ADVERTISEMENT

For the Fedora haters - Which ACC coaches would you swap him with?

I would be pumped if we beat clemson 60-55. But hey that's just me...
No team is going to win BIG, meaning not just 1 big upset per year but winning division and league titles fairly often, by average scores of 50-48. The team's D would have dead legs well before the CCG.

UNC is never going to have the cache to recruit a big and deep defensive team. For those that think otherwise, aka yourself this:

Do you ever see a team like Bama or UGa winning a national title in basketball?

In light of that, Fedora has proven he can recruit and coach up an offense that can run with any team in the country. I believe Fedora can roll out average/good teams consistently and once every 3 years or so make a run at winning the ACC title.

For me, that’s about as much as I can expect from UNC football.
Florida basketball has done what UNC never has: won back to back NCAA championships.

if Florida can do that, UNC football can, and should, be expected to win back to back ACC championships.

A great problem is that far too many UNC fans are content with football coaches who average 7.5 wins per year. Those fans assume UNC football cannot be expected to be 12-1 and in the Playoffs.

I agree woadblue. I really hope OU loses to GA because if they do end up winning it all this year I think schools will get more offensive minded and sacrifice even more on D. Like I said, I don't think 60-55 games would hold my interest for long - though I prefer it to a season of 10-7 games.

Mike Norvell. And yes, I know he doesn’t coach in the ACC. But we could get him.
Yes, we could. He played at Central Arkansas, and his wife's family lives in AR. He wanted the Hawg job, but it went to Chad Morris. Norvell would have taken the Ole Miss job, but they went with the alum who steered them as interim. His interests in Arkansas and Ole Miss likely kept Miss St from looking at him.

Now that Frost is headed to Nebraska, Norvell is probably the best young coach, at least for offense, not in a P5 job. And he is not going to be happy to be at Memphis for the next 5 years. He would take a P5 job at a place he knows can be built up by the right coach.

Reactions: Archer2
It is utterly moronic to suggest that switching from a spread offense to an option offense would result in greater attendance and fan enthusiasm.

Attendance was poor long before Fedora came here, so your logic is completely flawed anyways.

I'm sure watching the same three plays over and over again every week would really "capture the imagination" of fans. They'd be imagining how to kill themselves so they never have to watch that boring crap again.[/Q
It is utterly moronic to suggest that switching from a spread offense to an option offense would result in greater attendance and fan enthusiasm.

Attendance was poor long before Fedora came here, so your logic is completely flawed anyways.

I'm sure watching the same three plays over and over again every week would really "capture the imagination" of fans. They'd be imagining how to kill themselves so they never have to watch that boring crap again.

Attendance was at near sell out levels during Butch Davis' entire tenure as Head Football coach.

Attendance was at near sell out levels during Butch Davis' entire tenure as Head Football coach.

Lol no it wasn't. I would know because I sat through several games in a half full Kenan during his tenure.

Butch also didn't run an option offense in case you were wondering...

Yes, we could. He played at Central Arkansas, and his wife's family lives in AR. He wanted the Hawg job, but it went to Chad Morris. Norvell would have taken the Ole Miss job, but they went with the alum who steered them as interim. His interests in Arkansas and Ole Miss likely kept Miss St from looking at him.

Now that Frost is headed to Nebraska, Norvell is probably the best young coach, at least for offense, not in a P5 job. And he is not going to be happy to be at Memphis for the next 5 years. He would take a P5 job at a place he knows can be built up by the right coach.
I understand he's just signed and extension but make him an offer he can't refuse now. Otherwise, in one or two years we will be looking for a new coach and we will be that much farther behind the curve.

I thought and hoped Fed would be the answer to our prayers and make us a top 20 team perennially. That isn't the case. It's time to move on.

Reactions: skyblueheel
I understand he's just signed and extension but make him an offer he can't refuse now. Otherwise, in one or two years we will be looking for a new coach and we will be that much farther behind the curve.

I thought and hoped Fed would be the answer to our prayers and make us a top 20 team perennially. That isn't the case. It's time to move on.

Getting tired of pulling against unc football already?

Reactions: grillheel
Lol no it wasn't. I would know because I sat through several games in a half full Kenan during his tenure.

Butch also didn't run an option offense in case you were wondering...

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2007.pdf
57,417 avg.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2008.pdf
57,829 avg
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2009.pdf
56,607 avg.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2010.pdf
58,250 avg.

I don't know where you were, but it wasn't at BKS.

Why should we change the product?
Larry's style is flashy but not very intense/exciting (if it were we would have better attendance).
The attendance has nothing to do with his offense. The mostly bad D, NCAA sanctions, schedule, results and the way Butch was treated are why attendance is lower.

Our games now take way too long to play
Not sure what your point is here. All football games are long. It's not like UNC games go an extra hour.

Maybe you don't prefer to run the football, but I do and obviously Carolina has a history of running the ball which gives the fans more opportunity to engage in the game.
Here's the thing though. That history also includes 1,000 yard backs under Fedora. It is a myth that Fedora never runs the ball. He doesn't do it as much as a non spread, but he still runs the ball.

The most disturbing thing about Larry's style of play is that it has never "caught the imagination" of the average Carolina fan and attendance and enthusiasm has suffered
See my first point.

I am for any change that will get it back.
The option offense won't do that. Even the more defensive minded, power run people on this board have said they don't want it. The average fan doesn't like it and that is who is needed to fill up Kenan.

Florida basketball has done what UNC never has: won back to back NCAA championships.

if Florida can do that, UNC football can, and should, be expected to win back to back ACC championships.

A great problem is that far too many UNC fans are content with football coaches who average 7.5 wins per year. Those fans assume UNC football cannot be expected to be 12-1 and in the Playoffs.
Florida was the exception, not the rule. Donovan is a great coach and caught lighting in a bottle.

UNC fans should be content with 8-9 wins on average and an occasional 10+ winning season sprinkled in.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I've said before that I'm fine with giving Fedora a pass this year. Very few coaches would be able to have success with the amount of injuries. Next year will be the true test to determine if he can get the program back on track. The NCAA investigation is over and he will have a QB with experience.

I've said before that I'm fine with giving Fedora a pass this year. Very few coaches would be able to have success with the amount of injuries. Next year will be the true test to determine if he can get the program back on track. The NCAA investigation is over and he will have a QB with experience.
I'm ok with giving home this ONE TIME get out of jail free card, as well. We lost what?... 90+% of our offensive production, and then had nearly a whole team of starters lost to injury? Unreal.
However next year he needs to show us something good, or it is time to move on.

Last edited:
I'm ok with giving home this ONE TIME get out of jail free card, as well. We lost what?... 90+% of our offensive production, and then had nearly a whole team of starters lost to injury? Unreal.
However next year he needs to show us something good, or the new it is time to move on.

Yeah, I agree. He should go next year if there's no improvement. Otherwise, they risk falling behind in a conference that's improving at a fast rate.

woad, i was responding to tickets post that we should be content with 8 - 9 wins a year with 10+ wins occasionally. 43 wins in 6 years isn't 8 - 9 wins a year. I am not satisfied with 43 wins in 6 years.

So we shouldn't be content with Fedora so far then? 43 wins in 6 years.
woad, i was responding to tickets post that we should be content with 8 - 9 wins a year with 10+ wins occasionally. 43 wins in 6 years isn't 8 - 9 wins a year. I am not satisfied with 43 wins in 6 years.
You have to discount this past year IMO. I think he’s done very well consider the NCAA sanctions, academic scandal, and injury disaster last year. But I try not to be a prisoner of the moment.

I do believe he gets some pass for last season but that kind of gets washed away when looking over a six year period. And I think he gets some pass for coming in when he did and going through what he did. With that being said, if we don't win at least 17 games over the next two years I believe he needs to go. Would you agree ticket?

I do believe he gets some pass for last season but that kind of gets washed away when looking over a six year period. And I think he gets some pass for coming in when he did and going through what he did. With that being said, if we don't win at least 17 games over the next two years I believe he needs to go. Would you agree ticket?
15-17 in two years is more than fair at this point. But what if we win 5 next year and 11 the following year and sign multiple strong recruiting classes? Lots to consider.

The next two years are a good barometer to measure Fedora by.

I think coach will get it turned around. I cheer for UNC football every yr. When we won 11 straight I knew we hadn't arrived but it was a great season. I also knew that 8-9 wins the following season was probably the ceiling because the acc was so good. No one saw the injury God's laying the smack down on our team coming. Nick Saban couldn't have gotten bowl eligible with the amount of injuries we faced on this team. Lastly this team never quit. They were blown out in a couple of games but other than that the games were close. Even with all those freshmen having to play. Bodes well going forward but then again I am a glass half full type of guy

Last edited:
I think coach will get it turned around. I cheer for UNC football every yr. When we won 11 straight I knew we hadn't arrived but it was a great season. I also knew that 8-9 wins the following season was probably the ceiling because the account was so good. No one saw the I juries God's laying the smack down on our team coming. Nick saban couldn't have gotten bowl eligible with the with the amount of I juries we faced on this team. Lastly this team never quit. They were blown out in a couple of games but other than that the games were close. Even with all those freshmen having to play. Bodes well going forward but then again I am a glass half full type of guy

You make a good point about the young players gaining experience with all of the injuries. Hopefully that makes a difference going forward. I do think they can get back to the 7-8 win range next year. The question is whether they can go beyond it.

A couple of thoughts. I think 2016 could have easily been a 10 or 11 win season and would have given us lot of momentum coming off 2 really good seasons. I feel there's a huge difference between averaging 7 wins and 9 wins. At 9 wins you can have a rebuilding year or off year and still be bowl eligible and you're likely to get top 25 votes and get some decent TV coverage. At 7 wins average, which is where Fed is, you will have more years where you struggle to be bowl eligible, go to lower level bowls (less exposure) and interest will fall off over time. Our schedule is generally not that difficult and we should only have to beat one good team to have a legitimate shot at 9 or 10 wins.

I guess I can get on board with punting one more season if that's what it takes to get the entire fanbase to realize the ceiling of this program under the current coach. Butch getting fired alienated a lot of the fanbase that didn't think he should be fired - so I'm fine with making sure the entire fanbase is on board with getting rid of Fed. As long as it only takes me sitting through one more loss to both NCSU and Duke next year, I'm fine with it.

Reactions: Archer2
I guess I can get on board with punting one more season if that's what it takes to get the entire fanbase to realize the ceiling of this program under the current coach. Butch getting fired alienated a lot of the fanbase that didn't think he should be fired - so I'm fine with making sure the entire fanbase is on board with getting rid of Fed. As long as it only takes me sitting through one more loss to both NCSU and Duke next year, I'm fine with it.
Could Fed change your mind if he wins 7/8 next year and 10+ the following with an acc title appearance?

Could Fed change your mind if he wins 7/8 next year and 10+ the following with an acc title appearance?

If he wins 7 games next year, I wouldn't let him get to the following year. But yes, if he managed to dodge the ax for another year and got double digit wins and a division title the following year, I'd be happy and that would buy him a few more years.

And what do you think are the odds of that happening?

The problems with Fedora are not just Ws and Ls. It is that he beats no one and wins no big games.

Fedora has never beaten a P5 team OOC that finished with a winning record. Fedora has never beaten an SEC team, even an awful 3-9 SoCar team.

The glorious 11-3 team that the Faithful in Fedora cling to - we did not beat a single team that finished the season ranked. We beat 2 1AA/FCS teams. Our great OOC victory was vs. Illinois, which yet again had a Losing record. Of our 9 Wins vs. 1A/FBS teams, 4 of those teams had Losing records.

Based on next year's schedule, what would a 7-5 record mean? We play only 1 P5 OOC, Cal, and Cal has had a losing team 5 of the previous 6 seasons. ECU is at an all time low. WCU is 1AA, and far from really good 1AA. UCF will have lost its coach as well as a number of key players. Syracuse has 4 consecutive Losing seasons. We play neither Clemson nor FSU, nor Louisville nor Wake nor even BC.

So what value can be placed on a 7-5 team against that schedule?

Reactions: WhitePhantoms

The problems with Fedora are not just Ws and Ls. It is that he beats no one and wins no big games.

Fedora has never beaten a P5 team OOC that finished with a winning record. Fedora has never beaten an SEC team, even an awful 3-9 SoCar team.

The glorious 11-3 team that the Faithful in Fedora cling to - we did not beat a single team that finished the season ranked. We beat 2 1AA/FCS teams. Our great OOC victory was vs. Illinois, which yet again had a Losing record. Of our 9 Wins vs. 1A/FBS teams, 4 of those teams had Losing records.

Based on next year's schedule, what would a 7-5 record mean? We play only 1 P5 OOC, Cal, and Cal has had a losing team 5 of the previous 6 seasons. ECU is at an all time low. WCU is 1AA, and far from really good 1AA. UCF will have lost its coach as well as a number of key players. Syracuse has 4 consecutive Losing seasons. We play neither Clemson nor FSU, nor Louisville nor Wake nor even BC.

One of his biggest issues is losing to inferior teams. It seems like there's at least one each year.

woadblue, you are hitting on something I look at closely - the schedule. The number of wins is important but it's given context when viewed against your schedule. 7 wins could be a good year if we played Clemson or FSU, State was having a good year, UM and VT both are top 20 teams and we play a couple of good OOC opponents. Our schedule rarely matches this criteria. 7 wins against 10 mediocre opponents is not impressive and not something we should be OK with. We don't have full control over our schedule and we're going to play several mediocre teams - we need to beat these teams and beat them soundly.

Please don't try to use logic. We're all just Fed haters.

In spite of the terrible season this past year, the team never quit on Fedora for one second. That to me is worth a lot.

Fedora has and continues to be an excellent ambassador for UNC. Im fine with giving him 3 more seasons just like this one. Given every thing he has done for UNC, he has earned the right to try to get this thing back on track.

He still acts like a jackass in press conferences and interviews though. Wish he would change that.

Reactions: grillheel
I agree Fed has been a good ambassador and has stuck with us through some tough times. And we gave Fed a chance to be a P5 HC. I believe he deserves a couple more years to turn things around but another 3-9 season and I think we have to make a change. 3 more years of 3-9 seasons and you can get a carolina football ticket with the purchase of a BoJangles biscuit.

In spite of the terrible season this past year, the team never quit on Fedora for one second. That to me is worth a lot.

Fedora has and continues to be an excellent ambassador for UNC. Im fine with giving him 3 more seasons just like this one. Given every thing he has done for UNC, he has earned the right to try to get this thing back on track.

He still acts like a jackass in press conferences and interviews though. Wish he would change that.
You are fine with UNC football having 4 consecutive 3-win seasons?

I know more than a few of the Bunting apologists would have fought to the death (in internet terms) to give Bunting the chance to have 4 consecutive 3-win seasons, and I have made fun of the average Faithful in Fedora guy as the type to be A-OK with back to back 3 or 4-win seasons. But I would not have bet that a single Fedora defender would say he thinks Fedora deserves the chance to have 3 more 3-win seasons.

You are fine with UNC football having 4 consecutive 3-win seasons?

I know more than a few of the Bunting apologists would have fought to the death (in internet terms) to give Bunting the chance to have 4 consecutive 3-win seasons, and I have made fun of the average Faithful in Fedora guy as the type to be A-OK with back to back 3 or 4-win seasons. But I would not have bet that a single Fedora defender would say he thinks Fedora deserves the chance to have 3 more 3-win seasons.

I don't think it would have happened this year but for the injuries. So yes, I am happy to give him 3 more years of patience. However if you have a better alternative, let's hear it. Who would come to UNC if we canned Fedora now?

I think he deserves 3 years to get us back to the upper echelon of the ACC coastal.

Reactions: trig81
I'm trying to understand how someone could have 4 consecutive losing seasons and then turn things around. I don't think there's any chance of us having 4 consecutive losing seasons at this point - I don't think Fed is that bad of a coach. But I think what you see out of him over the next couple of years is what you can expect going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT