ADVERTISEMENT

It was worth electing Trump

I said it was coming. I didn't say it was coming tomorrow. You said "Never going to happen." I have absolutely no doubt that it will be gone. It might even take 50 years. But, it's coming. In fact, the more frequently these elections result in the winner not having the popular vote, the faster it becomes a memory.
As long as CA and NY remain two of the most populated states and consistently vote for democrats, the GOP has no reason to get rid of it. 3/4 of the state legislatures would have to become overwhelmingly democratic for it to be abolished. In my opinion that's never going to happen.

As long as CA and NY remain two of the most populated states and consistently vote for democrats, the GOP has no reason to get rid of it. 3/4 of the state legislatures would have to become overwhelmingly democratic for it to be abolished. In my opinion that's never going to happen.
I respect your opinion.

You even know it's obsolete. You're not arguing for it to stay. You're arguing for why those that need it to stay will try and keep it from happening!

I respect your opinion.

You even know it's obsolete. You're not arguing for it to stay. You're arguing for why those that need it to stay will try and keep it from happening!
I'm arguing for it to stay because people in Wyoming, Montana, Texas, Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, SC, NC, Georgia, etc don't want NY and California dictating what happens in their states.

I respect your opinion.

Actually, I never said it was obsolete. I think there is a good argument to be made for both sides, but I'm not a fan of changing the constitution for reasons that are strictly political so I think it should stay.

Reactions: nctransplant
I'm arguing for it to stay because people in Wyoming, Montana, Texas, Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, SC, NC, Georgia, etc don't want NY and California dictating what happens in their states.
I'll use this logic for NC.

What you're saying is that the citizens of Charlotte, RDU/Chapel Hill, Greensboro, Winston-Salem are who elects the governor in NC? The people who live in Boone, Smithfield, Scotland Neck, and Burgaw... their votes don't count?

My wife had an interesting idea. Maybe we should just divide the US into halves, One gets the east and one gets the west. You gotta move to the side that supports your political leanings R or D.

Pretty much no they don't.
Explain that. How does a vote in Burgaw not count, but a vote in Charlotte counts?
The governor only needs to appeal to the citizens in big cities to win? The way we elect governors is flawed?

I'd say that the Founders never intended, or foresaw, the 2-party system that has hijacked the political process. That's a huge blind spot. There were many more huge blind spots and unintended consequences that they had no way of conceiving. The original presidential election didn't even have many state popular votes counted. It was only the EC voting. South Carolina never held a popular vote for president at all... until after the Civil War.

Explain that. How does a vote in Burgaw not count, but a vote in Charlotte counts?
The governor only needs to appeal to the citizens in big cities to win? The way we elect governors is flawed?

I'd say that the Founders never intended, or foresaw, the 2-party system that has hijacked the political process. That's a huge blind spot. There were many more huge blind spots and unintended consequences that they had no way of conceiving. The original presidential election didn't even have many state popular votes counted. It was only the EC voting. South Carolina never held a popular vote for president at all... until after the Civil War.
D-E-M-O-G-R-A-P-H-I-C-S

D-E-M-O-G-R-A-P-H-I-C-S
It's going to take more than hyphenating a word. Especially a vague reference like that.

Well, I take that back. That may be all it takes for you. I can use the demographics argument against the desire to keep it intact. But, I won't have to hyphenate the words.

I'd say all of the guys here would have voted for Palin. Except maybe GSD.

I'd vote for Palin...to give me a lap dance.
image.png

As far as a woman President, at first glance, I like Condi. And she's black too. So I'm like super open-minded, huh?

I know this much... there are far more people that believe it is obsolete than there are that believe it should remain intact. And like it or not, we are in a democratic society.

There are far more people that think statues of confederates should stay up than think they should come down. Like it or not, we are in a democratic society.

There are far more people that think statues of confederates should stay up than think they should come down. Like it or not, we are in a democratic society.
Then let it work. I believe that is what is being proposed, actually. The communities get to decide. I'm fine with that for sure. I think most people are okay with that scenario.

So, I decided to look this up and found that "far more people" isn't accurate when it comes to the electoral college. Only 49% of people want to get rid of it. 47% want to keep it as of December 2016 per Gallop. Per this Reuters poll 54% said they want the statues to stay up as compared to 27% who wanted to take them down.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
Then let it work. I believe that is what is being proposed, actually. The communities get to decide. I'm fine with that for sure. I think most people are okay with that scenario.

That's not what's happening. Did the people of New Orleans vote for the removal of their 4 statues? Did the people of Durham vote for the removal of their statue? Did the students at duke vote on the removal of their statue?

So, I decided to look this up and found that "far more people" isn't accurate when it comes to the electoral college. Only 49% of people want to get rid of it. 47% want to keep it as of December 2016 per Gallop. Per this Reuters poll 54% said they want the statues to stay up as compared to 27% who wanted to take them down.

So I was right and @strummingram was wrong? Just as I suspected. Thanks.

That's not what's happening. Did the people of New Orleans vote for the removal of their 4 statues? Did the people of Durham vote for the removal of their statue? Did the students at duke vote on the removal of their statue?
I objected to that mob dragging that statue in Durham down. I was very much opposed to that. To me, that was open vandalism.

I'm not sure how New Orleans decided to bring it down. If the people of New Orleans are really upset by it, I'm sure it will be addressed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT