ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Jackson game...

smooth as butter

Hall of Famer
Jul 23, 2002
What areas of JJ game do you think he could improve in for next season.I feel more strength will help him a lot.

Yeah, his need to add strength kinda jumps out at ya but along with strength I want him to work on agility training as well to hopefully allow him to move his feet a little better laterally. I felt at times he struggled to move his feet well enough to stay in front of some of the opposing wings he went against.

Justin should be a length mismatch for most wings, would love to see him invert more often, especially against man defenses & post up his man with a little jump hook action. So I would love to see him work on some post up scoring moves.

But for me the key to this kids next level is confidence, felt for 2/3rds of last season he seemed to struggle with confidence, there were times he seemed to me to kind of disappear within the game. Thou he is not the alpha male type of guy he at times really needs to stand out in the game, he seemed more willing late season to step up and take big shots rather than defer as he IMO did maybe a bit to much earlier on.

Our 2 wings for next season IMO couldn't really be more different, on one hand you have the more alpha male that gets in to the games and never disappears, seems to always be around the ball in Theo but seems lacking a bit in refined skill. ON the other hand you have Jackson who isn't that alpha male but is highly skilled and extremely talented especially considering his length. It is a interesting one 2 punch of 2 totally different styles at our wing position. Now if they can each adopt a bit more of their counter parts game, it would really take both of them to new heights.

I can fore see Jackson spending some time, especially if he puts on some solid usable weight, at the 4 for us in a small ball look. I could see him be a dynamic stretch 4 and his ability to put the ball on the floor in space vs other 4s would IMO be a mismatch we could milk hard. Be it at the 3 or 4, love his abiliity to hit quick floaters, think he can step in to the middle of some zones and be the guy that hits shots from the soft points in those zones. But he has to have the confidence to step to those soft spots and not hesitate with the shot. I personally love his ability to catch & shoot quickly those mid range jumpers that can be zone busters.

Agreed David, besides we have one young 'un that doesn't mind mixing it up early and often, even against NBA alums, in certain line ups it would be let Luke bang and Justin score. :cool:

Agreed David, besides we have one young 'un that doesn't mind mixing it up early and often, even against NBA alums, in certain line ups it would be let Luke bang and Justin score. :cool:

For us to be a Final Four caliber team next year, we need Luke to not play and Justin to be good enough to be drafted lottery in next years draft. Which means there will be zero instances next year or coming years of "Luke bang and Justin score".

If that's happening, we're in trouble next year.

That said, Justin is awesome. Can't wait to see this kid dominate some games and really take that next leap forward next season.

For us to be a Final Four caliber team next year, we need Luke to not play and Justin to be good enough to be drafted lottery in next years draft. Which means there will be zero instances next year or coming years of "Luke bang and Justin score".

If that's happening, we're in trouble next year.

That said, Justin is awesome. Can't wait to see this kid dominate some games and really take that next leap forward next season.

Thanks for the response...obviously a little something got lost in translation...just an offer of support for the young kid...of course Luke won't be in very many lineups as a freshman unless we are up 20+ but given his play a couple of days ago, I'd say he would hold his own in many instances. Justin will continue to improve.

Justin "to be good enough" for any lottery setting/top 10 in the draft would necessitate improvement above and beyond what we have seen to date. He will get there, I sure hope he is allowed the opportunity.

Thanks for the response...obviously a little something got lost in translation...just an offer of support for the young kid...of course Luke won't be in very many lineups as a freshman unless we are up 20+ but given his play a couple of days ago, I'd say he would hold his own in many instances. Justin will continue to improve.

Justin "to be good enough" for any lottery setting/top 10 in the draft would necessitate improvement above and beyond what we have seen to date. He will get there, I sure hope he is allowed the opportunity.

Most people already see Justin as a 2016 lottery guy with the expected level of improvement from frosh to soph.

I would rather he be really, really good and be a junior....dang "experts" and NBA'ers...as most all Heels fans know, the core of this team is gone anyway, be it graduation or NBA.
Puts presure on staff, but we have just got to load up in the 2016 class.

I'd like to see Justin show his ability to play above the rim a bit more. While I love his floater, I think it may be a bit more effective if he shows his ability to attack for a dunk a bit more often.

I think now any defense would anticipate his floater so they can game plan for him better. If he switches up going from that to a hard finish every now and again that would keep the defense guessing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT