ADVERTISEMENT

Get Stack!

coolwaterunc

Hall of Famer
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
giphy.gif

That dunk and game are legendary. And of course, it being against duke was awesome. But IMO, that dunk is a bit overrated. Don’t get me wrong, it was great and it’s a staple highlight of The Rivalry. What gets lost in the story of that game though is that Sheed had at least 3 facial dunks that were equally as awesome. Furthermore, I thought Stack’s dunk earlier in the season against VT in the Greensboro Coliseum was better.

Golden Era of ACC hoops and probably the sport of basketball in general. The 80s and 90s produced so much drama and so many legendary players at both the college and professional level.
There was such a thrill watching all those greats. From MJ to literally bleeding Carolina blue. The dread/excitment of murders row of the ACC and dook 2x. Trash talking moo fans. When the season ended, I would scour magazines and the ESPN ticker for any news of UNC basketball.
It's extremely hard to get it up for sports today. So much has changed.

Golden Era of ACC hoops and probably the sport of basketball in general. The 80s and 90s produced so much drama and so many legendary players at both the college and professional level.
I agree but disagree. The seventies belongs there too. I have never enjoyed UNC BB and college basketball in general more than watching those Packer/Thacker announced games on TV, and to me Phil Ford was the best of them all. The superstar recruits weren't there quite so much, but the level of basketball was arguably better before the supers brought their skills (and their egos) to the Hill. I think Dean did his best coaching then, because he had those teams playing like a fine watch.

Talent is talent and there's no substitute, but teamwork is just as important and arguably more gratifying to see. The game in the ACC was much purer then, and even though the officiating was sometimes a show within the show, they actually called traveling and controlled the physicality. Plus, those telecasts made the ACC what they are. It was wonderful, no hype.

But I agree, so were the next two decades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT