Georgia RB Plans NC Tour

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
Running back plans N.C. tour

By Justin Rowland
Tar Heel Illustrated Staff Writer

Suwanee (Ga.) Peachtree Ridge running back Malik Staples will visit several schools in North Carolina in the near future.

Staples didn't have the dates planned out when THI caught up with him, but just like New Jersey offensive lineman Liam Smith, Staples plans to hit up several of the state's schools at the first available opportunity. That's one of the perks of being in an area with so many Power Five programs. It makes it easier to convince players to visit early, because they can accomplish several things at once.

Staples has early offers from Boston College, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and several Group of Five and FCS schools including, more recently, Marshall. He hasn't visited any schools since the end of his football season although two football seasons ago he did visit Boston College.

What does the future hold in store for the 5-foot-11, 201-pound back.

"I got invited to Maryland and a junior day at LSU," Staples said. "I know Temple wants me to come out to see one of their practices. In two weeks I might be going on little recruiting trips, maybe to North Carolina State, UNC and Duke. That's really what's planned for now."

Where do the North Carolina schools stand with Staples?

North Carolina: "I'm not sure of who the new recruiter is. Before it was Ron West but I know he's at another school now. I'm not sure who the new recruiter is. I don't know much about (UNC) but I know it's a great school. I've been up there I think one time before. I know a guy on the track team - Kenny Sumlin. He talks highly of them. I know he likes it up there. So I know it's a great school."

Duke: "When Duke came by they just gave a bunch of us on the football team a questionnaire. I want to go up there to see what it's like."

NC State: "NC State was really interested but their coach was real with me. They let me know they probably won't offer me because they're not going to go for a running back in 2016. They took three running backs this year in 2015 and now they have six running backs. But if something changes they'll let me know."
This post was edited on 2/13 2:12 AM by Andrew Jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News