ADVERTISEMENT

How do you like your music?

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
Being born in the mid 70's allowed me to experience music in many forms. Parents had 8 tracks and record. Cassette tapes dominated my early teen life, and cd,s came along about the time I began to drive. As an adult, we now have digital forms of music in streaming services.

Growing up in the hip hop age allowed me to enjoy scratching records. So that's a plus.

When I got into the EDM scene. 90's Florida raves strictly consisted of all the music performed via turntables and records. It was recorded on Cassette tapes and distributed throughout the scene. Maybe it was the drugs, but I could tell a distinct drop-off in the purity of the music from record, Cassette, and cd quality. Records and tapes had a more raw sound to me. Cd had more crisp sound, but lacked the depth of the others.

Am I alone on this island?
I like the convenience of streaming music with every song imaginable avaliable with a quick search.
I miss mix tape style recordings
I miss hearing that record sound
8 tracks seemed odd in their function, but I like the nostalgia.

Bonus question, for recorded music, live or studio?

Live for me all the way.

I love vinyl. I also love listening to ultra high fidelity recordings through reference monitors or headphones. It’s crazy how different a mix can sound even on the same medium, but through different speakers or headphones.

In terms of the recording side of things, there is absolutely no comparison between actually tracking to tape and doing things “in the box.” That said, it is very cool to be able to use a hybrid approach where you track and print the final mix to tape but utilize the flexibility and efficiency of computers while mixing.

I love both live recordings and studio stuff. Certain studio recordings are just so magical that there is no chance of ever recreating them. I like the idea of pursuing perfection and dialing in every single sound in a perfectly controlled environment. On the other hand, there is an energy and exploration side to live recordings that can’t be replicated in the studio. It’s especially awesome to be able to go back and rewatch a show you were at. Or to be able to hear live performances that you could’ve never seen/heard if not for the recordings.

If I had the money, I would buy nothing but records and a top of the line setup. The problem with records, other than the cost, is it's hard to play while driving. Streaming is more convenient and what I mostly use, but I enjoy actually holding a CD and looking through the the cover.

Studio recordings seemed more pure back in the day. Today's music seems over processed. With all the advances is sound technology, it's lost the spirit of the musicians percussions and stringed originality. Example would be an acoustic guitar verse electric guitar on an acoustic setting.
I like live because it captures the moment. To me it captures the heart of the performance in its intended way. All genre of music to me seems real when captured in the moment.
Most of what I listen to these days is worship music. There is a high difference in the emotion between live and studio.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Studio recordings seemed more pure back in the day. Today's music seems over processed. With all the advances is sound technology, it's lost the spirit of the musicians percussions and stringed originality. Example would be an acoustic guitar verse electric guitar on an acoustic setting.
I like live because it captures the moment. To me it captures the heart of the performance in its intended way. All genre of music to me seems real when captured in the moment.
Most of what I listen to these days is worship music. There is a high difference in the emotion between live and studio.
You would probably enjoy watching Rick Beato's YouTube channel. He talks a lot about that in his videos. He's a pretty interesting watch. Very knowledgeable guy who used to produce for some bigger bands. He was a producer for Shinedown's first couple of records.

My son is very talented musician and loves music of all types yet he’s never ever had to purchase or has he owned a song or an album in any form, which just blows me away. I always tell him that some of my best childhood memories were going to the local record store and thumbing through the hundreds of albums, picking out one, and getting home to play it while reading the album cover and so on.

My son is very talented musician and loves music of all types yet he’s never ever had to purchase or has he owned a song or an album in any form, which just blows me away. I always tell him that some of my best childhood memories were going to the local record store and thumbing through the hundreds of albums, picking out one, and getting home to play it while reading the album cover and so on.
My cassette case and cd case for my car looked like a suitcase. I was one of the first in my friend group to own a combo cassette/cd system.
Anyone remember joining those memberships which you picked 12 albums for free and had to buy 4 new ones within a few months? Columbia records I think it was.

As for your son, do you have or know anyone who has a nice set up with plenty of records? Records have tried to make a comeback the past few years

Reactions: Heelicious
You would probably enjoy watching Rick Beato's YouTube channel. He talks a lot about that in his videos. He's a pretty interesting watch. Very knowledgeable guy who used to produce for some bigger bands. He was a producer for Shinedown's first couple of records.

+1 Beato’s channel is great. I skip a lot of the reaction type stuff but his music theory videos are really good.

My cassette case and cd case for my car looked like a suitcase. I was one of the first in my friend group to own a combo cassette/cd system.
Anyone remember joining those memberships which you picked 12 albums for free and had to buy 4 new ones within a few months? Columbia records I think it was.

As for your son, do you have or know anyone who has a nice set up with plenty of records? Records have tried to make a comeback the past few years
Oh yea i was a Columbia member big time. My daughters bf has a great album collection and stereo set up. He collects obscure stuff and has some bizarre recordings. Tammy fae baker singing Christmas carols is amazing.

What was the name of that tiny cd/tape store on Rosemary, downstairs, around the corner from that theatre? As big as a closet but you could still spend an hr in there?

Reactions: Grayhead
I have music ADD in the car. Whether I'm playing songs off my phone or SiriusXM, I don't stay in one place long. I'll skip a lot of songs on my phone looking for the "right one" and on Sirius, I'm bad to switch channels constantly. I say that because I remember driving back when I was younger and listening to an entire album on cassette/CD. It's a little like television, it's not about what's on, it's about what else is on...

Cassettes got a lot better when they came out with that feature that detected the break between songs so you could fast forward without having to guess when the song ended.

I belonged to Columbia House for a time. :)

Who can forget 8 tracks and the track changing in the middle of the song.
I can still listen to the songs, from the 3 or 4 that I had, andremember when they faded-out.

I had Aerosmith- Rocks, Billy Squier- Don't Say No, Boston, and my mom's Janis Joplin- Pearl.

Every time I hear Too Daze Gone, I know when it faded. And, Aersomith's "Combination."

Reactions: Heelicious
Cracked me up to remember/think about Columbia House and how you'd do the deal, buy what you had to and then opt out, only to rejoin and go through the whole routine again. Probably did it a dozen times.

Any one else remember sitting there with the cassette recorder waiting for certain songs to come on the radio so you could record them? Inevitably, you'd end up recording the song, but also get someone else yelling in the house or the phone ringing.

maybe I'm a bit of an audio/music snob. One of the pleasures I've allowed myself to indulge in is high quality audio. When you have really good equipment (my speakers cost over five grand back in the eighties, and that was cheap compared to really high end speakers) and decent recordings, what you hear can be sheer magic, ear candy. Hearing not just the music but the sounds of the studio or concert venue itself is a whole different ball game. Add a little of a different kind of magic and you can almost achieve Nirvana. But high quality has taken a back seat to convenience, and TBH I could give a rat's ass about listening to low quality music regardless of how conveniently I can find it and play it.

https://markstarlin.medium.com/declining-audio-quality-in-music-a34675ca694

Speaking of eight track, I once had a four channel 'Quad' system with four speakers for true surround sound. Listening to Edgar Winter's 'Frankenstein' in the middle of all those speakers was pretty wild.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT