ADVERTISEMENT

Heels getting Bahamas exhibitions again...

Coby White starts at 1. Seventh will be a good back-up

You know Roy loves Coby's go-go-go attitude. I believe we'll see more of this.
I hope Seventh is okay, it looked like he might have hit his head..? when he landed.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Sterling with 8 points, 7 boards, and 4 assists?
So... FWIW in a summer exhibition, lessee
We scored 112
6 guys in double figures
(Brooks 18, Coby 18, Kenny 12, Andrew 11, Nas 11, 7th 11)
13 boards for big Manley
We hit our FTs
All good.

The bad
(and somewhat expected) - we turned it over a shit-ton of times.
And didn't hit diddly from 3 (KW and Andrew the only ones to make)

Reactions: FranktheHeel
So... FWIW in a summer exhibition, lessee
We scored 112
6 guys in double figures
(Brooks 18, Coby 18, Kenny 12, Andrew 11, Nas 11, 7th 11)
13 boards for big Manley
We hit our FTs
All good.

The bad
(and somewhat expected) - we turned it over a shit-ton of times.
And didn't hit diddly from 3 (KW and Andrew the only ones to make)

Cam will help with some of the problems from 3. Plus, we only took 13 3PA.

The thing that always bothers me about Carolina is that we only know how to play at 1 speed. We get up 12 to 15 points in a game and then instead of walking the ball up we turn the ball over 3 times,take 3 bad shots and the lead is down to absolutely nothing. A good basketball team knows when it's time to push but it also knows when it's time to slow down and be smart.

Very weird not seeing JB and Theo out there! I like the easy points for GB and the bigs - the more penetration from our guards, the better.
I agree and White is bigger than peeps we've had in the past. I love how he finishes still standing through contact, and looked for a few passes also while driving. Opens up the floor a whole lot more.

The thing that always bothers me about Carolina is that we only know how to play at 1 speed. We get up 12 to 15 points in a game and then instead of walking the ball up we turn the ball over 3 times,take 3 bad shots and the lead is down to absolutely nothing. A good basketball team knows when it's time to push but it also knows when it's time to slow down and be smart.
When we slow down we usually lose leads because we don't score like we usually do then.

Oh yeah, the 3-ball isn't a big worry with this bunch. The TO thing however is the one I expected and was afraid of.

TOs will even out. When you play so many different lineups, its hard to find a rhythm and get in sync with your teammates. With our pace, Roy likes it in the 12-15 range. May be a little higher than that this year without JB, but I think we're a more athletic and versatile team all the way around.

TOs will even out. When you play so many different lineups, its hard to find a rhythm and get in sync with your teammates. With our pace, Roy likes it in the 12-15 range. May be a little higher than that this year without JB, but I think we're a more athletic and versatile team all the way around.
Perhaps... but that one glaring deficiency goes beyond just TOs. Also, this was against straight, unorganized Man D --- and apparently not very good Man D, given that we scored 112 while only making three 3s.

Anyway, Coach, you and I both know we can't read too much into a summer glorified scrimmge on a vacation trip. And I'm not really worried about the TOs from the frontcourt players --- I saw Nas had a bunch (prolly trying to do too much) and Sterling (although I'll take a 1/1 ratio from a big any day). That being said, the TO # from the 1s IS concerning and (unfortunately) didn't surprise me.

The game plan I don't want them to change is running, which was a response to another post. I'm still not worried about TOs in August though.
Brother.... we'll NEVER change running. No worries there.

That ain't what the TOs are about. Roy didn't like those August TOs against a physically overmatched team and neither do I.

Anyone else think Sterling looked absolutely massive out there? He's got to be 7 feet tall.

Andrew also had a good game. He's morphing into a quality contributer in front of our eyes.

The forgotten man of this recruiting class, Rechon, very much looked like he belonged. He's very long and athletic, and he seems to play good defense. This kid has a high ceiling.

That ain't what the TOs are about. Roy didn't like those August TOs against a physically overmatched team and neither do I.

I'm a sister, but it's all good. We're all Heels fans.

Of course, Roy isn't happy. He rarely is.That's his job. There were times last year, when he wasn't happy with the TOs. I'll be more concerned, if we get to December & have that many turnovers.

Anyone else think Sterling looked absolutely massive out there? He's got to be 7 feet tall.

Andrew also had a good game. He's morphing into a quality contributer in front of our eyes.

The forgotten man of this recruiting class, Rechon, very much looked like he belonged. He's very long and athletic, and he seems to play good defense. This kid has a high ceiling.

Sterling looked like a giant in the group picture. I hope he has gained strength & worked on his cardio this summer. He could be a real game changer this season. He already had the moves last season.

I also noticed how much taller Cam was than Luke in a balcony picture I saw. He's at least 6'9", if Luke is 6'8". He actually looked a little taller than that. Fingers crossed that he's healthy all season.

I wish we could have seen the whole game. I would have loved to see everyone play. I am looking forward to seeing how Rechon looks in game play. He's definitely tall for a guard.

From what I’ve been reading it seems like Platek showed a lot of confidence today, played with a lot of energy on the defensive end- diving on the floor for loose balls and stepping up during various parts of the game as a vocal leader on the court- getting guys in the right spots. You could also see this confidence in him during his post-game interview too. I really believe that he is going to be an important factor for us this year off the bench more than we think and at the end of his 4 years we are going to be very glad he is a Tar Heel.

I really love Coby White, he always seems to be in attack mode and good luck stopping him when he is. I know it was just an exhibition, but seeing him in those clips with the mindset he plays with of constantly push the ball up the floor into the teeth of defenders and being able to get into the lane will make him a big factor for us offensively. I see him as someone who is going to be making a lot of trips to the line. Also, something that I have been thinking about with Coby is his ability to drive and create for others. If he can consistently break down a defense effectively, and drive and dish to an open man in the post or a shooter out on the perimeter this will create a good amount of spacing on the floor while also making him one tough task to guard as defenses will now need to respect this part of his game in addition to his ability to drive it and take it to the rack himself.

Garrison looks to be in really good physical shape (said he gained 15lbs) which is very encouraging and certainly shows that he put in a lot of work on his body in the offseason. Also, I saw that Sterling started which must mean he passed the final conditioning test which I’m very happy to see. Two good nights for both guys and I'm looking forward to seeing them building off this and continuing to improve, we need both of them to be solid contributors this year.

Roy also said we have only had four practices... Rust is gonna be an issue. Heck ky had a game with a bajillion turnovers in the Bahamas as well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT