ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Wilson we're excited about your visit !

On this one you truly understand if he goes another route, this team is at least deep with his level of talent...

Only for a year..Then its wide open, imo.

This.

It's instant gratification vs long term success sort of thing. Esp with the announcement of NOIs coming. Either go to UNC, have to face a crowded wing position for a year, but get the first crack at starting your Sophomore year, or go to KU, start early and partner up with your bro RJ for a year, but risk getting caught up in the NCAA stuff and having RJ bail and go OAD.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I'm hearing there's also a chance Howard can convince Wilson to stay at Michigan.

It’s probably just me but noticed other recruits doing this too, when they go visit two schools in one week it seems like they always go to dook,Kansas, etc on the weekend and come here on a Monday/ Tuesday when everyone is in class. I know this means nothing really and it’s not always that way, I guess I’m just thinking out loud and hoping it doesn’t mean anything. We’re going to be fine either way.

It’s probably just me but noticed other recruits doing this too, when they go visit two schools in one week it seems like they always go to dook,Kansas, etc on the weekend and come here on a Monday/ Tuesday when everyone is in class. I know this means nothing really and it’s not always that way, I guess I’m just thinking out loud and hoping it doesn’t mean anything. We’re going to be fine either way.
People already graduated. The students are mostly gone for the summer.

Is Kansas really going to give him more playing time? They've got RJ Hampton and Devin Dotson (assuming he returns) starting at the 1 and 2. Udoka starting at the 5. They just got Silvo De Sousa reinstated, likely starting at the 4.

That leaves one open starting spot, and they still have Marcus Garrett, Ochai Agbaji, David McCormak, and Mitch Lightfoot getting rotation minutes. I'd bet Garrett would start at the 3, and Abaji would be first off the bench. Wilson would be in the mix, but he could also be the 7th or 8th guy in the rotation. Not much different than here really.

Reactions: Archer2
Is Kansas really going to give him more playing time? They've got RJ Hampton and Devin Dotson (assuming he returns) starting at the 1 and 2. Udoka starting at the 5. They just got Silvo De Sousa reinstated, likely starting at the 4.

That leaves one open starting spot, and they still have Marcus Garrett, Ochai Agbaji, David McCormak, and Mitch Lightfoot getting rotation minutes. I'd bet Garrett would start at the 3, and Abaji would be first off the bench. Wilson would be in the mix, but he could also be the 7th or 8th guy in the rotation. Not much different than here really.

They also landed the 60th ranked recruit, who is a SF.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Here's a quote from Hampton's father:

"It’s never been a dream of his to play college basketball, it’s been a dream of his to use college basketball as a vehicle to get to the NBA"

Reactions: TheGLOV
That's good for Wilson because Hampton going to Kansas was what had many having Wilson go to Kansas (very good friends).

I agree. For Hampton to go overseas is indicator of Kansas' rep being sullied to some degree at least. Obviously Kansas was not appealing enough for Hampton. Maybe Jalen will want to avoid and join the Carolina family for the long term.

I agree. For Hampton to go overseas is indicator of Kansas' rep being sullied to some degree at least. Obviously Kansas was not appealing enough for Hampton. Maybe Jalen will want to avoid and join the Carolina family for the long term.

With Hampton going overseas and Jalen Lecque possibly going to the NBA, I think it's more about the changing opinions of college basketball in general. I guess some of these kids view it more as a burden than a great opportunity, and that's why Adam Silver is so eager to get rid of the OAD rule.

I am feeling the return to UM too, but I hope he decides to join the Family! He would absolutely thrive in Roy's system!

Reactions: dtodd4475
Why does everyone think he goes back to Michigan because of Howard? The Howard hiring isnt like penny or stackhouse. First of all Howard isnt in the same class as NBA appeal as both, and Penny and Stackhouse have AAU experience. Howard does not

Reactions: gauchoheel
I was going on feeling and nothing else. Howard does have NBA coaching cred and plenty of recent connections to the league. This could sway a kid with NBA aspirations, but we will see!

I think Jalen would be a very nice pickup for us as he will provide us with another multi-year core piece that has the ability to step into a major role in year 2. He also provides even more lineup versatility as I can see him as both a 3 and 4 for us. The biggest thing I would like to know coming out of his visit Tuesday is where Roy is projecting him to play, does he see him as a 4 in that hybrid forward mold, does he want to use him on the wing at the 3 or will he give him the chance to learn both positions and see where he fits best. I can kind of see him telling Jalen the latter which could be enticing for him as it will give him a chance to slot in at 2 different positions.

I do see the Kansas possibility with their availability for minutes on the wing and then Michigan as he is planning to meet with Howard soon and his mom has talked about how much she loved the Fab Five, however what continues to have me liking our chances going into the visit is that Jalen was the one who reached out to UNC upon receiving his release from Michigan knowing where our roster stood and last spring he really did want a UNC offer. I hope that him seeing the tradition our program has, our ability to develop him, play for a chance at a Final Four and Roy’s honesty that he will give everyone a fair shot to earn their minutes will win Jalen over.

An article on TOS makes him sound a lot like like Leaky with a stronger motor. Can play and guard multiple positions. Can score, handle, and defend. Says he's 6'8 and might grow a tiny bit more.

What's not to like?

Of course that was a fluff piece, but still sounds good to me.

I wonder if Pierce will reconsider if Wilson comes on board? I'm sure Pierce is expecting to play starter minutes. Wilson will only be a freshman so may not get a whole lot of PT. But some of what he does get is likely to come from Pierce's minutes.

Will that matter? I hope not. I'm looking forward to seeing Pierce play for us. But I'd also like to have Wilson in the fold for then next few years.

An article on TOS makes him sound a lot like like Leaky with a stronger motor. Can play and guard multiple positions. Can score, handle, and defend. Says he's 6'8 and might grow a tiny bit more.

What's not to like?

Of course that was a fluff piece, but still sounds good to me.

Eh, I think they're quite a bit different. Wilson is tall with a good handle but Leaky is a better point guard, while Wilson is a better shooter. Would be interesting to see how his defense stacks up with Leaky's though. I was SUPER impressed with Leaky on that side of the ball.

I wonder if Pierce will reconsider if Wilson comes on board? I'm sure Pierce is expecting to play starter minutes. Wilson will only be a freshman so may not get a whole lot of PT. But some of what he does get is likely to come from Pierce's minutes.

Will that matter? I hope not. I'm looking forward to seeing Pierce play for us. But I'd also like to have Wilson in the fold for then next few years.
I'd be really surprised. Pierce is going to start, IMO. Or at least 20-25 minutes per game. I don't see Wilson getting more than 8-10 minutes per game. Wilson is for 2020-2021 and beyond. He shouldn't impact Pierce much.

I also don't think Pierce needs huge minutes for his goals. He's not really showcasing for the NBA like some guys are. He wants to win and set himself up for a career in an NBA front office.

How ironic would it be though if Wilson decommitted from UM, committed to UNC, then Pierce decommitted from UNC and became a Wolverine? I have to admit it'd be pretty funny!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT