ADVERTISEMENT

Heavy heart - therapeutic post for me (very long)

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
At 3:28 am yesterday morning, my friend died. It sucked. He was a son, father, brother, husband and dear friend to many people. He was also a small business owner that had overcome some adversity to build a life for himself and his family. He was 40 years old.

20 years ago he made a mistake - a big one that resulted in a woman dying and him spending 6 years in prison. But let me assure you that he was no criminal. He was a good man with a huge heart that, like I said, made a very poor choice that cost another family greatly and cost him 6 years of what would eventually be a fairly short life. He struggled immensely with his past. I know that it haunted him frequently. And what scares me is that he never reconciled his past before moving on. If I had one wish to be granted today, it's that I could be assured that he found peace before dying. Because he should be proud of many things. He picked up the pieces, started a successful business, got married, fathered 2 amazing little girls (6 and 5 years old) and was a community-minded individual that gave back at every chance he got.

In late February, his family and mine were sleigh riding together. He mentioned that he was really laboring to breathe and said he "needed to get himself in better shape". He wasn't overweight at all. At 6'1, 190 lbs, he played tennis often and looked like a regular ol' guy at 40. He used to be a smoker but gave it up maybe a year or so ago. Still a drinker (and the irony of that was that drinking created his problems but was the only relief from those problems that he knew), but otherwise, he ate right and lived a normal lifestyle. Anyway, he went on for another couple weeks continuing to struggle with shortness of breath. Finally, his wife made him go to the doctor. He found out that day that his heart was functioning at only 30% and was admitted into the hospital.

About a week later, he was released. The doctors had put him on medication to strengthen his heart and with some cardio rehab and medication, he should be close to normal in about 3-6 months. But after being home for a week or so, he had to go back in the hospital. And things went downhill quickly. His heart was not responding to the meds at all and he almost died the day he went back in. They airlifted him later that evening to MCV in Richmond, VA where he would be for the next 8 weeks. I stayed in touch with his mom and she created a facebook page to follow the happenings and all of us on the outside were led to believe that he was improving. Granted, there were some significant procedures along the way - we're talking completely opening up his chest and inserting devices to help his heart function correctly. The plan was that this would help in the interim and that he would be on the list for a heart transplant. This news alone was pretty sobering - a man, my age was having to have a heart transplant all because he got a viral infection in his blood that, because it wasn't treated in a timely fashion, made its way to his heart and started to kill his heart.

For 7 weeks, he laid in a hospital bed. He didn't take a breath of fresh air outside the hospital for 7 weeks. They finally posted a picture on the facebook page of him in a wheelchair out in the sun in May. Again, those of us on the outside took this a step forward and a sign that our buddy was improving and would be back home shortly. And he was. He came home about 10 days ago. But by this time, we all knew the LVAD device had to be taken out because his blood was clotting it. But his mom's facebook posts were still very positive and hopeful. He supposedly was coming home because he needed to show that he could live with the meds for 6 months before getting the transplant.

3 days later, he was once again admitted back into the hospital...for the last time. I got the news on Monday when I was in Philly for work that things had gone south quickly and that he was fighting for his life. I wasn't scheduled to leave Philly until Wednesday at 2:00 pm on a train. I was so anxious. I had friends calling me and giving me updates because they were dropping by to see him. He was asking for me and I was 3 states away. All I wanted was to see him again. He made it through Monday and Tuesday night by the smallest of margins. At 3:00 pm on Wednesday, I'm on the train heading back to town when I get a message that they'd taken him off life support. The end was growing nigh. My train was to arrive back in town at 8:30 pm and it was indeed on time. I immediately rushed to the hospital. It was just family at this point but his mom allowed me to go in and spend some time with him. He was unresponsive but still alive. I held his hand and told him that he has a lot to be proud of. His wife assured me that even though he wasn't talking, he knew I was there and could hear me. I'm not sure that's true but I chose to believe her. It was a gruesome sight. This man, who only 4 months ago was a vibrant and active 40 year old man, was gasping for breaths every 10 seconds or so. F*cking brutal. I cried with his wife and sister for maybe 20 minutes and then said my final goodbyes.

We celebrated his life last night at his home with probably 100 folks. It was more laughter, story telling and fun than I expected. But through it all, I can't seem to get past his fighting those demons. We all make mistakes - some bigger than others. But in the end, shouldn't the kindness and love in one's heart be what we are all judged by? I pray that's how the big man upstairs sees it. And I pray that even if only instantly before finally taking his last breath, my friend realized it.

So it may sound cliche, but don't take one second of this life for granted. Tell those you love that you love them. Stop telling your kids to hurry up. Instead, draw them out, cherish and hold onto those moments like they are gold. You never know how much time you have. I've heard people say those things to me all my life. And I never really paid them any attention. I guess it takes someone close to you going too soon before you actually take it to heart. I know it's had a profound impact on me. And if nothing else, I hope my good friend is looking down on me and feels good about the new perspective I have gained.

Thanks for reading.

Wow. Getting pretty dusty in here.

Everyone deserves a second chance, and sometimes a third or fourth as well. If I'm reading it right, his crime wasn't one of malice. Yes, we should all be judged by our kindness and the love in our hearts. In fact, I'd argue that's all that truly matters in this life. I think your friend had that figured out, even if he couldn't escape his past.

Very sorry to hear this news, GSD. I'm young enough that it's only happened once, but I've lost a very dear friend as well. It's painful and profound. Praying for you, your friend, and his family.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Very elegantly and poignantly written, my friend. I'm really sorry for your loss and pray that God comforts you and all his family and friends during this very difficult time.

Very elegantly and poignantly written, my friend. I'm really sorry for your loss and pray that God comforts you and all his family and friends during this very difficult time.

71-00,
He was close friends with some of your Keydet buddies. If you stay in regular touch with any of them, I'm sure you'll hear similar stories from them.

To everyone else, thank you for your expressed concern.

As those before me, I too would like to express sincere condolences to you and your friend's family during this difficult time.

Wow. This is a bad day. I lost a friend and coworker today unexpentantly. He was on 38 with 2 small children a wife. It was tragic and unexpected.

First of all, I would like to offer my condolences GSD. Some of the best people in the world are those who struggle with some adversity or tragedy such as you described your friend having earlier in his life. They've known adversity, known struggle, and known loss, but they found their way out. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that probably touches those around them in a positive way.

Obviously your friend thought a lot of you. Sometimes being closer to death provides clarity for some and I think it is ok to believe part of you went with your friend and part of him stayed with you. I think it is ok to believe he was asking for you because he needed whatever comfort you provide before he left and that he wanted you to know that. And I believe it is ok to think he left you with the part that remembers what a good man he was. I believe you will find comfort in this.

God Bless my friend.

Gunslingerdick, this is indeed a very sad story. I am glad you were able to say goodbye in person. You just never know and like you said tell the people you love that you love them often. Life is tragic and brief make the most of it. As far as the event that your friend spent 6 yrs in prison for , I have heard a preacher say that when you ask God to forgive you that not only does he forgive you but he forgets your transgression ! God Bless the wife and children he left behind !

I am so sorry for the lost of your good friend. Life can be really cruel and many times does not make sense at all. I also really feel for his kids. One of my girl scouts lost her mom to breast cancer 2 yrs ago yesterday. She is deeply struggling on a daily basis. Nothing takes the place of a lost parent.

gsd, very sorry to read this...i'm also glad we have a chance to read things like this...i'm sure he knows exactly how you feel.

i absolutely believe everything you posted about life...admittedly, sometimes i forget, but i try the best i can.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and support. It's been rough and is is going to get even rougher over the next few days.

My friend's wishes were to be buried on his family's property in Nelson County, VA (about 45 minutes from Lynchburg). He used to go to this property as a child and pick apples with his sister and grandfather and make cider. He wants the same for his children. His wishes were to be buried, no headstone and instead, an apple tree and an old antique apple press marking his grave. There will be a small, private gathering on Monday afternoon. However, I have been asked to help in preparing the grave site. Yes, this means exactly what you might be thinking. Me and 6-7 other friends of his will be digging a grave tomorrow afternoon for our friend. His family, because of some spiritual beliefs, are not comfortable with using an excavator to do the work. We will dig the grave by hand. Ugh. My first thought about this was that it is disturbing and morbid. But I think it may end up being a beautiful thing. At least, I hope so. The casket was handmade by another friend of ours that is skilled in woodworking. The casket is cherry wood and was finished with olive oil - a tribute to our friend's life in culinary arts. It is beautiful but understated - just like our friend.

I will probably write another entry in this thread next week sometime after I have processed this all. This has become a journal of sorts for me to share my feelings. Again thanks to those of you that have been supportive. Maybe this thread will help you process future painful experiences better.

This past Sunday, 14 of us gathered on my friend's property at roughly noon. We unpacked our tools, cracked open the coolers, turned the music up and went to work. We measured and measured again. And then we took turns with shovels, digging bars and a mattock. It was really impressive the way we worked. Obviously, not all 14 of us could work at the same time, so 6 of us were on while the others enjoyed a beer and some story telling. Then we'd hop in there to give those working a break. Every 15 minutes was a shift change. Some of us were on other detail like chainsawing and weedeating the surrounding area for the next day's event. For approximately 6 hours, 14 of us worked our dicks into the dirt to make our friend's final resting place. My friend's mom, sister and stepdad came up to the property late in the day. They brought us fried chicken and potato salad. We were about finished by this point so by now we were just drinking and having fun. The deceased's brother-in-law broke out a bottle of 40 year old Wild Turkey. A fifth doesn't last long with 14 of us on that thing. But it was a nice tribute too. The bourbon was made the same year my friend was born. Oh, and the guy that made the casket told us all that he went back to the tree stump of the cherry tree from which he used the wood to make the casket and there were 40 rings on the stump - I'm not shitting you. My friend's mom was moved to tears by all of this. As my last post stated, I was skeptical about this experience. But it was indeed glorious. This was an experience like no other. It was symbolic for some of us, fun for most of us and therapeutic for all of us.

Then yesterday was the burial ceremony. There were only about 40 of us in attendance. My buddy's sister was the facilitator but they had an 80 year old black woman pastor that the family had known for over 40 years provide remarks. Then my friend's 5 year old daughter said a prayer as she threw her rose down on top of her daddy's casket and all of us melted down. To conclude the ceremony, they asked anyone who wanted, to shovel some dirt on top. Only about 10 people or so did. The rest was left for us - the same guys that made the hole now had to fill it. We planted a Virginia Hewe apple tree to finish it off.

My friend's mom has been very open about all of this on Facebook. From when it started back in March up until yesterday, she's posted her thoughts and even pictures on Facebook. She even took a picture of the 14 of us standing over the grave after we had finished and posted that on Facebook. At first, I was very uncomfortable with it. Social media has ruined certain moments. Some memories should be only for those that took part - especially something as intimate as preparing a grave site. But after seeing all the wonderful comments from people across the country that had supported my friend and his family through all of this, I kind of figured they were owed some semblance of closure as well. It's just a different world we live in now. I might decide to post a couple pictures in this thread. But if I do, I'll post them, let them stay up for maybe a day or so and then I'll remove them. I'm not sure why I feel compelled to do that. Maybe because y'all have been good enough to read.

This Saturday, there will be a memorial service for him here in town. I expect 250-300 folks to be there. Personally, I have gotten the closure I needed and will begrudgingly attend. But I realize that not everyone was as lucky as I. So we'll do one more tribute to my friend and then we'll move on. Life moves on. My buddy's spirit will live on in his two daughters, in his sister, in his mother, his friends, his employees....everyone that knew him.

Farewell.

Just now saw this. Very sorry for your loss, GSD. He seemed like an awesome friend to have, and I'm glad he rebounded the way he did. Cherish those memories for the rest of your life.

Oh, and the guy that made the casket told us all that he went back to the tree stump of the cherry tree from which he used the wood to make the casket and there were 40 rings on the stump.
That is awesome.
Life moves on.
And that's the kicker. No matter how much grief and suffering you endure, the world keeps turning. I'm glad to hear you feel like you've gotten closure. Honoring his final wishes was a great way to pay homage to him. It sounds like it gave you a chance to celebrate his life, and he probably knew that when he made the decision.

Honoring his final wishes was a great way to pay homage to him. It sounds like it gave you a chance to celebrate his life, and he probably knew that when he made the decision.

Yep. I told his mom he was a genius. Because of the 13 other guys there that day, I only stay in regular touch with 3 or 4 of them. The others I don't ever see - some not for the last 20 years. It was awesome to see all of us there...in one place...doing what we did. The camaraderie was special. I've already made plans to reconnect with a couple guys more frequently. I know that's exactly what my friend was hoping for.

Thanks for sharing, Guns . . I'll be looking forward to anything you also want to share up on the board.

What a really a cool story on the 40 ring cherry tree . .

Thank you for sharing all of this. It was thought-provoking, moving, and made me reflect on many things in my own life and the lives of people I care about. I hope that he was able to find peace in the end, just like I hope we all can find peace because we are all sinners to some degree and make mistakes we regret.

I am very sorry for your loss but glad that you have begun to find closure. Again, thank you for posting.

So sorry for your loss GSD. I lost my brother and best friend to a heart problem when he was 40 as well. While the deep pain does eventually subside, it never totally goes away. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him in some way. God Bless you and this mans family.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT