ADVERTISEMENT

"He knew what he signed up for."

General Kelly summed up what Trump said pretty well. He said all soldiers know what they are signing up for and there is no place or people they would rather be with.

Reactions: heelbent
General Kelly summed up what Trump said pretty well. He said all soldiers know what they are signing up for and there is no place or people they would rather be with.
That statement is direct and true. No doubt about it. Saying it to the guy's widow just shows his lack of tact and empathy. It probably sounds more coarse and harsh to the widow than maybe the guy's fellow soldiers. It's being blown out of proportion at this point. But, again, Trump will keep doing what he does unless he's made aware that what he is doing is insensitive. I don't think he has the capacity to understand that. Even if he did, I don't think he cares. So, he'll continue to be crude and lack sensitivity. That's why his base loves him.

That statement is direct and true. No doubt about it. Saying it to the guy's widow just shows his lack of tact and empathy. It probably sounds more coarse and harsh to the widow than maybe the guy's fellow soldiers. It's being blown out of proportion at this point. But, again, Trump will keep doing what he does unless he's made aware that what he is doing is insensitive. I don't think he has the capacity to understand that. Even if he did, I don't think he cares. So, he'll continue to be crude and lack sensitivity. That's why his base loves him.

I agree with all of that.

tumblr_mcgtl2AsU11qa8s6jo1_r2_1280.jpg
Something fn wrong with it's left leg knee skin shit, wtf?

First, I will give ANY President the benefit of the doubt when trying to come up with words to say to the mother/wife of a soldier, sailor or Marine who has just been killed. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to say anything to someone who just lost their loved one after, in most cases, you had at least some part in them being where they are when they are killed. Aside from that, there isn't anything you could possibly say that will comfort them or make any of it any better. When you add in the fact the President is usually on his way somewhere or about to do something important almost 90% of the time they are awake, calls like this are usually not done when the President has had time to think about what he will say and how he will say it. For those reasons, I could easily see where mixing up words, stumbling over a phrase or completely botching what you are trying to say could and does happen. I would no more fault Obama, Clinton or Bush for something like that than Trump.

Public speaking is no easy task. Some people can roll with the best and never flinch. Others are not nearly as eloquent. Trump falls into that latter category. He isn't very articulate and comes across as brash, or even harsh at times. But that is who he is. His gift is in getting things done. He made billions that way and most people like that are pretty harsh. They didn't get where they were by being "nice".

Where I DO have a problem is people so hell bent on nailing Trump on anything, that they will stoop to using what should have been a private, intimate conversation as political fodder. This idiot in the sequinned Jessie the Cowgirl Halloween costume already had a beef with Trump and was absolutely out of line for even mentioning it. If it had been Cruz doing it to Obama I would feel the same way.

The reality is NOTHING is sacred anymore. Everything is politicized and used for political gain and that is really sad. There are plenty of questions about all of this we should be asking, but what was spoken to this widow isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I agree with all of that.

I agree.

I certainly don't think Trump was trying to be a jerk here. I feel like there are plenty of things to criticize him about. This seems kind of silly. I'm a big fan of trying to understand intent and perspective. If it was meant to be a positive (and I can understand where it was) people should be smart enough to get that IMO.

If it was meant to be a positive (and I can understand where it was) people should be smart enough to get that IMO.

They're definitely smart enough to get that. They just choose not to because it's an opportunity to bash Trump. That's what a lot of people live for these days.

Reactions: Louigi
Lol the right bitched when Obama didn't salute properly. Now they defend blatant insensitivity, and they're silent when Trump doesn't even show up for fallen soldier's arrival home because he's too busy playing golf. Half of you would have been hysterical if Obama had done that, now you want to complain about people nailing Trump on his bullshit.

He's a moron. The reason you think people are obsessed with bashing him, is because he constantly says and does dumbass shit to get himself bashed. And as a result people are forced to constantly call him on it. Do you just expect people to let it slide when he speaks like a spoiled twelve year old man-baby?

Now they defend blatant insensitivity

I don't defend his insensitivity. I just happen to really like his insensitivity, and wish more people were as insensitive as he is. Bash it if you want though, it doesn't matter to me.

Do you just expect people to let it slide when he speaks like a spoiled twelve year old man-baby?

Sort of. Because I'm trying to figure out the goal of continuously harping on it and beating a dead horse. It's almost as if people believe it'll change if they call him out on it enough. But that would be stupid to think that.

Reactions: Louigi
I don't defend his insensitivity. I just happen to really like his insensitivity, and wish more people were as insensitive as he is. Bash it if you want though, it doesn't matter to me.

Sort of. Because I'm trying to figure out the goal of continuously harping on it and beating a dead horse. It's almost as if people believe it'll change if they call him out on it enough. But that would be stupid to think that.

The point is to change people's minds. A sizable percentage of the population still supports this moron, and denies any wrongdoing on his part.

You're still ignoring the golf course bit, and the blatant lying and stupidity. Instead you focus on how you love his insensitivity. This is why people won't stop bashing him. Because we're tired of watching otherwise intelligent people pretend that what's going on in the White House is acceptable on any level. We're tired of the endless confirmation bias and obfuscation.

Now the Trump camp is suggesting that its un-patriotic to criticize the POTUS or his chief of staff. Meanwhile the rest of us realize that Trump couldn't find Niger on a world map if his life depended on it.

Reactions: SorryNotSorry
I just would like people to be less offended by insensitivity.
Basically, if you're not offended, then whoever is offended is probably just overreacting. So, you kinda like it when people like Trump continue to behave in ways that upset and/or offend those people who are too sensitive, in your opinion?

Lol the right bitched when Obama didn't salute properly. Now they defend blatant insensitivity, and they're silent when Trump doesn't even show up for fallen soldier's arrival home because he's too busy playing golf. Half of you would have been hysterical if Obama had done that, now you want to complain about people nailing Trump on his bullshit.

He's a moron. The reason you think people are obsessed with bashing him, is because he constantly says and does dumbass shit to get himself bashed. And as a result people are forced to constantly call him on it. Do you just expect people to let it slide when he speaks like a spoiled twelve year old man-baby?

Well, the right was dumb for bitching about that. The left is dumb for bitching about this.

Reactions: strummingram

One question. Why are YOU so sensitive about people bashing Trump? This "don't get offended" crap works both ways you know...lol

You're still ignoring the golf course bit, and the blatant lying and stupidity. Instead you focus on how you love his insensitivity. This is why people won't stop bashing him.

I'm not ignoring those things, I acknowledge them and agree he lies and is stupid. I guess I just don't care about that as much as some of you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT