ADVERTISEMENT

LUCAS: THE DREAM...

reggaeheel

Sophomore
Apr 6, 2003
CH
LUCAS: THE DREAM...

BROOKLYN—Hubert Davis was watching the Louisville-Virginia game on Wednesday night when he had a revelation.

"I was watching the game last night, and one of the things they've done since the first time we played them is that in late clock situations, they wanted to give the ball to Kihei Clark," Davis told Jones Angell on the Tar Heel Sports Network after the game. "He was their go-to guy. For them to have success offensively, he needed to have a big night. So I thought we had to put Leaky (Black) on him. RJ did a great job on him the first time, but we felt like Leaky's length would bother him on his jump shot when he got into the lane."

The unexpected switch to match up Carolina's All-Defensive team selection--several Tar Heels still believe he deserved more consideration for Defensive Player of the Year--with Virginia's point guard worked perfectly. Clark struggled to get involved with the offense and didn't score a point until 13:34 remained in the game. By that time, Carolina had already built a 21-point lead and was well on its way to the ACC Tournament semifinals.

It was just the latest good decision by the Tar Heel head coach who has—apparently under the radar, judging by ACC Coach of the Year votes—done a terrific job with his first Carolina team. Apologies to those who already made their decision on Davis' coaching prowess in January, but at 24-8 overall and with 16 wins against ACC opponents, it might be time to adjust the national storyline: Hubert Davis has done an excellent job in his first year as the Tar Heels' head coach.

He's doing it strategically, as with the choice to match up Black on Clark. He's also added some wrinkles to Carolina's halfcourt sets to free Brady Manek for jumpers, and he's put the ball in RJ Davis' hands more often offensively to relieve Caleb Loveof some playmaking duties.

Love and Davis combined for 11 assists and one turnover against the Cavaliers; Davis' six were the most of anyone who played in the game for either team.

"My teammates and the coaching staff trust me," said RJ Davis, who is playing less than an hour from his hometown of White Plains, New York. "They trust me to make the right plays, whether that's scoring or getting a good shot for someone else."

Hubert Davis has also done it away from the chalkboard. Channeling his NBA experience, he's tailored practices to make sure he isn't overworking the five starters who have played the vast majority of the minutes (and before you chirp about usage of the bench, remember that Dawson Garcia and Anthony Harris, two would-be rotation players, are unavailable). A Carolina practice in March looks much, much different from a December session. They're no less focused, but they are less physically demanding, especially on the five starters.

Davis regularly demonstrates an understanding of the mindset of his team. Even on Thursday night, he tried to get freshman D'Marco Dunn some second half minutes as the Tar Heels stretched the lead. Dunn had a rough first appearance, falling down a couple of times and committing a turnover. Davis quickly removed him from the game, but here's the key—after a quick minute on the bench to slow the freshman's heart rate, Davis put him right back in the game. That's not just a coach. That's a coach who knows what it's like to be a player.

Every tweak, every detail of the program has been with the emphasis on the players. Earlier this season, Davis balked when ESPN Gameday wanted to interview him when the show was broadcast from the Smith Center. Instead, he suggested, seniors Brady Manek and Leaky Black should accompany him. All three were included on the live national television interview.

A few weeks later, in his moment of greatest triumph, Davis kept the exact same philosophy, one that seems very reminiscent of Dean Smith. That's why after the win over Duke on Saturday night, it wasn't Hubert Davis being interviewed on Coach K Court, but Manek and RJ Davis.

How good has the head coach been? After what felt like a potential season-spoiling home loss to Pittsburgh, the Tar Heels have ripped off six wins in a row, three of them by double figures. It's the longest winning streak of the season, and it comes at the perfect time.

Regardless of what else happens in Brooklyn, Carolina is playing its best basketball of the season and has transformed from an occasionally frustrating group to a team that plays, well, they play hard, smart and together. It's March 10, and these Tar Heels might be playing closer to their maximum potential than any other time during the season. There's plenty of credit to go around, to all the players and the coaching staff especially. But don't forget to sprinkle a little gratitude on the one who least demands it, as their head coach has stayed patient and positive and now has the 2022 Tar Heels looking much more like a team.

"There's been a progression with us," RJ Davis said. "We play with more grit now. At the beginning of the year, we took plays off. Now we're taking it possession by possession. We have to do it together…We've all bought in and we all want to win. We all have a dream."

I was a pretty harsh critic of Hubert, particularly of some of the things he said, and truth be told, he deserved it. He had a lot of pressure on him, so it’s understandable that he struggled with things. It’s a tough job to be thrown into. I hope and believe that he’s turned the corner. He’s looking much better now.

I believe Coach has turned the corner and the team has turned the corner. This is not the same team that got blown out back to back by Miami and Wake in mid January

Hubert pulled an old Dean trick out of the hat. I can't remember his name, but Clemson had a little point guard back when Rick Barnes was there that gave everyone fits. That year, Clemson came into Chapel Hill as a favorite. In a surprise move Dean put Vince Carter on him figuring he would ha e trouble against the bigger player. And he was right, as Carter shut him down as he couldn't get a shot off over his length

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT