ADVERTISEMENT

John Papuchis

Re: Jon Papuchis

That would be a killer addition to the D staff. His Ds at Nebraska were not great, but any time a DC steps down, your D staff gets better because of the added experience. I like that he has some Nick Saban expereince followed by a little more Les Mioles expereince. That can help with him as recruiter.

Solid hire. Football Scoop says he'll be coaching defensive backs, but his only experience as a position group coach is defensive line. Chris Williamson's dad mentioned meeting the new safeties coach during his official visit, but that could be a title in name only. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some shuffling of position group responsibilities among the new coaching staff.

I wonder if we'll hang on to Gilmore and Disch after National Signing Day. Disch has been instrumental in recruiting the Jacksonville area due to his high school coaching ties there. Guys like Dalton and Crawford have mentioned their relationship with Gilmore being part of the reason for their decision. All these coaching changes are like a soap opera for men lol.

Nebraska fans seem to be split in where they lay the blame for Husker lack of success - per their history - the past 4 years. Some feel that it goes to Papuchis, with almost all of them agreeing that perhaps he got the DC job too early, that he was not ready and needed more experience. Others blame Pelini, who was a DC, for the weaknesses of the D, saying Bo was too controlling.

A point of agreement is that Papuchis was a very good recruiter. He apparently was the staff's main closer before he was named DC, and the Huskers fans tend to feel that Nebraksa recruited better when Papuchis was the signing closer.

Papuchis may be a shot in the arm to our recruiting, bringing contacts to the Big 12 and Big Ten areas, as well as Louisiana.

The best case to keep Disch on staff is that he recruits well.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

...A point of agreement is that Papuchis was a very good recruiter. He apparently was the staff's main closer before he was named DC, and the Huskers fans tend to feel that Nebraksa recruited better when Papuchis was the signing closer.
i like that credential. in real estate it's "location, location, location." in college football it's "recruiting, recruiting, recruiting."

Originally posted by JimmyinVA:

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

...A point of agreement is that Papuchis was a very good recruiter. He apparently was the staff's main closer before he was named DC, and the Huskers fans tend to feel that Nebraksa recruited better when Papuchis was the signing closer.
i like that credential. in real estate it's "location, location, location." in college football it's "recruiting, recruiting, recruiting."
I like it too. If you are FSU, it is easy as pie to sign at least two 5*s and seven or eight 4*s, every class. UNC needs help.

Here is an example of how it is (just barely) possible for Papuchis to help us in this class. A top uncommitted DT is Terry Beckner of East St Louis. He is probably the top ranked DT in a sub-region of IL, IN, WI, IA, NE, MO, and KS. Nebraska was recruited him hard, but the Huskers took comitments from 2 other 2015 DTs last March or April.

So,if Beckner likes Papuchis, he might suddenly have an interest in UNC, with Papuchis and Chizik.

So now we've got a national championship winning head coach as DC, and a former big program DC as a position coach. Seems like things are heading in the right direction. I wouldn't be surprised if he was made Chizik's #2, to be DC in waiting for when Chizik leaves, which I would assume would be at the end of this contract. Hopefully I'm wrong

Originally posted by uncboy10:
So now we've got a national championship winning head coach as DC, and a former big program DC as a position coach. Seems like things are heading in the right direction. I wouldn't be surprised if he was made Chizik's #2, to be DC in waiting for when Chizik leaves, which I would assume would be at the end of this contract. Hopefully I'm wrong
actually i would say hopefully you are correct
If Coach Chizik builds the foundation of players and coaches on the D side while staying three years AND has a solid plan for him moving on ...what more can one ask for?
Perhaps he can even help Coach Fed behind the scenes from an experience stand point as HC
That would be a win / win for everyone involved IMO

Wait- did I miss something? Did Chizik fire all the remaining D coaches? Even Disch?

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
Wait- did I miss something? Did Chizik fire all the remaining D coaches? Even Disch?
Not yet. It does seem that fromer Nebraksa DC Papuchis is coming to UNC, and as DB coach. West had been let go, and that may be the only change. But it could be the start of a total overhaul.

We 'll know by signing day.

Papuchis may not end up coaching DBs. There is still some shuffling of responsibilities left to decide, but NSD is everyone's focus right now.

Woad, Fedora has more years as a head coach than Chizik.
wink.r191677.gif
But no doubt Chizik can help complement Fedora's experience. I hope the staff being assembled is more simpatico than the last one. Sure sounded like things become completely toxic by the end of last year.

one has a NC and the other had a dumpster fire on his hands last year
that said i really do not see a downside to any of the changes - and there is a reason Chizik was available so win / win for UNC
Coach Fedora really took a giant leap forward with this move and kudos to him as many are afraid to bring in someone who in theory could challenge the head man

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
Papuchis may not end up coaching DBs. There is still some shuffling of responsibilities left to decide, but NSD is everyone's focus right now.

Woad, Fedora has more years as a head coach than Chizik.
wink.r191677.gif
But no doubt Chizik can help complement Fedora's experience. I hope the staff being assembled is more simpatico than the last one. Sure sounded like things become completely toxic by the end of last year.
Chemistry is necessary. We have upgraded our coaching staff talent and top experience a goood deal, but if the new staff fails to mesh, none of the upgrades will help much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT