ADVERTISEMENT

Kaepernick

Or how bout they're simply feeding into the victim mentality that's been going on for far too long? I'm very tired of hearing that somebody's "feelings" automatically validates whether or not they're right or wrong about something.

I haven't spent any time under the circumstances in which I mentioned. Which makes me fortunate I live here under the circumstances I do. The United States has its fair share of blemishes, but there's as much good as bad.

This is the problem with modern day left wing politics, people wear the word "oppression" like a badge of honor and politicize every event to their advantage, under the guise of tolerance and acceptance.
I agree that the USA is doing the best it can. And, I agree that there's certainly a considerable victimization element that is prevalent in our culture, especially among younger generations. And, there's even a certain amount of deliberate contempt and disdain by members of minorities toward police that makes it worse. But, it's not one-sided either. Tolerance and acceptance aren't bad things, in almost any context or circumstance.

I agree that the USA is doing the best it can. And, I agree that there's certainly a considerable victimization element that is prevalent in our culture, especially among younger generations. And, there's even a certain amount of deliberate contempt and disdain by members of minorities toward police that makes it worse. But, it's not one-sided either. Tolerance and acceptance aren't bad things, in almost any context or circumstance.

You're right that it's not one sided. There are plenty of bad elements on both sides of this coin. And I agree that tolerance and acceptance are generally good things to have for a healthy, functional society. But I like the quote by Reagan in which he said, "Freedom is only one generation from being extinct."

For our own sake's we need to learn how to live with each other again, offensive or not, liberal or conservative, black or white. Tolerance is a two way street. Which is why I support Kaepernick's right to sit during the anthem, while disagreeing with his reasons for doing so.

This is the point I was trying to get across. Maybe Kareem can say it better than me.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...bar-says-colin-kaepernick-needs-part-solution

I agree with much of Kareem's sentiment but here is what I don't agree with:

"Talking of the San Francisco 49ers quarterback's refusal to stand for the national anthem, Abdul-Jabbar said, "I see it as being patriotic to bring attention to issues that are important and meaningful for the whole country."'

These "issues" aren't important to me. Because from where I sit, the "issues" are greatly exaggerated for political purposes and for the left to continue to divide us and promote class and racial warfare. So no...the myth that blacks are preyed upon by police is not an important and meaningful issue to me. Furthermore, not standing for the National Anthem is completely nonsensical and has little to zero relation to the situation. If we want to start linking pieces where other athletes are chiming in on Kap's misdirected stance, see Russell Wilson's comments.

"For me, I love the flag. I love the National Anthem because it’s an emotional time for me because I’m so grateful I get to play on the football field. And every time I get to put my hand on my heart, it’s truly an honor — you know, the military, for me I think about my family members who have served, and friends — I train down in San Diego all the time, so I’m around the Navy and I see those guys around. And all they do for our country and the people in Afghanistan and all these people fighting. 9/11, for example, coming up — that’s going to be our first game and I think about all the pain from that. So that’s why I stand and put my hand on my heart.

I do think there’s always issues in our country. I think ultimately it comes back to love. Like I said to you guys before, it comes back to loving one another and appreciating one another. Understanding that we’re not perfect but we need to be equal. And that’s from the black community, from the white community, that’s from police officers to everybody to all of our military to everybody that we get to recognize and see — have great appreciation for what this country is based on — and what it should be based on. It should be based on equality. It should be based on people having freedom of speech — people can have that decision. And so, I understand what (Kaepernick’s) doing. But at the same time for me, I can also think about where we need to go and where our thoughts need to be. It needs to be about love, about caring about one another. And that’s for every community, every situation, every socio-economic status. And if we focus on that, maybe something can be change — and I think that’s important.”

If you find an expression of one of the most essential and basic principles of American freedom disrespectful, and you claim to be fighting to defend the same freedoms, then you clearly don't understand said freedoms.

I don't think anyone is trying to say he doesn't have the freedom to act like an idiot. He does. He can shit on the American flag if he wants to. But by that same token, I have the freedom to outwardly hope he loses his job, blows out his knee, gets audited by the IRS or anything else I might want to say. And that's all that's going on here. He said his piece. Now the rest of us are saying ours.

**for the record, I don't hope he blows out his knee. But I do hope he gets cut, has his contract nullified and never plays another down in the NFL.

I agree with much of Kareem's sentiment but here is what I don't agree with:

"Talking of the San Francisco 49ers quarterback's refusal to stand for the national anthem, Abdul-Jabbar said, "I see it as being patriotic to bring attention to issues that are important and meaningful for the whole country."'
I didn't take that to mean it was an endorsement of him not standing. He has been blunt in the past. I took that to mean that he wanted to say it was BS, but at the same time didn't want to piss off the people who are on Kap's side.

These "issues" aren't important to me. Because from where I sit, the "issues" are greatly exaggerated for political purposes
I agree that they have been exaggerated and exploited for political purposes, but it has become an important issue for some and it is worth a meaningful, honest discussion. If you want to help change the situation you need to advance the conversation. Kap didn't do that.

not standing for the National Anthem is completely nonsensical and has little to zero relation to the situation.
Agreed.

Reactions: carolinablue34
14088567_1125376740834576_1395482893916022677_n.png

I'm finally starting to understand "White Privilege."

I hope the POS gets cut and no NFL team picks him up. So much for his 1st million buck this year going to bashing cops and the flag...

OK Strum here is where people have a problem with some of your post. WTH does that reply even mean?
It means that claiming a white guy would get as much flack as Kaepernick is total speculation. Kaepernick is not white. I'm not speculating at all with my example.

Totally and completely incorrect. You are looking at it too rigidly; you're saying it's an "either/or" situation when that isn't the case. It is certainly possible to support the American tenet of free speech while simultaneously feeling disrespected by someone's speech/expression.

A very basic example. I am a Christian. I am also a believer in, and supporter of, the American principle of freedom of and from religion as well as the freedom of speech and to assemble. However, saying all that....I attended a Georgia Tech football game a few years back and near the gate entrance, there was a group of overzealous Christians who were preaching about the virtues of becoming a follower of Christ, but they were doing so in an overly obnoxious and antagonistic way that not only pissed off everyone in line but also made Christians, in general, look like antagonistic bullies. In that situation, I and the rest of the crowd found their antics very disrespectful, yet at the same time we respected their right to be there and protest and preach -- i.e., we did not try to kick their ass, nor did we tell them they had no right to protest and preach. Instead, we peacefully ignored them until we could make it to the front of the line and then in to the stadium.

You can absolutely do both.

Except he isn't antagonizing anybody. He just chose to abstain from participating in a nationalistic ritual.

I agree with your premise. Of course you can respect free speech, but be offended by how someone chooses to express it. But I'm speaking very specifically about members of the military thinking that it is an "offensive" or "disrespectful" expression of that free speech specifically towards them. Essentially they are saying that everyone should have to stand. Which is the antithesis to the very principles they're fighting to defend.

Reactions: strummingram
WTF is an Allen Etzler? Only Strumley could come up with a complete Nobody to illustrate his narrative.

Lol have you even heard of an ad hominem fallacy? Or do you just enjoy making yourself look dumb?....

Lol have you even heard of an ad hominem fallacy? Or do you just enjoy making yourself look dumb?....
I don't think he really has to try very hard at that. Did you see how hard he was duped after the NCAA Tourney loss? It was pretty amazing. To be fair, though, those guys colluded and ganged-up on him pretty bad.

I don't think he really has to try very hard at that. Did you see how hard he was duped after the NCAA Tourney loss? It was pretty amazing. To be fair, though, those guys colluded and ganged-up on him pretty bad.

I almost hate that I missed that.

Wow. coming from the king of the phoneys....Joe "Cool" himself.

Please, if you're going to use the damn Huffington Post as a source to back up your point, you've already lost half the battle.

Kaepernick has the right to sit if he wants. I do support that because freedom and tolerance go both ways, it's a two way street. Liberals and conservatives alike are remarkably inconsistent in what they choose to get outraged about.

Men and women die for the right to stand or sit. However, I think the way Kaepernick is going about it is stupid for a number of reasons.

First off, the pigs wearing cop hat socks is not a good idea. Easily misinterpreted.

Secondly, the man makes 19 million a year. Don't see him trying to foster better relations between the police and the community in San Francisco. Or anything else for that matter. And then he uses the term "oppression" like we're back in 1955. That word is so over used now in liberal media and the academic left that it doesn't mean anything. It's a buzzword used when someone doesn't have an argument and can't intelligently debate you, similar to "mansplaining" and "check your privilege." It's obnoxious and misused. You know what oppressed means to most people? Pol Pot's Cambodia, Joseph Stalin's USSR, Hitler's Germany, or modern day North Korea and Iran. Not the U.S. in 2016, despite our flaws.

If he had said, I'm sitting because we haven't done enough to address policing issues, or racial problems, I might be more sympathetic or understanding. But he lost me at "oppressed."

Or how bout they're simply feeding into the victim mentality that's been going on for far too long? I'm very tired of hearing that somebody's "feelings" automatically validates whether or not they're right or wrong about something.

I haven't spent any time under the circumstances in which I mentioned. Which makes me fortunate I live here under the circumstances I do. The United States has its fair share of blemishes, but there's as much good as bad.

This is the problem with modern day left wing politics, people wear the word "oppression" like a badge of honor and politicize every event to their advantage, under the guise of tolerance and acceptance.
Two of the best posts on this thread.

Reactions: carolinablue34
You all realize there is a way to debate about this civilly? I'm more center right, but that doesn't mean I think less of someone who's a lefty. Unless they're an SJW. Then they've lost me haha

Reactions: tarheel0910
You all realize there is a way to debate about this civilly? I'm more center right, but that doesn't mean I think less of someone who's a lefty. Unless they're an SJW. Then they've lost me haha

You obviously haven't read some of the posts about the current POTUS on this board.

You obviously haven't read some of the posts about the current POTUS on this board.

To be frank, the way Hillary and Trump have been acting, it makes him look good by comparison.

But while I am for civil debate, I do recall very harsh words from liberals about Bush during his administration that were pretty outrageous. As I've said in this thread, this business is a two way street.

wow that is so witty. Did you spend the last few hours working on that one?
Nope... maybe 12 seconds. I don't suffer from dip-shittedness like you. The time between your post and mine was maybe 30 minutes.

oops... the marble fell out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT