ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm here so I won't get fined"

I love it.

If, the man doesn't want to talk to the media, then so be it . .

To me, it's just his way of telling Roger Goodell eff you . . and I'm really okay with that.

I was sympathetic to Lynch when he first started avoiding the media. I really believed him to have some kind of social anxiety and true inability to meet with the media before and after games. And I do find the rule that all players have to make their media obligation a bit ridiculous. Each team should select 5-10 players that handle the media obligations. It would almost be like a Captaincy of sorts. Teams could use it for leadership building and whatnot. So, in short, I used to be on Lynch's side in this debate.

But then, just the other day, I SAW HIM IN A COMMERCIAL. It's a Progressive commercial with Kenny Mayne (who I adore, BTW and not sure why he isn't featured any more than he is on ESPN). So this guy who supposedly has a social anxiety that really makes meeting with the media stressful for him is capable of doing that very thing when he can get a check out of it? Total fraud. I started to suspect this over the course of the last year or so when his media obligations became more and more him thumbing his nose at it rather than truly seeming "uncomfortable". But then when I saw him in the commercial, he looked very capable and confident.

However, with that said, some of his responses are hilarious. And I do love watching that dude play. He's my kind of running back.

"Thanks for axin'."

Is the media availability thing stipulated in those massive tv contracts that make the league and the teams filthy rich?
If so, and he refuses, no check.

No sympathy here. You get paid like a rock star and treated like a god to play a game, the least you can do is abide by the terms of your contract without making a sh*tshow out of it.

his shtick is getting old...however, on media day of the super bowl, because it's already a circus, i love it.

and if the media are that clueless at this point, shame on the them.

I doubt Marshawn is seeking any sympathy. He was fined heavily for not making himself available to the media, twice. He has since made himself available, as required, and he's made it known he is uninterested in giving play-along-with-the-media, witty, heart and soul answers to questions he likely feels are just stupid.

He knows he has to be there, he also knows he doesn't have to give anything but a shitty answer.

I think he probably got the idea from Bill Belichik on how best to deal with the media circus . .

'We're focused on Seattle . . "

'We're on to Seattle . . "

'Next question . . '

"We're focused on Seattle . . "

"Go ask Tom Brady . . "

Media : 'Marshawn, what condiments do you put on your hotdog . . ?"

Media : "Marshawn, what's your favorite TV show . . "

Originally posted by BillyL:
I doubt Marshawn is seeking any sympathy. He was fined heavily for not making himself available to the media, twice. He has since made himself available, as required, and he's made it known he is uninterested in giving play-along-with-the-media, witty, heart and soul answers to questions he likely feels are just stupid.

He knows he has to be there, he also knows he doesn't have to give anything but a shitty answer.

I think he probably got the idea from Bill Belichik on how best to deal with the media circus . .

'Next question . . '

"Go ask Tom Brady . . "

Julez has a point though...he's making a ton of money. And he makes that money, in part, because of his visibility through the media. So he's kind of shitting on the very thing that allows him to be overpaid. That doesn't endear him to most. Again, if he sincerely had a social anxiety of sorts, then I'd understand. But he's being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk.

It's weird that we live in a society where people don't want to be liked? I've never understood working hard to be unlikable. It's just as easy to do and say the right things and have a better image. Strange.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

'Next question . . '

"Go ask Tom Brady . . "

Julez has a point though...he's making a ton of money. And he makes that money, in part, because of his visibility through the media. So he's kind of shitting on the very thing that allows him to be overpaid. That doesn't endear him to most. Again, if he sincerely had a social anxiety of sorts, then I'd understand. But he's being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk.

It's weird that we live in a society where people don't want to be liked? I've never understood working hard to be unlikable. It's just as easy to do and say the right things and have a better image. Strange.
I think he's making a lot of money more in part because he's one of the best at what he does for a living, than any $ generated by media interviews. Is there going to be a loss of revenue, or a reduction in attendance for the NFL because somebody doesn't give a genuine interview to the media . . ? Hell no . .

Why he doesn't want to deal with the media, I haven't a clue . . though it could've been a previous interview that was twisted around to portray him in a different light than he wanted. We've seen this scenario from countless numbers of athletes that have gotten fed up with the media putting them in a bad light because of an answer or 2 taken out of context. Try to remember that some of these peeps are not the greatest with the verbiage . . they're just dumb football players.

Jameis Winston sounds like a 7th grade idiot in front of a camera and microphone. The less he talks the better I am for it . . I'm certainly not going to learn anything football related from that guy.

I think he's making a lot of money more in part because he's one of the best at what he does for a living, than any $ generated by media interviews. Is there going to be a loss of revenue, or a reduction in attendance for the NFL because somebody doesn't give a genuine interview to the media . . ? Hell no . .
Yeah, but the same media doing the interviews is the same media that televises his games...shows his highlights...and puts his work in front of millions of people to give him the power to command large contracts.

Why he doesn't want to deal with the media, I haven't a clue . . though it could've been a previous interview that was twisted around to portray him in a different light than he wanted. We've seen this scenario from countless numbers of athletes that have gotten fed up with the media putting them in a bad light because of an answer or 2 taken out of context. Try to remember that some of these peeps are not the greatest with the verbiage . . they're just dumb football players.
Right. You'd think they'd be a little more appreciative of their opportunity rather than basically telling the media to piss off. Many of these guys would be in prison, in jail or at best, working for minimum wage if they didn't have the opportunity to play football. I don't know...it just seems like someone in that position would be thankful and grateful. And showing you're thankful and grateful often requires you do things that you don't like to do.

Jameis Winston sounds like a 7th grade idiot in front of a camera and microphone. The less he talks the better I am for it . . I'm certainly not going to learn anything football related from that guy.
Agreed. That dude is a moron on many levels.

His refusal to speak candidly to the media and people to be bothered by it is what surprises me.

Anyone else hear that even though he showed up so he wouldn't be fined...the NFL is contemplating fining him anyway b/c he wore an unauthorized hat that said BeastMode?

Why do people get so wrapped up in this douchbaggery? Aren't there real issues in the world worth paying attention to?

Originally posted by eec212020:

Love it. He is paid to play football, not to give interviews.
Yeah, except for that whole contract thing. You know, where he signs a piece of paper that says, "We'll pay you X, and you do Y." In his case his X to Y ratio is extremely favorable. He gets paid F* You money to train for and play a game, and little else. Except to accommodate the media from time to time when asked to do so. Doesn't seem like such a terrible burden.

I'm not upset. I thought it was funny. It'd be even more funny if the NFL fined him again anyway.

But hey, I'm just here so I don't get fined.

Originally posted by JuleZ '02 HEEL:

Originally posted by eec212020:

Love it. He is paid to play football, not to give interviews.
Yeah, except for that whole contract thing. You know, where he signs a piece of paper that says, "We'll pay you X, and you do Y." In his case his X to Y ratio is extremely favorable. He gets paid F* You money to train for and play a game, and little else. Except to accommodate the media from time to time when asked to do so. Doesn't seem like such a terrible burden.

I'm not upset. I thought it was funny. It'd be even more funny if the NFL fined him again anyway.

But hey, I'm just here so I don't get fined.
I understand he signed a contract. He is following the rules of his contract. He isn't paid to give interviews, he is paid to play football. I wish more NFL players would follow his example.

an example of "social anxiety" imo, was ricky williams...this is an example of a guy that knows exactly how to create a buzz.

skittles, for f sake, skittles!

He's ruining his brand. Whoever is giving him career advice is a dumbass. Guarantee u the thug will be broke within 2 yrs of quitting. Then when hes panhandling people can say "i'm just blessed to not be u" over and over.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by gteeitup:

an example of "social anxiety" imo, was ricky williams...this is an example of a guy that knows exactly how to create a buzz.

skittles, for f sake, skittles!
Between 'Deflate-Gate' and Marshawn there will be X number more viewers than the usual amount . . some wanting the cheating Pats to lose and some wanting Marshawn to have a pitiful and embarrassing game.

Originally posted by Blue2010:
Why do people get so wrapped up in this douchbaggery? Aren't there real issues in the world worth paying attention to?
I'm just here to have some fun and take my mind off the world.
cool.r191677.gif

He got burned by a media guy in Buffalo so decided to hold it against all of the media. The media is full of idiots so in some way I understand. However, he is just toying with them for fun at this point. I find it silly and immature but many of these guys are so full of themselves they really don't give a crap anyway. I'm also not sure I really blame them. I also find the people that run the league bigger idiots than the players so anything that pisses them off I'm kind of for.

This post was edited on 1/28 8:40 PM by coryfly

Originally posted by coryfly:

He got burned by a media guy in Buffalo so decided to hold it against all of the media. The media is full of idiots so in some way I understand. However, he is just toying with them for fun at this point. I find it silly and immature but many of these guys are so full of themselves they really don't give a crap anyway. I'm also not sure I really blame them. I also find the people that run the league bigger idiots than the players so anything that pisses them off I'm kind of for.
Thanks Cory, I didn't know the back story, but, figured he had a little animosity towards some reporter . .

You are right, most of these guys are full of themselves . . and in a very big way.

I find the whole thing somewhat amusing. Lynch will make more off endorsements than he pays in fines, so it's a good marketimg strategy if it is intentional.

I also like reporters getting screwed with so that's a plus. And I don't much like the NFL, so another plus.

In fact, I don't see any downside to this.

I looked but couldn't find the interview of Lynch back in 2006 when he played for Cal. He said all the way back then that he wished he didn't have to talk to the media and could just play ball. I'm paraphrasing of course. Point being he's been like that for a while, and I'm sure that being forced to do something he doesn't want to do has made him the spiteful person he has become. Personally, I think it's hilarious.

Here's the definitive take on the issue. It was subtitled "wrote this today about how every sportswriter should STFU, including me." Plenty of adult language, but it covers all the bases.

My feelings on Marshawn Lynch and media people, tuned to various degrees of hyperbolic intensity

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT