ADVERTISEMENT

Hicks

Coach Williams said today that he won't know anything until after tomorrow's practice.

I seriously doubt he goes against moo ... good game for Tony, BRob and 7th to get some minutes and much needed experience headed in to the stretch.
Hamstrings, as with any soft tissue injuries, are somewhat tricky and problematic to completely recover from .. but much more difficult in older players. Figure him to be good to go by the weekend but you never know. jmho

As bad as they are, I have a feeling we're gonna go to the wire with those fools. This team does not play well on the road and has played down to the competition most notably against ga tech, Miami, and Clemson.

As bad as they are, I have a feeling we're gonna go to the wire with those fools. This team does not play well on the road and has played down to the competition most notably against ga tech, Miami, and Clemson.

Yeah .. they played down to the comp really well against Wake. Gott is done and the biggest concern about moo is if Anya's on the court and steps on Theo's (or anyone elses) foot. That dude is an embarrassment to NCAA bball and a testament to manure shoveler U 's conditioning program. jmho

Yeah .. they played down to the comp really well against Wake. Gott is done and the biggest concern about moo is if Anya's on the court and steps on Theo's (or anyone elses) foot. That dude is an embarrassment to NCAA bball and a testament to manure shoveler U 's conditioning program. jmho

Huh? I didn't say anything about Wake. I think they're decent.

I love Danny Manning. There is only one thing he could have done better in his career! I wish the best for him and Wake. I really hope the Pups extend Gotty's contract. He is so great for UNC! I wonder what is going on with Anya; his balooning is sabotaging his career!

I seriously doubt he goes against moo ... good game for Tony, BRob and 7th to get some minutes and much needed experience headed in to the stretch.

I disagree. We cannot chance a loss to a bad moo team at this point in the year when every game is counting as two. If we have real aspirations of winning the ACC reg season and getting a 1 seed, we can only afford one more loss max (at UVa). So if Hicks is ready at all, he needs to be out there. This is the season for Dennis Smith and moo. Smith would love to say that during his one year in college, he showed off against duke and Carolina. And the wolpfack's season is is built around this one game more than any other - especially after we beat them by 50+ at our place. We absolutely cannot have a let down.

I disagree. We cannot chance a loss to a bad moo team at this point in the year when every game is counting as two. If we have real aspirations of winning the ACC reg season and getting a 1 seed, we can only afford one more loss max (at UVa). So if Hicks is ready at all, he needs to be out there. This is the season for Dennis Smith and moo. Smith would love to say that during his one year in college, he showed off against duke and Carolina. And the wolpfack's season is is built around this one game more than any other - especially after we beat them by 50+ at our place. We absolutely cannot have a let down.
The scale of that beatdown was so vast that it's hard to grasp. We know that they are a much better team than that, talent-wise. They should be able to stay with us at nearly every position. But they just fell apart.

Our court. And I venture to say some of their guys had never seen that kind of intensity before. Heck, we aren't accustomed to that kind of relentlessness from our guys.

But here's the thing... We ran out to a 33-7 lead in the first quarter. It would be wishful thinking to think that will happen again.

We clearly demoralized them. We broke their spirit. Unless they've already decided to phone it in for the rest of the year, they should be really up for this rematch.

OTOH, as badly as Gott has coached this talented team, maybe they would rather make him look bad than get revenge. But if I put myself in their shoes, I think revenge wins.

Doesn't mean they can beat us. But if we would be nuts to give them any opening.

The flip side is how do you convince your team of youngsters to take them seriously?

Our juniors and seniors have tasted defeat at their hands, but only once and never in Raleigh. And only 2 State players are left from that team (Abu and Anya).

If you're Roy, how do you get your team to gear up for the battle we are likely to face?

If Roy has to get our team up for any game at this point then we got more issues than State does......

I'm not sure what is going on with NCSU. They seem a bit in disarray. That and Anya is a question mark. Is he okay? Will he play? Or is he at the buffet?

ESPN has a story that Gott is OUT at seasons end UNLESS they beat us and make a tourney run

I got a BAD feeling about tonight, TWO of our guys may not play ....desperate team with the coach's job on the line Rabid fans that hate our guts...it all lines up now doesn't it???

Reactions: Archer2
We shouldn't have to motivate them, they should be motivated by pride and a desire to win the regular season. I think State will give us a tough game because of pride, if nothing else. I hope our guys don't overlook them. I'm worried about this game too.

Playing down to those or did they play up? Clemson and U are not bad teams. GT is no slouch either.

Reactions: Archer2
I just want to see what a healthy UNC can do from here!

Someone needs to throw salt over their shoulder or something!

Last edited:
I think Hicks plays and Williams doesn't.

I agree.

And I've also noticed kind of a trend with our guys and injuries. Now, don't get me wrong, I think Kenny may have really gotten hurt and I'm not claiming that Roy is manufacturing an injury. But...I think Roy, towards the end of seasons, will hold guys out in an effort to get a bench player more ready for the stretch run. Maybe a better way to say it is that I think Roy sees minor injuries as a way to call on a role player and have them step up in a situation as practice for if that happens in the most crucial of games. Like Hicks' injury last week, could he have played? I don't know that. But I think Roy saw it as an opportunity to see what Luke could do when counted on for more and to see what our small line up can do if forced to employ it for longer periods of time.
With Kenny kind of struggling, maybe Roy not only sees this as an opportunity for Seventh and BRob to get more minutes and to become a little more engaged as we hit the stretch, but also a time for Kenny to step back and kind of get his head right.

Reactions: Heelicious
I just want to see what a healthy UNC can do from here!

I think we're kind of "blaming" our somewhat lackluster play on injuries when in reality, at this point in the season, all teams are dealing with injuries of some sort. I don't think we're any more or less banged up than anyone else. This what a season of college basketball looks like - a war of attrition. That's why I always have appreciated Roy's approach to depth.

Reactions: Heelicious
I agree.

And I've also noticed kind of a trend with our guys and injuries. Now, don't get me wrong, I think Kenny may have really gotten hurt and I'm not claiming that Roy is manufacturing an injury. But...I think Roy, towards the end of seasons, will hold guys out in an effort to get a bench player more ready for the stretch run. Maybe a better way to say it is that I think Roy sees minor injuries as a way to call on a role player and have them step up in a situation as practice for if that happens in the most crucial of games. Like Hicks' injury last week, could he have played? I don't know that. But I think Roy saw it as an opportunity to see what Luke could do when counted on for more and to see what our small line up can do if forced to employ it for longer periods of time.
With Kenny kind of struggling, maybe Roy not only sees this as an opportunity for Seventh and BRob to get more minutes and to become a little more engaged as we hit the stretch, but also a time for Kenny to step back and kind of get his head right.
I think his thought process is to make sure they are fully healthy for the tournament.

Reactions: nctransplant
I think his thought process is to make sure they are fully healthy for the tournament.

I'm sure that's part of it. But I also think what I wrote above - that Roy errs on the side of caution not only because it's the side of caution but because it's also the side of opportunity. Whereas other coaches may not be so quick to hold a guy out. I'm not saying anything bad about it - in fact, I kind of like that he does it for a couple of reasons - I'm just saying that often I think guys are held out when they're capable of playing.

Reactions: nctransplant
Guys are dropping like flies in practice...
I've coached football at a few D2 and D3 schools over the years and I remember we use to scale back practice as we got later into the season because of players getting hurt. Maybe Roy should do the same. I know basketball is not as much of a grind as football but if your team is injury prone it might be a good idea.

Reactions: ACokeForRoy
Teams aren't injury prone, but players certainly can be. I think it is the luck of the draw and ,like recruiting, it is cyclical. I remember extended periods of great health and I am living through a period of freaky injuries to key peeps! I agree that Roy and UNC err on the side of caution, but I don't for one second believe we hold out players for any reason other than their own good. I do think Roy prepares for injuries by playing his peeps early and often and I do believe he takes advantage of injury to get more PT for our bench though.

For ****s sake, are we practicing in mind fields?? We've had more injuries in practice than we've had on the damn court :mad:

Reactions: tarheel0910
Three words for Hicks:

Arms (hands) straight up! OK, that's four!

His fouls are so obvious and contrary to defense you learn in middle school! :D:D:D:D

I think he hurt it against Duke and thought it was fine and then reaggravated it in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT