ADVERTISEMENT

Mack Brown at his very best

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
was not Dabo's equal in anything but talking. Mack past 70? Definitely not the guy to take your program to any new heights.

Reactions: chickenhunter
was not Dabo's equal in anything but talking. Mack past 70? Definitely not the guy to take your program to any new heights.
It’s not his fault…Nobody can take this program to the next level…It’s a culture thing man…Just not enough True Football fans…Also the culture at UNC…Look at Radar on this site that is UNC culture…

UNC basketball fans and Auburn or Alabama football fans…Makes me sick…

Reactions: JimmyinVA
It’s not his fault…Nobody can take this program to the next level…It’s a culture thing man…Just not enough True Football fans…Also the culture at UNC…Look at Radar on this site that is UNC culture…

UNC basketball fans and Auburn or Alabama football fans…Makes me sick…
UNC used to have that fan base. Before Frank McGuire was hired. In the 1940s, all UNC-Dook football games were played with several thousand temporary bleachers to accommodate demand.

Give UNC a real top notch football coach who is able to hire a top notch staff, and then watch the general UNC fan base begin to move.

Take a look at Louisville. In 1980, the UofL fan base was basketball over football by al least 10 to 1. Then the administration decided that the onbly way it could ever hope to get into a real conference was to develop football. They hired hometown hero Howard Schnellenberger. The admin began talking about the path top secure national rankings and bids to Major bowls. They invested big money. If anything, they let basketball slide a few years while they went 100% on improving football.

Today, people who follow Louisville sports are very passionate about their football.

It has been said by many analysts, etc., that UNC is a sleeping giant in football just waiting to be awakened by the right circumstances. The program might have needed Mack when he was rehired. Mack can recruit. The talent is there. Mack is good at raising money. And Mack healed a lot of wounds from a fan base that had fallen apart. But that being said, it is time to depart from the walk down memory lane with Mack. Mack is Mack. Two, or three, times a year, Mack is going to lose games he shouldn’t lose. Go ask the folks in Texas. That’s what got him run out of Austin. UNC could be a elite player in football if the administration want that. But do they? Do they want to pay the going rate for a proven head coach, or would they hire the latest “hot guy” from a mid major like they did with Fedora? Mack is in his 70s. Going to be harder to convince recruits that he will be here throughout their careers. Mack says he is coming back. Not sure what can be accomplished by that. Wish Bubba would decide to spend the money, bring in a proven winner, and elevate this program where it could be. I understand the loyalty to basketball. It has always been UNCs safety net. But football is what moves the needle these days.

I favor Keeping Mack as chief recruiter/fund-raiser-PR lead. With his ability to recruit, the right coaching staff could awaken that "sleeping giant." Mack is well-respected in the coaching profession, and I am inclined to think that having him connected to the program (not as a coach) could possibly be very attractive to some high-powered HCs.

I favor Keeping Mack as chief recruiter/fund-raiser-PR lead. With his ability to recruit, the right coaching staff could awaken that "sleeping giant." Mack is well-respected in the coaching profession, and I am inclined to think that having him connected to the program (not as a coach) could possibly be very attractive to some high-powered HCs.
I would be all for that, if Mack could do that. But his ego won't allow that. That in short is why he got fired at Texas. The naming of Muschamp as his HC-in waiting came precisely because super arrogant Mack refused to make any changes. Muschamp refused to stay there long because he did not want to deal with Mack resenting him.

The reality is that with Mack, it is all or nothing. I do not think Mack would agree to step aside to become a associate AD. Unless he got named AD for football, and he got to take all hires and decisions, like being an overlord for the program, with bother HC beneath him directly.

Mack is much less 'popular' with coaches than you assume. Mack is likable by most when they are not working with him. But Mack is not able to wheel and deal as a well respected friend the way Saban can (who does not see likable to very many). That's why Mack's beloved pet assistants have never been in top demand by anyone else, and why Mack seems to always have a small list of people he can call on successfully.

This is all why I opposed his being hired.

Interesting. Thanks for your insight.

today is big for a lot of reasons, most of all program psyche…i’m already at “move on” but if they beat carolina up again, i’ll have a hard time believing this program can recover.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
I don't think I would use the word insight.
There is nothing plain bad or just mediocre about this Mack tenure that I did not prepare everyone for before he coached a down of Spring practice. I warned, correctly, about all of it. Mack is always slick Mack. His PR always has been massive and very effective, so in one sense I cannot be too hard on those who swallowed the Mack crap when he was rehired: they simply did not know better. But more than few who post here reacted to my warnings as if I'd told them it really wasn't a tooth fairy who paid for those baby teeth.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
Didn't like the hire when it was first announced but the program is undoubtedly in better shape than when he took over. Won more games in year 1 than the previous 2 seasons, combined. Reinvigorated the fan base, improved the facilities and repaired broken relationships on the recruiting trail. He's also underachieved with the talent he's been able to bring in, both can be true. It's time to call it a career and hand the keys to, hopefully, an up-and-coming coach. Might not seem like it, but these next 2 games are pretty important, IMO. Win both and gain some momentum going into the off-season with fan support and the recruiting trail/transfer portal. Lose both, would be losing 3 in a row, losing Drake and back to 2017/2018 vibes. Regardless, changes have to be made on the defensive side of the ball, I'm begging.

Reactions: tarheel0910
today is big for a lot of reasons, most of all program psyche…i’m already at “move on” but if they beat carolina up again, i’ll have a hard time believing this program can recover.
Recover to what? More 6-8 win seasons?

Mack can sell ice to an Eskimo but as for coaching he has seen his better days for sure. Keep as a recruiting tool but a change is needed.

I don’t think the giant is sleeping
over it dead horse GIF

• Haha
Reactions: johnwalden
It has been said by many analysts, etc., that UNC is a sleeping giant in football just waiting to be awakened by the right circumstances. The program might have needed Mack when he was rehired. Mack can recruit. The talent is there. Mack is good at raising money. And Mack healed a lot of wounds from a fan base that had fallen apart. But that being said, it is time to depart from the walk down memory lane with Mack. Mack is Mack. Two, or three, times a year, Mack is going to lose games he shouldn’t lose. Go ask the folks in Texas. That’s what got him run out of Austin. UNC could be an elite player in football if the administration want that. But do they? Do they want to pay the going rate for a proven head coach, or would they hire the latest “hot guy” from a mid major like they did with Fedora? Mack is in his 70s. Going to be harder to convince recruits that he will be here throughout their careers. Mack says he is coming back. Not sure what can be accomplished by that. Wish Bubba would decide to spend the money, bring in a proven winner, and elevate this program where it could be. I understand the loyalty to basketball. It has always been UNCs safety net. But football is what moves the needle these days.
I think we took too much Ambien or may have slipped into a coma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT