ADVERTISEMENT

Five With Fedora: Miami Game(GOHEELS.COM)

DF1972

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2006
http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=211233918
by Jeff Greenberg

After playing in a hurricane the week before, the Tar Heel football team traveled to Miami to play against the Hurricanes. It was an important matchup for both teams as they tried to rebound from losses the week before. The winner would stay firmly in the race for the Coastal Division, while the loser would put themselves in a tough spot in that race.

Despite entering the game as the underdog, UNC used a strong opening half to take control of the game. Then, down the stretch, it was the defense who stepped up to make big plays and secure the win for the Tar Heels. The win was historic for multiple reasons. It was the first time in program history that UNC beat two ranked teams on the road in the same season. In the process, wide receiver Ryan Switzer became the school’s all-time leader in receptions, breaking the record Quinshad Davis set last season. Here’s head coach Larry Fedora’s feedback on the game.

1. You mentioned that after seven games so far this season, you’re proud of where your team is right now. Does this mean your allowing yourself to stop and smell the roses a little bit? – “Oh, I don’t know about that (laughing). I am enjoying the process, which I always do. My enjoyment is a little bit different than others I guess. I’m not always the guy that’s walking around happy about the way things are going so far. Now I feel good about what this team has accomplished at this point in the season. Beating two ranked teams on the road in the same season for the first time in school history is something our guys should be proud of and enjoy for now. But I know our guys have bigger goals and they know what their process is in moving on to the next step in reaching those goals. For me, I’m still thinking about things we missed on and the things we could have done at this point. But I will say I’m proud of the way this team has fought and I’m proud at where they are right now heading into this week’s game at Virginia.”

2. When thinking of key plays or big plays in a game, people always point to touchdowns or a bug sack and fumble recovery. What was a play that stood out to you against Miami that people may have missed? – “I think the play that Myles Dorn made in chasing down their running back was a huge play. That’s a play that most people will discount and it will end up being a play that everybody forgets about. But it was absolutely a huge play. It was the only catastrophic play that our defense gave up. He runs that guy down and gets him on the ground. Instead of giving up a touchdown there, now we end up holding them to a field goal. That’s just a huge play at that moment in the game. Then for it to be a play by a true freshman who’s really been coming on in recent weeks and taking advantage of his opportunities is just awesome for our football team right now.”

3. In recent weeks, we’ve discussed the fact that the defense keeps taking a step forward in different areas. This week it seemed like the entire defense increased its physicality, would you agree? – “I agree with that assessment. And you’re right, there’s been something each week that they have done better than the week or games before. I think they’re gaining confidence because they’re feeling more comfortable with what they’re doing and that’s because their experience level is going up each game. I liked how we played against the run this week because Miami has a strong rushing attack. I think if you take away that one long run we were close to holding them to under 100 yards on the ground. After looking at the film there were six plays where we made basic mistakes. If we don’t make those mistakes on those six plays then you would have been looking at a total domination by our defense in this game. I’m happy with their progress and we will need to keep it up every week.”

4. You’re now seven games into a season where you have a new set-up with regards to the offensive coordinator position and a situation where more than one of you is involved in calling the plays. How does that process look once the game starts? – “You know, there’s not a lot of time to discuss things during a series in our offense. Our discussion usually takes place in between series. We’re talking about what to open up with each series, and what play to run after that, so that basically we’re setting up a three to four play script to begin the next series with. Then if we get further than that Coach Heckendorf is sending down the plays from the booth at that point. He bases those play calls off of the concepts we’re talking about in between series. Remember, our game plan is what we’re drawing ideas from so what Coach Heck is calling is based off of that game plan we created for that particular game. We’re in a good rhythm with each other right now mainly because it’s not unlike what we’ve always done in some ways. We’ve always talked things through with each other in between series and figured out what we want to do in relation to what’s been going on in the game. That has not changed this season.”

5. What’s the plane ride back like after a big win like the one in Miami? – “You feel really good and the guys are happy. You may be surprised but there’s not a whole lot of whooping and hollering going on. Guys are just relaxed for the ride home. They’re either watching TV or listening to their headphones. A lot of guys are sleeping. I think there’s just that feeling of relief in coming out on top of a hard-fought battle. They work hard during the week and this is when they finally get to just exhale. The coaches are pretty much on their laptops and grading the film already on the plane. They’ll try to get whatever they can get done so that they don’t have as much to do Sunday morning. Plus, everything is fresh in their mind at that point. I’m usually replaying the game in my mind and making notes. I usually don’t watch the film on the plane. I’ll go through the play-by-play sheet and make notes on things I think we need to do or make adjustments to the following week. I’ll also take that time to make notes on the trip as a whole. I’ll write notes down on everything from the movie we saw to the food we ate or the hotel set-up. I’m always looking at those details too because they’re fresh in my mind. If it was good trip I want to replicate it and if it wasn’t, then I don’t. Those plane rides are always better after a win.”

Reactions: osjr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News