ADVERTISEMENT

If Mike Gundy goes to Florida

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
and there is reason to think that he is on Foley's short list, will Oklahoma State want Fedora? Fedora was a succesful OC in Stillwater, which means he will be respected there and already know the Big 12 teams and personalities..

If I were Bubba Cunningham, and Ok St were to come after Fedora, I would fight tooth and nail to keep him only if he has agreed to shake up his staff on D. A large number of coaches have failed at a school becuase they have been mule-headed about keeping assistants - they would rather go down ith the ship than make changes. I don't know if that applies to Fedora, but I am certain that unless Fedora makes D staff changes that the best regular season he can produce at UNC is 9-3, and that wtih a favorable schedule. And I am confident that with the same D staff we have had that most years willl be like the last 2" we will feel lucky if finish 7-5.

There are a lot of people around UNC, including UNC athletics, who think 7-5 every year is nearly great and all we should hope for. I assume Bubba is not amoing them. So does Bubba strong arm Fedora into revamping the D staff?

Obviously that would backfire if Bubba could not hire a quality coach should Fedora head for the beauty of Stillwater (anyone who has been there will get the joke). But there is too much history of coaches failing when refusing to make staff changes even when they are obvious - and our D is the worst in school history, the worst among P5 schools. Our D is epically bad.

UNC football can't afford to be held hostage to Fedora's sense of loyalty to Disch and Koenning and West, nor, if this is the reason, to Fedora's refusal to acknowledge a mistake in hiring.

With T. Boone behind them they can go after about anyone that wants to go to Stillwater. They have the money!

I'd think Okie State would want Rodriguez -- and if not him, then Holgersen -- before they would want Fedora. JMO.

And that's assuming they'd want to stay with the spread offense

Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:
I'd think Okie State would want Rodriguez -- and if not him, then Holgersen -- before they would want Fedora. JMO.

The comic reality is that Ok St is going to want what T. Boone Pickens wants. No other single booster in the nation comes close to the power he has.

And I think he prefers the spread for Ok St, because of historic recruiting issues against OU and now Texas.

Rodriguez is not leaving Arizona for a far distant #2 football program in a small state.

Holgerson will go where the money and alcohol and young chicks are. And his off the field interests probably mean T. Boone does not trust him with the keys to his Cadillac.

In terns of spread OC, Fedora is the family man version of Holgerson, and for Ok St, Pickens is going to lean very hard toward the family man.

So if Gundy leaves, I expect Fedora to be contacted. He probably cannot be the top name on a short list of 3, but few schools ever hire such a guy anyway. I bet Fedora is contacted by Ok St if Gundy leaves.

And Bubba needs to be ready with demands about the D staff as well as his replacement list.

Given how UNC has played over the past 2 years, I don't believe Fedora is a hot commodity. If offered, Fedora would more thank likely jump at the chance to get away from the scandal mess. Call me not worried about him getting offered.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
Originally posted by TarHeelNation11:

The comic reality is that Ok St is going to want what T. Boone Pickens wants. No other single booster in the nation comes close to the power he has.

And I think he prefers the spread for Ok St, because of historic recruiting issues against OU and now Texas.

Rodriguez is not leaving Arizona for a far distant #2 football program in a small state.

Holgerson will go where the money and alcohol and young chicks are. And his off the field interests probably mean T. Boone does not trust him with the keys to his Cadillac.

In terns of spread OC, Fedora is the family man version of Holgerson, and for Ok St, Pickens is going to lean very hard toward the family man.

So if Gundy leaves, I expect Fedora to be contacted. He probably cannot be the top name on a short list of 3, but few schools ever hire such a guy anyway. I bet Fedora is contacted by Ok St if Gundy leaves.

And Bubba needs to be ready with demands about the D staff as well as his replacement list.
And that is a problem. Not really good for Okie State when one man who thinks he knows everything pulls all the strings. Like the Under Armor guy at Maryland. Phil Knight at least lets people do their jobs.

I doubt Okie State goes after Coach Re... I mean Coach Fedora (I stopped myself for you, TarHeelMark). Fedora has only been at UNC for three years. It would look terrible for Okie State if they get into a bidding war with UNC over a coach at a program that has just begun to hurdle some NCAA issues and for a coach that hasn't posted a tremendous record in the ACC, a conference that doesn't garner the respect of folks out there in Texahoma. UNC boosters will not shy away from a bidding war with the "MooU" of Oklahoma.

As for d-staff comment, I'd be very shocked if Fedora didn't already have feelers out and his agent working to find folks to replace some folks on his current staff.

Fedora won't leave Chapel Hill for Stillwater. It would be bad move for himself and for Okie State. Okie State will go after Coach Comeover (Holgerson) or maybe even Gary Patterson. If Bob Stoops leaves OU, expect a mammoth riduculous coaching move for Okie State. T Boone will put a second mortgage on his house to pay for someone to usurp OU as king of Oklahoma.

No worries THM, just messing with you guys

But think about this- do you think Okie State will lose their proven coach to Florida?

UF didn't have the beans to hire a slam dunk when Urban left- so they settled with a high-profile coordinator from a program that was gradually declining. I think people overestimate UF as a destination and overestimate their boosters/AD. Foley is a jackass.

The situation in Oklahoma is fascinating to me. Bob Stoops is getting pushed out by some (LOL) because he hasn't won a title in 10 years. Oklahoma has kept its in-state rival under their thumb more than any other rivalry. Les Miles found a way to win the Bedlam Series when OU was in the top 3 and while Okie State was unranked. Gundy has had arguably better teams lose to arguably inferior OU teams. But OU fans don't understand how good they have it and Okie State fans are dying to usurp OU and they FINALLY have the resources to do it.

If Bob Stoops leaves OU for whatever reason.... I wonder how Okie State will act if Gundy gets courted elsewhere. Will they let Gundy go without a bidding war, get his buyout.... and try to out-do OU in the coaching hire?

It'll be like a soap opera!

One thing our program desperately needs is stability. I hope Fedora will prove to be the right coach for us and if so, I hope that he will want to stay with us and that Bubba will do everything in his power to keep him. It is very difficult to establish a consistent top-tier program with the coaching carousel we have had in recent years.

One of the guys on our board brought up Steve Addazio, he was OC, associate head coach, and an offensive mind under Urban Meyer. What he has done at BC is amazing.

There are still some hard feelings about Addazio among UF fans. He presided over the huge offensive drop-off between the 2009 national championship and the following year, when Meyer took a leave of absence. Meyer got a pass -- at least at the time -- while Addazio got blamed for the Gators' decline in the midst of all that weirdness with a Tebow-less offense. Personally, I think he deserves some credit for holding things together but that's not how most their fans seem to see it.

I don't think Florida will hire anyone who hasn't been an FBS head coach before. There's some discussion on premium about Chad Morris or Brent Venables from Clemson but that's not gonna happen.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
There are still some hard feelings about Addazio among UF fans. He presided over the huge offensive drop-off between the 2009 national championship and the following year, when Meyer took a leave of absence. Meyer got a pass -- at least at the time -- while Addazio got blamed for the Gators' decline in the midst of all that weirdness with a Tebow-less offense. Personally, I think he deserves some credit for holding things together but that's not how most their fans seem to see it.

I don't think Florida will hire anyone who hasn't been an FBS head coach before. There's some discussion on premium about Chad Morris or Brent Venables from Clemson but that's not gonna happen.
Sports talk radio in ATL tonight was talking about the possibility Fedora would be the pick for Florida - take it for what it is worth - if he went and kept the existing defensive coaching staff already there that would be interesting if i was a Florida fan

Originally posted by dlew71:

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Sports talk radio in ATL tonight was talking about the possibility Fedora would be the pick for Florida - take it for what it is worth - if he went and kept the existing defensive coaching staff already there that would be interesting if i was a Florida fan
Gators fans hated the Zook regime, and Fedora was part of it. That alone is enough to guarantee that a Fedora hire would split the fan base. Also certain to split the fan base is the fact that at a P5 school, the best record Fedora could have mustered is 8-4.

Is Foley the type AD who make the hire even if he knew the fan base would be split? Yep.

Is Fedora the type coach who would risk being disliked by about half the fan before losing a single game? I have no idea.

But if Fedora were to leave, I think Cunningham can land us a quality coach. We coukld have the best offense in the ACC next year. Our kicking game is certain ot be much better. We have better talent on D than we have shown this year. The right coach at UNC can win the Coastal next year.

I find it hard to believe that Fedora is considered a candidate at a BIG TIME football school like Florida. I like the guy and hope he sticks around and brings us the consistency we need and some Coastal titles, etc, etc. But c'mon man... he hasn't done nearly enough at UNC to prove that he could handle coaching an SEC school. In a few more years, we may lose him to a more prestigious program, but I think the jury is still out on LF.

as mentioned above - there is a lot of chatter out of gainesville about the gators going after coach fedora ... it will be interesting to see how this unfolds ???

Originally posted by TarHeelMark:

I find it hard to believe that Fedora is considered a candidate at a BIG TIME football school like Florida... he hasn't done nearly enough at UNC to prove that he could handle coaching an SEC school....
fedora has been attacked ruthlessly by carolina fans (especially the butch davis cult followers on tos) but others around the country view carolina football as a total wreck when fedora was hired and think 7-5 in such a short time as damm near miraculous. fedora is a highly regarded coach and we'll be very lucky to keep him.

I find it hard to believe that Fedora is considered a candidate at a BIG TIME football school like Florida. I like the guy and hope he sticks around and brings us the consistency we need and some Coastal titles, etc, etc. But c'mon man... he hasn't done nearly enough at UNC to prove that he could handle coaching an SEC school. In a few more years, we may lose him to a more prestigious program, but I think the jury is still out on LF.
Same here.

Originally posted by JimmyinVA:

I find it hard to believe that Fedora is considered a candidate at a BIG TIME football school like Florida... he hasn't done nearly enough at UNC to prove that he could handle coaching an SEC school....
fedora has been attacked ruthlessly by carolina fans (especially the butch davis cult followers on tos) but others around the country view carolina football as a total wreck when fedora was hired and think 7-5 in such a short time as damm near miraculous. fedora is a highly regarded coach and we'll be very lucky to keep him.
Ummm, what? Fedora is attacked by the "pro style is all there is" crowd (Which group some BD supporters fall into) and football haters. Most of the "BD supporters" ( who think BD had us knocking on the door, and got a raw deal from Thorp ) support Fedora because they want to see UNC football succeed.

What is weird is how the football haters are split on Fedora, some of them support him because they think he will be mediocre.

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:
Originally posted by JimmyinVA:

Ummm, what? Fedora is attacked by the "pro style is all there is" crowd (Which group some BD supporters fall into) and football haters. Most of the "BD supporters" ( who think BD had us knocking on the door, and got a raw deal from Thorp ) support Fedora because they want to see UNC football succeed.

What is weird is how the football haters are split on Fedora, some of them support him because they think he will be mediocre.
I think your assessment is correct. I was strongly pro-Butch, but I also supported the hiring of Fedora because of what he had built at Southrn Miss and his having been an SEC OC.

I have seen what you see about the UNC basketball-onlys/basketball-firsters: some of them suppport Fedora least partly because they feel he will never prove as big a threat to the status of basketball that Butch was.

Fedora would be a moron if he were to take a job elsewhere before next year. Everything is in place for us to have a great team next year, maybe even win the ACC. At which point his stock would skyrocket from where it is right now. I would assume that even if he wants to leave, he would want to make as money as possible when he does so.

Chatter about Fedora to UF = HOT AIR....don't doubt me on this. UF will bring in a big time hire.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

Chatter about Fedora to UF = HOT AIR....don't doubt me on this. UF will bring in a big time hire.
Actually not being a smartass on this, but why shouldn't we doubt you?

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:
...Most of the "BD supporters" ( who think BD had us knocking on the door, and got a raw deal from Thorp ) support Fedora because they want to see UNC football succeed.
i believe that. at the same time you'll find some very active internet posters (esp. on tos) who are huge fans of butch davis and "coincidentally" were among the earliest and most acrid critics of fedora. yes, butch had us "knocking on the door," with an assistant head coach butch himself later referred to as a "mistake," plus high profile recruits that had no interest in being college students. maybe that's a good fit for some schools, but not unc. i'm fully aware of butch's strengths as a coach but bringing in the right assistants and recruits is a significant part of a coach's job description. re: fedora, if by his fifth year it looks like he's stuck at 7/8 wins a year i'll call for a change because carolina football deserves better.

see you guys at the game saturday. GO HEELS!!!!

While agree UNC is a stepping stone for fodera it wont be after this year. He will not leave to be a offense coordinator and that is all he could get at a major program at this point. Lets be real.

This post was edited on 11/27 3:08 PM by geo1464

If Gundy is a serious candidate at Florida, and if Fedora is a serious candidate to replace him at Okie St., or even a candidate at Florida as some say, then I need to start applying for AD jobs as you obviously have some simpletons in thesearch positions. Gundy? Has a decent program, but has never really gotten it over the hump. Pedestrian at best this year. Florida wants national championships, not guys that come close. As far as Fedora. Someone above said he built the program at So Miss. Wrong. He rode someone else's talent to the UNC job while recruiting no one. And you see the results in Hattiesburg the last three years under two different head coaches. They are horrendous. No talent. And just look at this afternoon. Get neck stomped by an NC State squad that isn't worth a crap. Now I wasn't a big Butch Davis guy. Always felt he was skirting the edges. But he did leave a lot of talent behind which hasn't been taken advantage of. If any program on the national championship stage actually wanted either of these guys it would tell me that there ADs just don't have a clue.

Fedora leaving for Ok. State works for me. It is not seen as us getting rid of another coach and maybe we could snag a good coach. Nebraska just fired their coach would we look at a guy like him? He averaged 9 wins over 7 yrs at a football school.

Originally posted by ElizabethtownHeel:
Fedora leaving for Ok. State works for me. It is not seen as us getting rid of another coach and maybe we could snag a good coach. Nebraska just fired their coach would we look at a guy like him? He averaged 9 wins over 7 yrs at a football school.
That is an interesting thought. Pelini was a 1st rate DC, and what he has won at Nebraska would make us delirious. He won at least 9 games every year, and won 4 division titles.

UF targeting ex-Tide assistant McElwain as top target to replace Muschamp.

Originally posted by HeelFan58:

UF targeting ex-Tide assistant McElwain as top target to replace Muschamp.
After Freeze took the Ole Miss extension.

McElwain has done an excellent job at Colorado St, and he has key SEC coordinator experience. He likely will be a 1st rate P5 HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT