ADVERTISEMENT

If you could time travel?

tarheelinfl

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2002
If you could time travel once, say go back and try to prevent a tragedy or alter history, what would you do?
Eliminate Hitler before his rise to power?
Give warning about Pearl Harbor
Prevent assassination of "Abraham, Martin or John"?
Or would you do something more selfish, buy Google or Apple stock etc, on the ground floor?
Knowing all lottery and sports results, use that info for $$$ gain?

Plan A = $
Plan B = live at spring break destinations during my college years, some where there are Carolina girls, but mostly fsu/asu types.
delorean-1.jpg

Last edited:
I’d want to see how the pyramids were built.

Buy a shit load of bitcoin just after it’s release.

Definitely do a Tonya Harding on that douche from Creighton before he could take out Kendall Marshall.

If you could time travel once, say go back and try to prevent a tragedy or alter history, what would you do?
Or would you do something more selfish, buy Google or Apple stock etc, on the ground floor?
I'd go back and get some baby dinosaurs and bring them back to have in a park on an island in the south Pacific.

And go back to the Forum in 42 BC and tell Caesar it might be a good day to stay home.

• Haha
Reactions: blazers
Maybe try and convince Eli Whitney to just focus all his attention on the interchangeable parts of weapons.

Wrote my thesis on the next 100 years of US History after someone went back in time and stopped Booth from killing Lincoln. Interesting stuff I do say so myself.

Yeah easy answer is to go back like 5 years and give myself every winning bet/stock tip so my current self would be a billionaire.

For the sake of history - I'd say kill Hitler in like 1920 but are we sure that would stop the slaughter of 7 million people? Germany was f-ed up and anti-Semitic already, Hitler just poured kerosene on it. I'd give it like a 70% chance of working.

Do you kill Lenin (Vlad not John) in 1915 to save the millions upon millions killed by communists? That'd I'd be more sure of since I definitely don't think the Russian Revolution happens without him.

Nah, I'm going back 5 years and making myself rich. Sorry world.

Reactions: tarheel0910
For the sake of history - I'd say kill Hitler in like 1920 but are we sure that would stop the slaughter of 7 million people? Germany was f-ed up and anti-Semitic already, Hitler just poured kerosene on it. I'd give it like a 70% chance of working.

I don’t know about that. If no Hitler, who would we possibly compare Trump to?

If I recall correctly, the 1985 Twilight Zone reboot had an episode where someone goes back and prevents Kennedy from being assassinated. For some reason, Kruschev is assassinated instead and WW3 breaks out.

OK, found a link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profile_in_Silver

(since Hitler has been worked over a little, I'll go ahead and post this that I held back on because it's a tad drippy.)

reminds me of the SNL skit from long ago where several high school guys in science lab accidentally discovered an invisibility serum. They got extremely excited over the prospect of using it for good and to solve so many of society's problems, and they were trying to decide where to start, Cut to the next scene where the police are leading them in handcuffs away from the girls showers. "I thought it would have lasted longer".

Stopping Hitler wouldn't amount to a hill of beans in the long run and might actually set up an even more dire scenario. I'd love to see the pyramids built but there are literally a million other things I'd like to see firsthand...to see what dinosaurs were actually like, to see what it was like being a Neanderthal, watching Alexander the Great do work, to have a conversation with Plato...to the point it might drive me crazy wondering what might have been a better choice. I am not super wealthy but I have what I need, so I wouldn't enrich myself..

I would honestly go back and just try to lead a better life, shedding the self-centeredness I didn't so much recognize in myself, and appreciate much more those who cared for me and helped me. I would really love to have that opportunity.

Wrote my thesis on the next 100 years of US History after someone went back in time and stopped Booth from killing Lincoln. Interesting stuff I do say so myself.

Yeah easy answer is to go back like 5 years and give myself every winning bet/stock tip so my current self would be a billionaire.

Do you kill Lenin (Vlad not John) in 1915 to save the millions upon millions killed by communists? That'd I'd be more sure of since I definitely don't think the Russian Revolution happens without him.

Nah, I'm going back 5 years and making myself rich. Sorry world.
dadika13 leads the OOTB gang through time looking to get stinkin' rich.

timebandits_primary.jpg

Reactions: tarheelinfl
Time travel theory is a crazy debate. The butterfly effect and all.

Any favorite time travel movies?
Looper and the time machine for me.
Star trek and avengers endgame get honorable mention for me

I also liked the show timeless

Reactions: tarheelinfl

Any talk about favorite time travel movies that doesn't include Back to the Future is a bannable offense.

Any talk about favorite time travel movies that doesn't include Back to the Future is a bannable offense.
I see your point

And still don't care.

Honestly, I enjoy most movies/shows involving time travel. Lost is another good example.
Watching BTF always hurts seeing how MJF ends up suffering in real life. Definitely a favorite childhood actor

Time travel can create some messy plots hole which occasionally feel like a little unresolved or like an easy out. If the plot embraces that chaos or is just kinda stupid-fun I like them more. Tenet is so wtf I don't even care about any holes and I loved that movie.

Groundhog day has to be up there along w Bill & Ted's if we're in the comedy genre though.

Easily the 1.01 for time travel movies.

I've read quite a few books on the subject, some of my favorites:

If I Never Get Back (great if you like baseball also)
The Man in the High Castle
Time and Again

Which Star Trek? Seems like they've all had a time travel element in an episode.

If you mean the Time Machine with Yvette Mimeux, then I agree.
the-time-machine-yvette-mimieux-1960-everett.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT