ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Chris Duhon and Lance Thomas scandals. Why no punishment?

Sep 14, 2013
I know a lot of the extent of both of those but how did they weasel out of those? Also, are there any other scandals that didn't make headlines?

I'm aware of a lot of other people's problems but I want to stick to Duke. They have had a ton of skeletons but get portrayed like saints. How in the world did they skate on Lance Thomas and Duhon?

I dont know about duhon but with thomas both he and the jeweler are not compelled to speak to ncaa so there is really no way to investigate unless they decide to implicate themselves voluntarily. Ncaa does not have subpoena power.

I dont know about duhon but with thomas both he and the jeweler are not compelled to speak to ncaa so there is really no way to investigate unless they decide to implicate themselves voluntarily. Ncaa does not have subpoena power.
........NCAA when placed in their laps will hammer you....Maggetti incident he was in hs not affiliated with Duke...Lance not really a Duke issue...jeweler not a booster and Duke said they knew nothing off his independent deal with the jeweler...why would they? UNC as I said did all to themselves

........NCAA when placed in their laps will hammer you....Maggetti incident he was in hs not affiliated with Duke...Lance not really a Duke issue...jeweler not a booster and Duke said they knew nothing off his independent deal with the jeweler...why would they? UNC as I said did all to themselves

"Lance not a Dook issue"???!!!!

So when PJ drove cars which did not belong to a booster the NCAA sticks a 40 foot pole up the Heels program (what he did when in those cars is another matter, but he was nailed for impermissible benefits)
Yet Lance getting $80k of bling from a guy who isn't a booster, while playing on a title team is OK???

LMFAO

One of the greatest cover ups in all od sports, entirely orchestrated by the " leader of men"

One of the greatest cover ups in all od sports, entirely orchestrated by the " leader of men"

The Lance Thomas Affair fully avoided the fact that Lance Thomas received a "benefit" ($70,000.00 loan) that the average college student could not receive (imo). The NCAA did NOT need to prove how he received the "benefit". All that the NCAA had to prove was that he did indeed receive the loan. The lawsuit against Lance Thomas stated that much. That in and of itself is an NCAA violation (imo ;fact)...

The Lance Thomas investigation was a joke. NCAA didn't do anything because they would have had to take a title away from K, simple as that. That is why if NCAA does anything to UNC, UNC better sue the pants off of them. There was also something years back about many Duke players concentrating on sociology degrees. The private school is bullcrap. All schools who participate in NCAA sports should be forced to share the same information. Not a level playing field.

...all this is self inflicted and Marvin Austin also made it that it could not be ignored by all the attention he brought going nuts on twitter....
Common misperception. Marvin Austin's tweets weren't what brought the NCAA to campus. UNC was already on the NCAA's radar because of agent contact and impermissible benefits for football players. It was lazy/sloppy journalists who ran with the idea that a single tweet prompted an investigation.

"Lance not a Dook issue"???!!!!

So when PJ drove cars which did not belong to a booster the NCAA sticks a 40 foot pole up the Heels program (what he did when in those cars is another matter, but he was nailed for impermissible benefits)
Yet Lance getting $80k of bling from a guy who isn't a booster, while playing on a title team is OK???

LMFAO
1. When PJ's indiscretions became public he was still eligible to play for UNC and therefore under NCAA guidelines. When Thomas issue was made known he had used up his eligibility so he could not be compelled to cooperate by potential loss of eligibility.
2. If something happens at public school anyone can ask for information relating to what was known by school officials who have to comply (subject to student privacy). A private school can thumb their nose and say "suck it". Unless it is the NCAA asking and has already shown some proof of wrongdoing and not just a fishing trip the private schools are pretty much untouchable.

1. When PJ's indiscretions became public he was still eligible to play for UNC and therefore under NCAA guidelines. When Thomas issue was made known he had used up his eligibility so he could not be compelled to cooperate by potential loss of eligibility.
2. If something happens at public school anyone can ask for information relating to what was known by school officials who have to comply (subject to student privacy). A private school can thumb their nose and say "suck it". Unless it is the NCAA asking and has already shown some proof of wrongdoing and not just a fishing trip the private schools are pretty much untouchable.

^ Sorry but I disagree... All of the proof that the NCAA would need was there for the taking in this instance...

In the early 2000s, it seemed like tons of Duke players were majoring in sociology.

The Duhon stuff is the craziest though. Paying off his mom's house that was in foreclosure. Giving her an executive position at a Duke booster's company that she was not qualified for nor was it ever advertised, getting a brand new car, etc. The NCAA didn't even investigate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT