ADVERTISEMENT

LUCAS: IN POSITION...

reggaeheel

Sophomore
Apr 6, 2003
CH
LUCAS: IN POSITION...

Early Sunday evening, you got the very distinct feeling that Hubert Davis could get used to this.

The first year Carolina head coach had virtually the entire program at his home for Sunday night's NCAA Tournament selection viewing party. He and his wife, Leslie, fed the entire team, the coaches and most of their wives, and numerous other support staff in the hour before the brackets were revealed.

Once the show hit the air, a distinct sense of nervousness fell over the players. The laughter and jokes went quiet each time a region's eight and nine seeds were revealed, proof everyone in attendance was well aware of most projections. And after each of the first three regions, there was Hubert Davis, making a circle around the den, patting a player's back here, sharing a quick word there.

"It didn't really hit me until we got to Coach Davis' house," said Armando Bacot. "Seeing where all the teams were falling and having to wait to be in the last bracket that was announced had all of us anxious."

Certain matchups got the players talking—perhaps none more so than Auburn and Jacksonville State in the first round, which might seem unusual until you realize that two former Tar Heels will match up in that game—but mostly it was quiet as the teams were revealed.

Davis wanted to make certain his team knew that this was a night for celebration. "The guys put themselves in position to play in the NCAA Tournament," he said. "That's one of many goals I had for the team at the beginning of the year, and I'm really proud of them. There have been some ups and downs this season. They have fought through adversity and always gotten back up. I'm happy to be their coach."

By the time three quarters of the full bracket had been revealed, the nerves in the room were starting to switch to excitement. There was no more uncertainty remaining—the Tar Heels knew they'd be in that final region announced. During the commercial break, players and staff members tried to piece together the 16 teams left on the board and slot them into the most likely matchups. Their projections were very close.

Carolina's announcement as the eight seed was greeted with the loudest cheer in years. The Tar Heels haven't experienced a "true" NCAA Tournament since 2019, with the 2021 event canceled and the 2021 edition held in the midst of the pandemic. This time, the excitement was evident.

"To put themselves in the position to have a chance to reach their dreams and goals is something to celebrate and something to have fun with," Davis said. "I'm glad the guys all had smiles on their faces. This is not guaranteed, even at Carolina. What I saw on their faces was exactly what I wanted to see."

When Davis addressed the team after the full bracket was revealed, there was no discussion of the matchup with nine seed Marquette. In many ways, he has an inexperienced team. The only player on the roster who has won an NCAA Tournament game at Carolina is Leaky Black, who was part of the 2019 team and played exactly three minutes in the most recent Tar Heel NCAA win, a victory over Washington that season in the round of 32.

"I put a photo of the New Orleans Superdome in all of your lockers at the beginning of the season," Davis told the team, referencing the location of this year's Final Four. "I wanted to let you know clearly and definitely where we're going."

That journey will begin on Monday, when the Tar Heels will have their first practice since the ACC Tournament (Sunday was an NCAA-mandated off day). Late on Sunday night, Davis was still grinning.

In many ways, it was his perfect day. His team was one of only 68 still competing for a national championship. The players were loose and comfortable in his home. All of his kids were home for a few brief hours, a rare luxury when you have a college age child. Life is pretty good for Hubert Davis, and as hectic as the next few days will be, he clearly understood the progress this group had made together.

He wanted them to enjoy that for a few more hours. Then, the challenge begins.

"I want them to enjoy where we are and celebrate having a chance to be part of this tournament," he said. "Then it's back to work in terms of preparation and practice. They have to understand that this is it. If you don't play well, you go home. There's an urgency and a seriousness about this that has to take place. Our program and guys are in great position to play their best, and at the end of the day that's all you want."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT