ADVERTISEMENT

Good read on Danny Green, Pop and Roy

I am really happy for Danny, really good kid and truth is he had it tuff growing up. Awesome to see him now successful and yet still the humble genuine good young man he was at UNC. Maybe more than anyone else, at least since Roy has been back home, Danny reflects Roy's persona.

Yet again, this is the kind of message recruits thinking about UNC need to be getting, the kind of message that turns their heads and shows value of our coach, our program, and the quality of kids we turn out. This is more important than NCAA clouds or rushing them in to a league they are not ready for.

Yeah, it is great to spend a couple semesters in college and skip off to become the next millionaire on draft night. But that isn't the real money, the real money is not getting to the NBA, the real money is sticking in the NBA. The real money is winning NBA titles, the real money is being considered to be a value to your NBA team to the extent that they keep yu and cut another guy that may be even more talented but more expensive.

I would love to see Roy tell/ask every single recruit he talks to, is it more important for you to get to the NBA or to stay in the NBA for a long career and win NBA titles? Karl Townes got to the NBA as its first pick but there are already whispers that he may already be considered a bust.

Awesome response DSouthr... Shows how much of a class guy Roy is for he and Pop to have a great friendship where Pop can call Roy up and say "hey.. we gotta talk to Danny..." I'm sure Pop wouldn't do that with just any college coach.

I like that he is humble enough/smart enough to recognize how much his success is tied to playing for Pop and with the Spurs system. Taking less money now may guarantee him another nice contract 4 years from now, whereas if he went to a team that didn't get him good rhythm looks all night every night, that might ruin his career. Hopefully little brother comes to Carolina soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT