ADVERTISEMENT

(Looking for a) Hamilton

heelz2345

Hall of Famer
Mar 4, 2008
I have no idea if any you are interested in this sort of thing, but have you guys listened to Hamilton yet? For those of you who don't know, it's basically a hip-hop opera on Broadway that tells the life of Alexander Hamilton from 1776 to his death in 1804 at the hands of Aaron Burr. It also features several other founding fathers as characters such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison. It's nominated for 16 Tony awards, which is the record for most nominations ever. The soundtrack also became platinum certified yesterday, which is pretty rare for Broadway musicals.

I have listened to the soundtrack basically on repeat for about the past month or so, and I think it's just incredible. Musically, it's so solid top to bottom, but even more impressive to me is how it works so much of the founding of our country into a form that is easy to understand and enjoy. I've talked to a few history teachers about it, and they said they have a lot of students who enjoy it and have learned a lot from it, but more importantly are excited to learn. I would absolutely love to actually see this show as opposed to just listening to the soundtrack, but considering it's sold out for the next year or so, it doesn't seem likely I'll see it soon. As a person who both enjoys hip-hop and musical theatre, I don't think you have to like either or both of those to really appreciate the story, because it's just so well-crafted you don't even notice those things and can just enjoy it. I highly recommend listening to it as soon as you get a chance, if you haven't already.

(BTW, I was already planning to poast this today, but I figured since it rhymed with the other titles du jour, that I had to keep with tradition)

You lost me at "hip-hop opera"....
Honestly, I know a handful of people who won't listen to it because of that same sort of thing, but there are enough songs in there that are not 100% hip-hop that I think even someone who's not a fan of that will still be able to appreciate it.

Honestly, I know a handful of people who won't listen to it because of that same sort of thing, but there are enough songs in there that are not 100% hip-hop that I think even someone who's not a fan of that will still be able to appreciate it.
I'm sure you're right.

Reactions: heelz2345
I'm sure you're right.
84393-Ron-Swanson-chuckle-gif-laugh-7D4G.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT