not contend for the ACC championship, but we should still make the NCAAT. And, who knows, if the improvements we want are the improvements we get, we might have a good run.

Frankly, I'd be interested to see how well Hubert can coach the team we have right now.

The 04-05 and 05-06 UNC teams did not have a lot of length either.. But 04 we had May and 05 we had Hansbrough.. Not freakin Withers and Washington.

Speaking of extremes....
June 1, 2023
"The chances of Cadeau not being All ACC at least are very slim but......I have stated on many occasions that this team is deep, good and built well enough to withstand anyone falling down!"

March 5, 2024
I really, really hope JWash does NOT transfer! He could be a dominant Big by next season and JB could be the next in line while contributing from the bench!

Speaking of extremes....
June 1, 2023
"The chances of Cadeau not being All ACC at least are very slim but......I have stated on many occasions that this team is deep, good and built well enough to withstand anyone falling down!"

Ouch. I apologize for asking the question.

I take it back. I don't apologize. In fact, I'll ask it again:

What if Cadeau is merely good?

I expect him to be 2AD. I think most of us do. But what if he only improves a modest amount?

Well said.

If we don't add another potential starter up front, I fear we may not contend for the ACC championship, but we should still make the NCAAT. And, who knows, if the improvements we want are the improvements we get, we might have a good run.

Frankly, I'd be interested to see how well Hubert can coach the team we have right now.
I agree with both you guys thou I would add that Jalen starting really depends on who we add from the portal. If we added Lubin, I would want Jalen starting at the 5 with JWit and Lubin backing up both the 4 and 5. But if we added Oeyenso I prefer he start at the 5 and Jalen have the Lubin role backing up the 4 & 5. If we got Onyenso, I would not start Jalen because he can fil in at the 4 or 5, which ever is more needed but Onyenso is NOT a 4 and I am not sold on JWit playing the 5.

Have to consider as well that last season both Jalen and JWit picked up fouls at an alarming rate for guys you need big minutes from this coming season. That alone is reason enough to make sure you can cover for them when they get foul trouble.

I have watched several Belmont games recently, wanted to get a better feel for Tyson, noticed something really interesting, at least for me. He reminds me of Brady Manek, Manek was a little bit thicker I think, may have been a inch or so taller but he has the same Manek shooting stroke, where he is already in his shooting stroke before the catch so he doesn't need as much room to get his jumper off, not nearly as much time as Ingram or Ryan needed. I have been considering Tyso as strickly a 3 before this but now I am wondering? Manek was our 4, was our 4 in the natty game & Tyson has that same quick trigger shooting stroke and is some what similar size wise, could he? I mean we did start a what near 6'6" guy at the 4 last season (yeah, I know, 7 foot reach) maybe we are in better shape at the 4 than I felt we were?

I am not sold on JWit for 20mins a game, I need to see a lot better decision making before I can feel that, maybe 15 and then see if we can inch him up to a solid 20. Onyenso I think is a 20-25min guy, let's say he earns 25mins a game. That means Jalen is looking at 15mins a game backing Onyenso up and maybe another 5mins a game backing up the 4. Let's say JWit can handle 20mins for us, I think that may be a touch to much, but 20mins to JWit, 5 for Jalen at the 4, leaves 15mins for Tyson and High. IF Tyson can handle the lion share of that it relieves the log jam at the 3, maybe 10 minutes to Tyson at the 3 with a ful 30mins more to spread around to Seth/Jack/Drake? Seth and Jack back up RJ, RJ & Seth backs up Cadeau.

From 16-22mins a game you then ahdjust his minutes to the level he is playing and that means his minutes could go either up or down, depending on what he earns.
That is a very valid point. There will be some games where Wash could thrive at the 5 and some where he might struggle against the true bigs in D1 .. but at the end of the day his money will be made as a 4 in da league. He seriously needs about 25+ or so lbs. of muscle and get out on the parking lot and back down some SUV's (aka T50 drills) .. and some basic martial arts classes might help his foot work. Wash should be a big part of UNC's game this season and a good 20+ minutes is not unreasonable at all. jmo

I agree with both you guys thou I would add that Jalen starting really depends on who we add from the portal. If we added Lubin, I would want Jalen starting at the 5 with JWit and Lubin backing up both the 4 and 5. But if we added Oeyenso I prefer he start at the 5 and Jalen have the Lubin role backing up the 4 & 5. If we got Onyenso, I would not start Jalen because he can fil in at the 4 or 5, which ever is more needed but Onyenso is NOT a 4 and I am not sold on JWit playing the 5.

Have to consider as well that last season both Jalen and JWit picked up fouls at an alarming rate for guys you need big minutes from this coming season. That alone is reason enough to make sure you can cover for them when they get foul trouble.

I have watched several Belmont games recently, wanted to get a better feel for Tyson, noticed something really interesting, at least for me. He reminds me of Brady Manek, Manek was a little bit thicker I think, may have been a inch or so taller but he has the same Manek shooting stroke, where he is already in his shooting stroke before the catch so he doesn't need as much room to get his jumper off, not nearly as much time as Ingram or Ryan needed. I have been considering Tyso as strickly a 3 before this but now I am wondering? Manek was our 4, was our 4 in the natty game & Tyson has that same quick trigger shooting stroke and is some what similar size wise, could he? I mean we did start a what near 6'6" guy at the 4 last season (yeah, I know, 7 foot reach) maybe we are in better shape at the 4 than I felt we were?

I am not sold on JWit for 20mins a game, I need to see a lot better decision making before I can feel that, maybe 15 and then see if we can inch him up to a solid 20. Onyenso I think is a 20-25min guy, let's say he earns 25mins a game. That means Jalen is looking at 15mins a game backing Onyenso up and maybe another 5mins a game backing up the 4. Let's say JWit can handle 20mins for us, I think that may be a touch to much, but 20mins to JWit, 5 for Jalen at the 4, leaves 15mins for Tyson and High. IF Tyson can handle the lion share of that it relieves the log jam at the 3, maybe 10 minutes to Tyson at the 3 with a ful 30mins more to spread around to Seth/Jack/Drake? Seth and Jack back up RJ, RJ & Seth backs up Cadeau.
I don't want to see Cade play more than spot minutes at PF, but otherwise I agree with most of what you said.

As Lubin seems to be fading in the rear view mirror, is there any word on Onyenso? Discussions? Visit? Anything?

Ouch. I apologize for asking the question.

I take it back. I don't apologize. In fact, I'll ask it again:

What if Cadeau is merely good?

I expect him to be 2AD. I think most of us do. But what if he only improves a modest amount?
Well, Cadeau was somewhere between "merely adequate" and "merely good" last season right? And we lost to what many consider an inferior opponent (I thought Alabama was a bad matchup for us). So a merely good Cadeau probably limits the March upside of this team to a degree.

But you can argue that Cadeau being merely good would be an upgrade over what he was last year. Not a knock on him, he was just a really inconsistent freshman PG.

We play with what we have and what we have are a lot of question marks that wont get answered until they start playing. Can/Will Jwash get stronger and be a quality ACC center (although more of a 4)? Can EC develop a jumpshot? If not then he is a great driving/passing PG that will never sniff the NBA. Can JWith rediscover his offense and not a be a liablilty? Can RJ still deliver? Can Tyson compete in the more competitive ACC on a nightly basis? Can the 3 new recruits coming in make an impact? I think ian Jackson gets 20+ minutes per game. Too talented not to get PT. James Brown is a forgotten man as is High but can either of them step in and provide some help. I think High can be a Brice type player at the 4.

But the question for this thread is how do we stack up to Dooks roster...we are undersized at every position. But that doesnt mean a lot. Just means we have to be the experienced team and hope we can outcoach the Cryer.

Last edited:
Outcoaching Face is a pretty low bar. I don't see someone as driven as EC accepting being "merely good" but I question if we are a bit spoiled when we are down on someone for being called, good. A good PG at UNC is usually enough to contend for an ACC crown and I would bet we get way more than good from our perimeter! Lubin to me is a luxury pick but Big O could lift us to the top of the contender list for a Natty! I have been watching some games of his, and he is a game changer on defense. His shot blocking/Intimidation/Rebounding can really impact what the opponent can do! He has the potential to get Triple doubles with one stat being blocks! He will get some quality coaching on his post moves + counters and increased strength if he joins our Family! He has the raw ability, coachability, and physical gifts to be a lottery pick eventually!

Go get 'em Hubs!

EC has to find a jumpshot or he is not good. He has to be able to knock down a couple 3's a game to free up his drives and open the paint for our list of bigs. With the bigs being the biggest question marks, EC getting a jumpshot helps those question marks.

• Sad
I don't want to see Cade play more than spot minutes at PF, but otherwise I agree with most of what you said.

As Lubin seems to be fading in the rear view mirror, is there any word on Onyenso? Discussions? Visit? Anything?
WW, I would challenge you to go back and watch some Belmont full games, you may not see what I felt I saw but I saw a lot of Brady Manek in his game, I had not thought of him in terms of Manek before going back and watching some games, I don't trust highlite packages. Right now for me the most difficult roster management concern is how to get minutes for Ian, Drake, and Seth but the more we can have Tyson away from the 3 the easier it gets for those fellas minutes. I admit, I don't really trust JWit right now for 20mins a game, no not based off of 1 shot in that bama game but more based off an entire season where there were a lot of questionable decisions he made. He just has a habit of trying to do to much and to often that ends up bad.

Onyenso, going to have to be kind of careful in what I say on this, I think had nothing changed from the time news first broke that Lubin was visiting us on a certain day that either today or tomorrow UNC fans would be celebrating his UNC commitment, that has not happened, clearly something changed. When the visit date was announced Onyense was still in the draft, still is officially but was and is not expected to stay in the draft, as opposed to Hawkins that may have played his way in to the first round of the draft, Hawkins & Ingram will stay in the draft folks!~ It was widely assumed PRIOR to Omouyi's copmmit to bama that if/when Onyense pulled out of the draft he would commit to Bama but that went in to a ditch when Omouryi commited, all the sudden Onyense became available. IT appears that there was some interest from both UNC as well as Onyense, which stil very much seems the case. Aidoo was Hubert's first pikc to be our 5 but Aidoo decided to play games so Hubert moved on to Omouryi but he commited to Bama after a short visit with us. Note what those 2 havein common, both 7ft shot blockers that hang around the paint, like Bacot did, Onyense is from that very same mold, more so than a 6'8" guy (Lubin). You don't tell a kid in on a visit with you that you are stil recruiting other guys at his position if you are all in on him, you would NEVER do that unless you have a big wild card in your hand and a 7ft 250lb big man is a heck of a wild card.

I am expecting Onyense to announce he is dropping out of the draft sometime this week and I would expect a visit to us to happen shortly afterward, I think things wil wrap up rather quickly after that.

I'm sorry but it is just not true that a PG has to make 3 3pt shots per game to be good! Our PG has to look natural taking shots and has to make some to keep the D honest and that is all! If he steps up the other aspects of his game including the mental fortitude to remain poised under pressure, he will have plenty of weapons to give the ball to! If he makes a few, then his driving and mid range game can blossom and that will also elevate us! Hubs has once again done a masterful job in getting/keeping what we need and developing what we have is all that is left! NOW if Hubs also adds Big O, watch out!

I'm sorry but it is just not true that a PG has to make 3 3pt shots per game to be good! Our PG has to look natural taking shots and has to make some to keep the D honest and that is all! If he steps up the other aspects of his game including the mental fortitude to remain poised under pressure, he will have plenty of weapons to give the ball to! If he makes a few, then his driving and mid range game can blossom and that will also elevate us! Hubs has once again done a masterful job in getting/keeping what we need and developing what we have is all that is left! NOW if Hubs also adds Big O, watch out!
So we agree EC has to make some 3's for us to be successful. I agree too.

• Haha
Please no Cadeau (or anyone) mid-range... Maybe Jalen Washington and that's it. Do not shoot mid-range jumpers. Please, for the love of everything holy. This isn't the 90's and 2000's anymore. The solution does not depend on Cadeau's mid-range game. If he can't shoot 3s, then RJ and Tyson should just shoot more 3s. It is extremely unlikely... A near mathematical impossibility that a Cadeau mid-range jumper will be as efficient as an RJ/Tyson 3.

I hope he improves around the rim. If he develops a floater game and improves his layup finishing, it will give him a layer to his scoring that he didn't have last year. Cadeau was realistically a 0 level scorer last year. Start with the first level. Ignore the second level. Hopefully the third level is to a point where he isn't scared to shoot 3s anymore.

He needs to make some 3s. Idk what the number is, but typically you need a minimum of 3 good high-volume 3pt shooters. If you think those 3 are already on the roster excluding Cadeau, then great. It's hard for me to see only 2 good high-volume shooters as having enough shooting.

It will make everything much easier if Cadeau can hold his own from 3. I won't get into it since Onyenso isn't signed, but I think a better Cadeau shooting season might be required if Onyenso is a starter. You have a pretty offensively raw and unskilled starting center there who's probably scoring most of his points on dunks and offensive rebounds. It will be harder to produce efficient offense if Cadeau remains a 0 shooter and Onyenso is the starting 5 IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: DSouthr
WW, I would challenge you to go back and watch some Belmont full games, you may not see what I felt I saw but I saw a lot of Brady Manek in his game
I liked what I saw in the Cade clips I watched, but I'd rather see JWash in the Manek role. That makes JWit play center, but if Cade and JWash attract the defenses the way they should, and if EC gets more active with alley oops, JWit could thrive in an uncrowded middle.

Notice the outside shooting potential

EC
RJ
Cade
JWash
JWit

And imagine if JWit rediscovers his outside touch, as well.

BTW, I also noticed that Cade was pretty good on the drive. I hope that translates to this level.

Not looking forward to those games at all. UNC struggled against teams with bigger backcourts last season. RJ and Cadeau give us a lot on offense but they also give up a lot on defense, especially without solid rim protector behind them. Dook is putting a big and experienced backcourt on the floor along with a big, physical frontcourt. By February Flagg may be the best player in the conference or he may be hitting a freshman wall.

In reality Scheyer has not had the success one would expect with the talent he has had and Hubert has not shown an ability to adjust if UNC cannot play the way he prefers. Both were hand picked by the hof coaches who preceded them so until they show it on the court the question will persist were they the most qualified. Both have had great runs but neither has shown the consistency the programs are used to.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Not looking forward to those games at all. UNC struggled against teams with bigger backcourts last season. RJ and Cadeau give us a lot on offense but they also give up a lot on defense, especially without solid rim protector behind them. Dook is putting a big and experienced backcourt on the floor along with a big, physical frontcourt. By February Flagg may be the best player in the conference or he may be hitting a freshman wall.

In reality Scheyer has not had the success one would expect with the talent he has had and Hubert has not shown an ability to adjust if UNC cannot play the way he prefers. Both were hand picked by the hof coaches who preceded them so until they show it on the court the question will persist were they the most qualified. Both have had great runs but neither has shown the consistency the programs are used to.
just curious..how hasn't scheyer shown any consistency in two seasons?... going 54-18 (27-9 in each), quality wins, an ACCt Title , an undefeated home slate in season 1, and an Elite 8 appearance in just two seasons

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT