ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Mich St game - NCAAT)...

But it is clearly improving. I believe he hit the rim once yesterday. šŸ˜©
We all want him to snap out of it. He didnā€™t brick any of the 4 he missed. I think 2 were half way down and came out. I think (hope) heā€™s close. He just needs to take them more naturally without overthinking it - or drive for a better shot for him or others

We all want him to snap out of it. He didnā€™t brick any of the 4 he missed. I think 2 were half way down and came out. I think (hope) heā€™s close. He just needs to take them more naturally without overthinking it - or drive for a better shot for him or others
I agree thatā€™s why I want him to keep shooting itā€¦Moving forward teams are going to give him that shotā€¦

Bama will give him the Leaky Black treatment on steroids. I would not be surprised to see them playing man with 4 players and have their 5 staying in the lane pretending to guard him. I couldn't figure out why he was taking 3's, two quick dribbles and he has the open 12 footer.

Don't get me wrong - I want him on the floor. Think I saw we were +20 with him on the court. If true that is amazing considering MSU was guarding 4 with 5 essentially.

Purdue looked SCARY and of course dook's bracket falls apart for them. Houston either beats them by 15 or loses by 20. And having state in the sweet 16 makes me throw up a little. Screw the conference, I pull for UNC and against the rest, although I would love a rematch with Clemson.

Cadeau and HD are handling this inability to knockdown a 3 the absolute right way. There is no need to change anything at this point in the season. Cadeau took the necessary dare shots early in the game(3) and then the last attempt at the beginning of the second half(had the lead & just wanted to confirm he cant shoot). Going forward, Cadeau will get the same dare shots, he will take a couple early, and adjust.

Cadeau is a winner. The offense is at another level when Cadeau is on the floor. Neither an experienced RJ or Caleb could run it efficiently at crunch time. Last years lingering snapshot is a shot clock 30 footer. Cadeau eliminates that high risk/low reward offense.

Cadeau plays a seasoned game with good decision making. It is up to the staff to provide him with options when being unguarded. Option 1 has failed(take the dare shot) and still got the win. Option 2 has been to remove Cadeau from the lineup. I dont see this team maximizing its potential that way. The staff needs to adjust the offensive set action to keep Cadeau on the floor(he is not going to suddenly start shooting 30% from 3). Cadeaus mindset has never revolved around shooting.

^ Excellent analysis, Lewis and Miller. šŸ‘šŸ¾
Since heā€™s learned to stay out of foul trouble, his floor presence is the key to our teamā€™s success.
Anything he gives us offensively by driving to the glass or pulling up is a bonus. Should he turn down
open threes? No, take a few and see what happens.

Cadeau and HD are handling this inability to knockdown a 3 the absolute right way. There is no need to change anything at this point in the season. Cadeau took the necessary dare shots early in the game(3) and then the last attempt at the beginning of the second half(had the lead & just wanted to confirm he cant shoot). Going forward, Cadeau will get the same dare shots, he will take a couple early, and adjust.

Cadeau is a winner. The offense is at another level when Cadeau is on the floor. Neither an experienced RJ or Caleb could run it efficiently at crunch time. Last years lingering snapshot is a shot clock 30 footer. Cadeau eliminates that high risk/low reward offense.

Cadeau plays a seasoned game with good decision making. It is up to the staff to provide him with options when being unguarded. Option 1 has failed(take the dare shot) and still got the win. Option 2 has been to remove Cadeau from the lineup. I dont see this team maximizing its potential that way. The staff needs to adjust the offensive set action to keep Cadeau on the floor(he is not going to suddenly start shooting 30% from 3). Cadeaus mindset has never revolved around shooting.
I think I agree with some of this, think I may disagree a touch on some of it, not totally sure, I may just be reading it wrong? Most seem to want Cadeau to keep on shooting those "dare you to shoot it" treys, I don't. To be crystal clear, I do not want a player taking a shot he does not believe he can make, that applies to Cadeau now, it applied to Leaky last couple seasons, it even applies to Seth now. Notice what Seth has done not taking a lot of shots that RJ, Ryan, Ingram, even Paxon love to take? Seth had found other ways to produce offensively and that without his being nearly the ball handler Cadeau is.

When it comes to the dribble portion of ball handling there are not many if any guys in the NCAA that are better, do ya recall the last time he was not able to break a press, notice how often teams will try to press us and we get it to Cadeau they back off. Since about or 4th or 5th game opponents have helped off of Cadeau in half court to double RJ. Opposing coaches have had the stance to play Cadeau exclusively for the drive, it is really not new. There are other ways to use Cadeau, there were other ways to use Leaky rather than have them step outside for a shot they do not believe in. Give him a screen and force a defender to switch and drive and either finish to slip it, he has done that many times. You going to give a small guard that is a great passer and ball handler the ability to see over the defense un-obstructed, that ends up in a lot of lay ups and dunks.

Think about it, a defense that is willing to give Cadeau a 1 or 2 and maybe more FREE STEP lead when he decides to get down hill, you gonna let the kid set you up with a cross over that you can't touch even if you were closer? LOL Not only does that draw a defender to Cadeau but it allows Cadeau to nearly select what mismatch he wants to exploit, why would I want him to shoot a trey he does not fully believe in right now? LOL

Last edited:

Cadeau plays a seasoned game with good decision making. It is up to the staff to provide him with options when being unguarded. Option 1 has failed(take the dare shot) and still got the win. Option 2 has been to remove Cadeau from the lineup. I dont see this team maximizing its potential that way. The staff needs to adjust the offensive set action to keep Cadeau on the floor(he is not going to suddenly start shooting 30% from 3). Cadeaus mindset has never and k and revolved around shooting.
Great post!
Playing styles of Bama and possibly Arizona feed into EC Strengths. There will not be a high volume of long half court possessions.
Secondary break and freelance guick hitting offense will be in play. Regional should be EC playground to excell

I agree with his little hitch. He is trying to aim his shots because he doesn't have confidence in his ability! I like that Hubs never chastises him for taking them even though I wish he wouldn't. Hubs showing faith that he will eventually hit them will pay dividends at some point. Once he gets out of his own head and just shoots in rhythm, he will be fine. Imagine how unstoppable he will be once a head/pump fake has some teeth!!! EC is tough and smart enough to keep growing and playing and he is finding ways to help his team! Now if some peeps would get their freakin' hands ready at all times, his assists will skyrocket! Right now some of his turnovers are Ty Lawson TOs (the right pass to an unsuspecting team mate)

Everything looks better and transferrable after a win. I was pretty fearful of the matchup against Michigan State going in, but that was more based on reputation and respect for Izzo than anything they've shown this season on the court. That wasn't a team built for March. They play at a ridiculously slow pace, they were a really poor offensive team relative to the teams playing in the tournament, and they didn't do traditionally good things like rebounding all season. In reality, this was a game that favored UNC. Saying all that.....

Just a solid performance. Credit to Michigan State for throwing the first punch. They made a lot of shots and it didn't hold through for the entire game. Credit for us showing some toughness and hanging in there.

I honestly thought the bench was a bit of a mixed bag. Withers struggled in the first half, but was really good in the second half. Trimble was meh in the first half and outstanding in the second half. I thought Wojcik getting two assists in the first half was huge. If we can break even or be positive with Wojcik in the few minutes of non-garbage time minutes he's out there for, that's a huge bonus. UNC has been really bad with him on the floor all season long.

Obviously, Ingram and Ryan need to be productive to add scoring to RJ and Bacot. That's especially important going forward because Alabama and (assuming) Arizona have more firepower than Michigan State. So we'll need a maybe 25'ish points from the third and fourth options.

I agree with his little hitch. He is trying to aim his shots because he doesn't have confidence in his ability! I like that Hubs never chastises him for taking them even though I wish he wouldn't. Hubs showing faith that he will eventually hit them will pay dividends at some point. Once he gets out of his own head and just shoots in rhythm, he will be fine. Imagine how unstoppable he will be once a head/pump fake has some teeth!!! EC is tough and smart enough to keep growing and playing and he is finding ways to help his team! Now if some peeps would get their freakin' hands ready at all times, his assists will skyrocket! Right now some of his turnovers are Ty Lawson TOs (the right pass to an unsuspecting team mate)
Unfortunately, right now Cadeau is a 0 shooter. Whether he's capable of making open shots is up for debate and that's probably more of a subjective feeling. When the games have been played, he hasn't shown a consistent ability to make perimeter shots. I would prefer his first shot not to be a 3. I would rather him attack the air space and shoot something closer, or try to get his first shots from the FT line.

I'm not a shooting coach, but I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with his stroke. But that doesn't mean his shots will eventually fall either.

I do think we'll need him to make a timely bucket or two now that the opponents are better. Nate Oats is pretty analytically driven so it wouldn't surprise me if they lay off of Cadeau a lot too.

Last edited:
Bama will give him the Leaky Black treatment on steroids. I would not be surprised to see them playing man with 4 players and have their 5 staying in the lane pretending to guard him. I couldn't figure out why he was taking 3's, two quick dribbles and he has the open 12 footer.

Don't get me wrong - I want him on the floor. Think I saw we were +20 with him on the court. If true that is amazing considering MSU was guarding 4 with 5 essentially.

Purdue looked SCARY and of course dook's bracket falls apart for them. Houston either beats them by 15 or loses by 20. And having state in the sweet 16 makes me throw up a little. Screw the conference, I pull for UNC and against the rest, although I would love a rematch with Clemson.
Alabama is horrific defensively. So even if they don't guard Cadeau (or Trimble) on the perimeter, there should still be opportunities to get good shots against them.

But I think the Alabama game comes down to how Alabama shoots it from 3 and how UNC defends it. Been a bit of a mixed bag defending the 3. Teams have shot 35.8% from 3 against UNC since January 26th. Teams were shooting 28.4% from 3 against UNC before January 26th.

If Alabama makes their 3's, they're going to have a shot to win the game just purely off the volume of 3's they take. I don't think they're good enough defensively to win by a margin against UNC. But if Alabama doesn't make their 3's, they may not be good enough defensively to keep it close.

It will be a fun game. This can be an 80 possession game if we want it to be. Everyone here wants to run run run. This will be the game where Alabama will allow us to if we want to.

There is something wrong with his stroke but it isn't really mechanical, but mental. He simply needs to let it flow and not think about it too much. I totally agree that he should hit one of his spectacular drives or a pull up in the midrange first to see some success BUT the last thing he or the team needs is a coach telling him not to take a shot! He should take a few in both halves but only in certain spots like when we are leading. He should definitely drive at some of the peeps laying off him to put them in a bind and then shoot or drop those incredible dimes! They should also put him in some pick/rolls to help make the D honest

The best scenario for this team offensively is for RJ, Ingram, and Ryan to shoot it efficiently from 3 in the same game. At that point, it matters less what Cadeau does from 3. The concern is if one, two, or god forbid all 3 of them struggle in the same game. You're probably going to need some shots from unexpected sources then. Everything looks great and transferrable after a convincing win.

One thing I would change though... Cadeau missed one of his 3's from the short wing area. Near the corner, but in the wing arced area. That's a hard shot for anyone. If it were me, I'd want Cadeau shooting it from the top of the key.

Regardless though, it has to start defensively for this team.

The good part is we havenā€™t needed ECs shooting all year. While heā€™s scored several games and weā€™ve definitely needed it, now is not the time to try to figure out something he hasnā€™t done all year. I hate it with a passion but you know he hates it even more and wants to correct it. I have no doubt itā€™s in there somewhere. Keep leading and creating wild man.

Excellent post and an example for all the posters (on both sides of the discussion) who bickered on the last game summary thread.

I agree that EC should take those 'gimme shots' early - if he gets in a groove, then terrific, if not he has the sense to go to other options.

What I'd like to see is the defensive rebounders - especially Ingram, get the ball to EC quicker - too often Ingram will take a dribble or two and then hand off and this has already slowed the fast break. Mando has a habit of giving the ball to RJ (probably comfort in his long-time team mate) and then RJ passes to EC..... once again the break is slowed. The quicker EC gets the ball, the more likely we'll see a transition bucket.

What I'd like to see is the defensive rebounders - especially Ingram, get the ball to EC quicker - too often Ingram will take a dribble or two and then hand off and this has already slowed the fast break. Mando has a habit of giving the ball to RJ (probably comfort in his long-time team mate) and then RJ passes to EC..... once again the break is slowed. The quicker EC gets the ball, the more likely we'll see a transition bucket.
This ^

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and RP12
Alabama is horrific defensively. So even if they don't guard Cadeau (or Trimble) on the perimeter, there should still be opportunities to get good shots against them.

But I think the Alabama game comes down to how Alabama shoots it from 3 and how UNC defends it. Been a bit of a mixed bag defending the 3. Teams have shot 35.8% from 3 against UNC since January 26th. Teams were shooting 28.4% from 3 against UNC before January 26th.

If Alabama makes their 3's, they're going to have a shot to win the game just purely off the volume of 3's they take. I don't think they're good enough defensively to win by a margin against UNC. But if Alabama doesn't make their 3's, they may not be good enough defensively to keep it close.

It will be a fun game. This can be an 80 possession game if we want it to be. Everyone here wants to run run run. This will be the game where Alabama will allow us to if we want to.
Carolina must push on those 3' s that Bama misses on. That is how the Heels always punished Dook on their missed 3' s

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT