ADVERTISEMENT

How bout them Panthers!

That was a championship level comeback.

I'm not saying that they are gonna win it all or anything, but they rose to the occasion today when gut check time came around

5-0 speaks for itself. Signature win today for sure. They could have gave up early in the 4th quarter. I bet cam is still smiling

Reactions: TarHeelMark
But...Seattle is 2-4 and not what everyone expected this year.

Screw the national pundits. This organization is building a foundation for sustained success...front office looks to be completely in sync and when they get KB back next year, they're gonna be just scary good. Gettleman just needs to handle his business and keep Josh Norman in a Panther uniform!

I'll say that I am indeed a believer in the Panthers. And Cam deserves a lot of credit for how well they've played. His leadership capabilities have improved immensely.

But with that said, Seattle has shown to have an habitual problem closing out games. That's now 4 4th quarter leads they've lost. I still think Seattle is a better than average team and to go into Seattle and win is still a big deal. But the Seahawks have issues. Greg Olsen is all that the Panthers have. How can you let him run free down the seam?

Cam will never be the most accurate passer in the league, and he'll never have QB ratings that wow anyone. He finds ways to get the job done, and that's what winning QB's do. Whether it's his legs, his arm or however it is, he wins. An argument people could always make against him is that he hasn't proved to come through in clutch situations. I'd say that leading his team to a comeback victory in arguably the toughest place to play in the league against the two-time defending NFC champs is a giant step in the right direction.

I mean his wide receivers this year are a punt returner, an undrafted second-year player and a journeyman veteran. This is amazing to me.

Add in the fact that his offensive line was basically duct taped together in the offseason, and it's even more incredible.

Last edited:
I think Panther fans need to temper their excitement. Because Carolina hasn't beaten a team with a winning record. And like I said, Seattle is still a tough place to play, but the Seahawks certainly aren't scaring people like they were over the past 3 years or so. The next 3 games will be telling as the Panthers face the Eagles, Colts and Packers. That's 3 teams that have a lot of quality players. Good thing the Panthers get them all at home. Then after that, their schedule is very favorable except for the two matchups with Atlanta. So while I believe the Panthers are a pretty good team, the jury is still out on their ability to beat a good team.

I agree to an extent, but good luck getting fans of a 5-0 team to temper excitement. I understand essentially this same team (plus their #1 receiver) went 7-8-1 just last year. Something seems different about these guys though. They've won 9 straight regular season games dating back to last season and off to their best start since they went to the Super Bowl. These guys show togetherness and they just don't quit. Not only are they a "pretty good" team, they are a tough team. They're not a sexy team like the Broncos or the Patriots, but they just gut through games and find ways to win. Not to mention they have the best LB tandem in the league with Kuechly and Davis. I don't care what their schedule looks like, this team is no fluke. They're not going undefeated, and hell, they may not even top the Falcons for the division, but they're going to be there, and they're going to be a force to be reckoned with.

I think Panther fans need to temper their excitement. Because Carolina hasn't beaten a team with a winning record. And like I said, Seattle is still a tough place to play, but the Seahawks certainly aren't scaring people like they were over the past 3 years or so. The next 3 games will be telling as the Panthers face the Eagles, Colts and Packers. That's 3 teams that have a lot of quality players. Good thing the Panthers get them all at home. Then after that, their schedule is very favorable except for the two matchups with Atlanta. So while I believe the Panthers are a pretty good team, the jury is still out on their ability to beat a good team.

Uh...correct me if I'm wrong here, but I read somewhere that those teams would have a winning record if they had beaten the Panthers. That would make this argument invalid IMO.

Uh...correct me if I'm wrong here, but I read somewhere that those teams would have a winning record if they had beaten the Panthers. That would make this argument invalid IMO.

Well, the Seahawks would be a .500 team had they beaten the panthers.

The Saints would be a .500 team had they beaten the Panthers.

The Jags would be 2-4 had they beaten the Panthers.

The Texans would be a .500 team had they beaten the Panthers.

The Bucs would be the only team to be above .500 had they beaten the Panthers. They would be 3-2 (with their other two wins coming against the pitiful Jags and the underachieving Saints).

So no, my argument is valid. The Panthers haven't beaten a team with a winning record and they haven't beaten a good team. Their wins are against the middle of the pack teams or worse.

And that's fine. Ya gotta win the games on your schedule one at a time.

I do like the way this team is built. Announcer yesterday said they're the only team in the league that has run more running plays than passes this season. Do that successfully, throw in a solid defense, and add Cam's ability to get a first down out of nothing, and the potential is there. At some point I feel like we're bound to really miss the presence of KB, but they did manage to engineer two long drives in crunchtime to stage that comeback.

I always try to keep my expectations tempered, but it's a whole lot more fun being 5-0 than 2-3.

lol

Like I have some stake in it. I don't care at all. I'm not a "hater". I'm not drinking "haterade".

I'm simply pointing out that it's hard to get a read on an unproven team - albeit an undefeated one - because they just haven't beaten a good team. If they go 2-1or better over the next 3, I'll give them a little more respect. I'll probably be pulling for them. Because I don't really ever root for GB and the only reason I root for the Falcons is because I have Freeman on my fantasy team. Those 3 teams seem to be the class of the NFC. I have no team affiliation in the NFL. I'd be as happy with the Panthers winning as I would anyone else.

No worries -- makes no difference to me either. I'm just enjoying watching this team continue to win. I would advise against playing Freeman on your team in Week 13. ;)

Not a Panthers fan but that was an epic comeback yesterday. I'm a Tampa fan but I'm also an anti-Falcons fan soooooo I'm a pseudo Panthers fan this year, as they are the best chance to deny the Falcons the NFC South crown.

And jeez, 18 posts and no one has complained yet about Newton's "antics" after the clinching TD??? Y'all are slipping ;)

Hey @TarHeelNation11, just curious, why Tampa? Also, why hate the Falcons? You'll be answering that one for many because I've heard of a ton of folks who live near Atlanta and hate the Falcons. I never really understood that.

Great win. But i have to say seattle is not near as good as advertised. They're not a playoff team. Cam elevated his game regardless. I was very impressed with his accuracy.

Hey @TarHeelNation11, just curious, why Tampa? Also, why hate the Falcons? You'll be answering that one for many because I've heard of a ton of folks who live near Atlanta and hate the Falcons. I never really understood that.
I was born in Tampa and my parents had season tickets when they lived there. I lived a grand total of 2 years in Florida haha.

The Falcons are easy to hate because their fans are obnoxious and the organization is obnoxious. They shamelessly (over-)cater to the "rap fan" element of Atlanta. The Samuel L Jackson commercials are mind-numbingly terrible. Plus Falcons fans are just annoying.

Basically UGA fans and Falcons fans are the same people, and they're both annoying. They whine incessantly and think they're better than they are. It's not a new phenomena though. Pretty much everyone hates the local pro or college team if they aren't a fan of them. Thus why Virginia-based Tar Heels hate Va Tech the most, for example.

Great win. But i have to say seattle is not near as good as advertised. They're not a playoff team. Cam elevated his game regardless. I was very impressed with his accuracy.
He threw a few bad ones early, but when it counted he was pretty damn good. Great catches by Funchess and Cotchery helped on those last two drives. And of course, Olsen was money.

6-0 for the first time in franchise history.

Carolina is looking like the new Seattle. A QB who can beat you with both his arm and his legs. A power running game that wears defenses out. An intimidating defense. An emerging star corner. The similarities are frightening.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
That would be an insane game. Play one game at a time. Let the rest fall where it may

When I lived in Tampa, GB would come to town. Ybor city would be painted in green and gold for that weekend. It amazed me that people would travel that far to follow a team.

I've felt since the tail end of last year that Gettleman is building this team much like the Giants organization he spent so many years with as a scout. Excellent defense, solid running game, and a QB that can make plays in the clutch.

Giants did it...Ravens did it...Seahawks did it... That formula is more sustainable than, say, the "Atlanta Falcons approach" of being this flashy, headline-grabbing offense that puts up gaudy numbers. On a consistent basis, great defense will almost always beat great offense. So -- I actually was quietly thinking all along that this team - even without K.Benjamin - was going to be a serious threat in the playoffs. I'll be shocked if there isn't a Super Bowl parade in Charlotte within the next 5 years. They are building this the right way b/c it's sustainable.

I am a die hard Skins fan and we play you all later on this year..NOT looking forward to it This cat Newton is a monster!!! His arm is as strong as any QB I can ever recall seeing in my 61 years He throws as perfect as spiral as I believe I have ever seen. What a Cannon this guy has...and yeah he can kill you with his running .His size and strength are unmatched and he is tough as nails. I can do without some of the antics but it seems every player does a showboat nowadays.

Carolina will be a VERY tough out ......I think they can go a LONG Way

The thing with Cam is that sometimes his arm strength is a little TOO good. He had three picks last night, but two of them weren't really his fault. The first one to Ginn was the NFL not knowing what a catch is (it was a catch and down by contact, but whatever), and the second one to Whittaker was just the Eagles making a really good defensive play - nothing wrong with the throw or the decision. The third one to Funchess is what I'm referring to though. He was wide open and the ball was high with too much heat. It was off his hand, so it was catchable, but still, just lay it in there. What's scary is that he'll throw off his back foot, and it's STILL a fireball.

The thing with Cam is that sometimes his arm strength is a little TOO good. He had three picks last night, but two of them weren't really his fault. The first one to Ginn was the NFL not knowing what a catch is (it was a catch and down by contact, but whatever), and the second one to Whittaker was just the Eagles making a really good defensive play - nothing wrong with the throw or the decision. The third one to Funchess is what I'm referring to though. He was wide open and the ball was high with too much heat. It was off his hand, so it was catchable, but still, just lay it in there. What's scary is that he'll throw off his back foot, and it's STILL a fireball.

I agree with your assessment of his INTs. But he also missed other throws that didn't result in INTs. But they also didn't result in first downs or big gains when he had WRs open. His accuracy is just average. But to Key's point, I guess you can't be All World at everything. But make no mistake, if Carolina goes on to make noise in the playoffs, it will be because of their defense - not their offense.

I said I'd be impressed if they went at least 2-1 over their next three (beginning with the Eagles). I don't think Carolina looked great last night and I think the Eagles are just slightly better than average. But championship caliber teams learn to win games when they don't look good. That's a credit to their team.

yea i'm a packer fan and panthers look tough as hell defensively.

But to correct something, its not that packer fans travel, its that we're already here in large numbers. Our parents grew up in the lombardi era and packers were americas team for the dawn of the modern tv nfl era in the '60's. They were easily the most popular team then and it just stuck and was passed down. ThenThrow in brett favre to attract a new fan base and u see packer fans all over the country. I would say only the steelers have more nation wide fans. Heck this season the packers traveled to SAN DIEGO and the packer fan noise caused the chargers to have to go to
Their silent count! (Course he threw for 500 yds though) I've been to charlotte twice and both times packer fans outnumbered panther easily. I dont think thatll be case this time though.

Funny story, cam newtons first or second game was against the packers. The packers were playing uninspired ball and the panthers were actually leading and cam was looking like unitas at half. Panthers score and cam does his superman thing and starts jawing at the packer bench and bobbing his head up and down and laughing. It really pissed off clay matthews and he got everyone fired up. Cam literally did not get another first down rest of the game, got hit half a doz times and packers took over and won easily. Hes matured a lot since then.

yea i'm a packer fan and panthers look tough as hell defensively.

But to correct something, its not that packer fans travel, its that we're already here in large numbers. Our parents grew up in the lombardi era and packers were americas team for the dawn of the modern tv nfl era in the '60's. They were easily the most popular team then and it just stuck and was passed down. ThenThrow in brett favre to attract a new fan base and u see packer fans all over the country. I would say only the steelers have more nation wide fans. Heck this season the packers traveled to SAN DIEGO and the packer fan noise caused the chargers to have to go to
Their silent count! (Course he threw for 500 yds though) I've been to charlotte twice and both times packer fans outnumbered panther easily. I dont think thatll be case this time though.

Funny story, cam newtons first or second game was against the packers. The packers were playing uninspired ball and the panthers were actually leading and cam was looking like unitas at half. Panthers score and cam does his superman thing and starts jawing at the packer bench and bobbing his head up and down and laughing. It really pissed off clay matthews and he got everyone fired up. Cam literally did not get another first down rest of the game, got hit half a doz times and packers took over and won easily. Hes matured a lot since then.
It's demographics. All the Midwest, especially Pittsburgh-area natives when the steel industry collapsed, have evacuated and migrated to the South and the West Coast. Same reason why there's Buckeye fans everywhere.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
FWIW, Cam's accuracy is only a talking point b/c he isn't being asked to throw the ball 50+ times per game like the other "accurate" QBs in the league AND b/c for the vast majority of his career, his offensive line has been brutally terrible. When he came into the league his rookie year and was slinging it all over the field en-route to the Offensive Rookie of the Year honor...his accuracy was just fine.

It's demographics. All the Midwest, especially Pittsburgh-area natives when the steel industry collapsed, have evacuated and migrated to the South and the West Coast. Same reason why there's Buckeye fans everywhere.
I have respect for the Steelers and the way they run their organization, but damn I wish those OSU fans would get the hell back to the hell they came from. I used to work for a company based out of Ohio and they were - next to dook bball fans - the most arrogant, annoying sons-a-bitches I've ever had the displeasure to meet.

Yeah, he seems to be getting better with his mechanics, as I've seen more nice touch throws from him this year. But he still tends to throw off the back foot, and his passes sail high on the receivers. Funchess has had way too many drops this year; maybe it's just getting more PT and getting a better feel for those fast-balls coming at him, but the dude really needs to step up.

And, if Cam will target Olsen more.... that would be nice too. 88 is a stud TE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT