ADVERTISEMENT

From rock bottom to this moment...

dadika13

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
NYC
I don't know about you guys, but I feel great this Monday morning knowing our Heels are still playing basketball this weekend.

I was trying to think of why I was so excited this particular time so I'm just putting it down in writing to work through in my head. I'm old enough to have lived through very vivid memories of 2005, 2009, and 2017 along with a host of other final four teams and teams that were good enough to win championships like in 1998, 2012, and 2016 so this feeling shouldn't feel new. But it does.

I think the reason is that we've exceeded expectations, for the first time in quite a long time. The past 2 seasons have been very tough, both on and off the court. 2019 we were basically a top 12 team all season so our March run wasn't all that surprising and a Sweet 16 loss was even a little disappointing. 2016-2018 we were in the natty, winning it, and fresh off it respectively. I think we have to go back to 2015, 7 years ago, to get a similar feeling of a team that was mediocre during the regular season that is coming together and peaking at the right time.

There were some dark times in December-January. Between the blowout losses, losing key players, and our inexperienced head coach going through some growing pains it just didn't seem to be any light at what felt like a never ending tunnel. We questioned the hiring process, we questioned our player's hearts, their commitment to the program, and if we would ever see the success we've been so fortunate to enjoy since we've all been kids. The Wake game was probably a personal low for me as a fan because I wasn't even mad anymore, I just didn't care. This team wasn't fun nor likable.

But this team somehow emerged from that darkness and vastly exceeded all expectations that we had in mid-season. We started playing hard in every game. Our short-handed team came together with a new found trust and joy in each other's success. Our inexperienced head coach has learned from early mistakes and has brought a toughness to this team that we didn't think existed. Hubert, in just 4 short months, has the players reflecting his own personality mix of passion and fire. We're fun to watch. I find myself rooting harder for Leaky Black than 99% of other Heels from years past because we've been through the struggle with him and he's come out on the other side.

Win or lose this weekend, we have our program back. We have a coach that is getting better every day that also represents this University flawlessly. We will ride this wave into a very important offseason to regain the stability of greatness.

I'm having fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News