ADVERTISEMENT

I Think I Know What We Need

tarheellarryc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2003
As I pondered what went wrong last night, and through the first four games of the season, the source of our problem came to me. Not the only source of our problems. Right now, they are multiple. But one issue that I think drives and multiplies the others. It starts with the question: "Why does our team start out so slowly and play so much better in the second half?" Why do we spot Wake Forest so many points, only to come roaring back in the second half? Why do we let Virginia Tech humiliate us, only to make a game of it in the second half. Why do we start out so slowly against a team like Georgia State, only to see how superior we are to them in the second half? And most painfully, why do we sleepwalk through the first half against Georgia Tech instead of putting it so far out of reach that even bringing in Joe Montana off the bench wouldn't have helped them?

First, let me say that I love Sam Howell. But I believe a big part of our lethargy at the first of each game is a function of Sam's personality. It's no secret that he is not an extroverted guy. "Ra Ra" is not in his vocabulary. I love his humility as a person. I love the fact that he takes the blame for the poor performance of his team. But the fact of the matter is that the rest of the offense put Sam in the position to have a bad game. So, why is the sluggish start for the offense mostly on Sam? Because he is the leader of the team. He's the one who needs to fire up the team before the opening whistle. Go back and watch footage of Peyton Manning before a game. He was prowling the sidelines. Slapping his linemen on the butt. Telling everyone how big this game was. Firing everyone up.

Sam's personality is that he plays with a quiet motivation every game. But not everyone is Sam. The difference between how our offensive line plays in the first half and the second half is like night and day. So, if Sam is steady and calm in both halves, why the difference in the other players? Well, in the second half, they have "situational" motivation. By the time we down double digits, or barely showing up for a second tier team, the situation dictates that they focus, execute and play hard. But we can't wait until the second half every game before the situation fires up the team. We need to hit the field with focus. And that's where the team leader has to step up. It's a shame that someone else has to fire up their fellow team members. But for for lots of players, their emotions need to be activated by an outside stimulus. And it takes a fiery team leader to do it. To get to where this team needs to be, we can't keep reading the next morning that "the team came out flat."

I know that this role is not natural for Sam. Making a change is not easy. But my company publishes lots of books by motivational leaders. All of them will tell you that, "You can't change someone's personality, but you can change their behavior". Sam Howell will never be Deon Sanders. But he can act more like him. Heck, even a shy guy like Sam can learn some good fiery catch phrases to pump up the guys on the sidelines. He can slap a few more backsides. Now, I know some of you are thinking, "You're saying that Sam needs to act like someone he isn't. No, he needs to be himself". I'm not saying that Sam needs to be someone he isn't. I'm saying that he needs to DO something that he isn't. I'll bet you a dollar that Sam is fired up internally before the game. So communicating that same heightened sense to others through more outward actions isn't betraying himself. It's just being more overt in sharing it with others.

How to begin? Heck, I would just have him watch an hour of footage of Peyton Manning before and during a game. Second, I would set him up with one or more motivational experts. Heck, he can start with Dick Coop. He's right there at UNC! Third, I would tell Sam, "It's okay to call out your players who aren't fired up or are making dumb mistakes." That's the job of the team's leader. Again, watch footage or Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or any other successful NFL quarterback giving a lineman a verbal kick in the butt. It doesn't need to be a public humiliation. The best leaders achieve more behavior modification with a quiet personal word than calling out someone in front of their peers. It's fine to take the blame for a defeat "after the game". But during the game, one of the main things a quarterback needs to be doing is firing up their team, calling out their mistakes and being the coach on the field.

It's not too late for Mack to sit down with Sam and have this chat. We can still have a great season. But not if we keep sleepwalking through the first half. Let Sam know what he needs to do be the leader that fires up his team. Bring in some experts to help coach him on what he needs to do. Then unleash Sam 2.0.

Reactions: mckinru
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News