ADVERTISEMENT

Is Bacot now on a mission

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
I cannot put a finger on it but something has changed in Armando’s game this last two games and I for one like it a lot. Against both Pittsburgh and Clemson who like to play physical and take no prisoners Bacot never once retreated and treating body blows with body blows of his own.

Armando to me played like he had a chip on his shoulder and he was not going to be denied getting his shot off deep in the blocks, cleaning up the boards, keeping his opponents from doing serious damage against his team and even getting some assists.

My guess would be that Bacot now knows that this is his last rodeo in Carolina Blue and he wants all of those couch coaches who could not hold his jock and continue to say he is soft to enjoy eating a monster bowl of crow…

Wednesday he will get DJ Burns who is tremendous down low and has a mid range game and is big enough to battle Bacot straight up so we will how he handles that battle and more importantly lead by example..

Nothing cements a legacy like a championship banner. Hope Mando keeps the fire. Far as individual stats, he has a shot to achieve the list below. But we will always think, well he had 5 seasons. Still it is impressive nonetheless.

#1 in UNC all time rebounds (already done)
#1 in UNC all time double doubles (already done)
#2 in UNC all time scoring (realistically not catching Hansbrough)
#4 in UNC all time blocks (likely not catching the #3 Sam Perkins)

The list above should get him in the rafters. I don't want to dilute the standard, but this level of sustained success is unprecedented! (Maybe we ought to revisit the requirements???)

My $0.02 - Bacot really wants to be the last to wear #5 for UNC. He realizes a lot of his numbers are gonna have an asterisk beside them so his legacy needs a banner.
He'd have to win one of the recognized NPoY awards to permanently retire #5. Seems like Zach Edey is going to win them all.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Let's see how he fares against Burns tonight. Still not sure he's a "rafter" player .. and if so the standards needs re-visiting.

With all due respect. The standard is the standard and if Bacot were to meet it, he would be very much deserving, despite your personal preference on him as a player.

The standards are just fine where they are. Bacot has accumulated some great numbers. But to be blunt the players up there accomplished more. If he were to be acc tourney mvp or final four mvp I might put him in the top 20 all time tar heels. Not right now though.

I’m guessing he wants to play at the next level and sell more Mondo Burgers 🍔

Last edited:
With all due respect. The standard is the standard and if Bacot were to meet it, he would be very much deserving, despite your personal preference on him as a player.
Agreed. He's been very good but I don't think he's on pace to get up in the rafters. Not looking like an All-American so far. Best shot is as a championship MVP.

I totally agree with the idea that we should never reduce our standards. I also really want to recognize Bacot's many contributions! Hopefully, he will reach our established criteria!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT