ADVERTISEMENT

Mack Brown Undergoes Successful Knee Replacement Surgery

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
From UNC Communications...

Carolina Head Football Coach Mack Brown Undergoes Successful Knee Replacement Surgery

CHAPEL HILL – University of North Carolina head football coach Mack Brown underwent successful knee replacement surgery on Monday. The procedure on his right knee was performed by Dr. Michael Bolognesi at Duke University Hospital. Bolognesi played football for UNC under Coach Brown from 1989-93.

“The surgery went really well with no issues or complications and he’ll begin a standard rehabilitation program in Chapel Hill immediately,” said Bolognesi. “We don’t expect there to be any need to alter his summer schedule as it relates to team and football operations.”

The procedure was conducted in the morning and doctors had the Hall of Famer walking later in the day. He was discharged from the hospital and sent home on Monday afternoon. Brown is expected to be back at work today.

“First off, how cool is it that one of our former players replaced my knee yesterday,” Brown stated. “We talk about building young men so they can be productive husbands, fathers and citizens. Carolina produces a lot of special people and I’m happy we were able to play a small part in Mike’s development because we counted on him and he, along with the rest of the surgical and anesthetic team, did a tremendous job.

“We had been planning to have this procedure done in February, but after accepting the job here at Carolina that obviously wasn’t going to be possible. We did want to get it taken care of and this window on the calendar made the most sense. I don’t expect this to slow me down at all.”

For up-to-date information on Carolina football, visit GoHeels.com/Football and follow us on Twitter (@TarHeelFootball), Instagram (@tarheelfootball) and Facebook (Facebook.com/TarHeelFootball).

reminds me of a great tar heel who declined an nba career to become a surgeon -- rusty clark.

Reactions: Archer2
Ultra cool that one of his former players performed the surgery. That surgery is in the not too distant future for moi.

Heel well Coach.

Don't forget Steve Hale did the same thing. He's coming up in our 50 states series.
steve was a solid player for us. what i find particularly interesting about rusty clark though is that he was one of the top centers in the country and outplayed future nba all-star bob lanier in the ncaa regional. there weren't many highly skilled 6-11 guys in those days. rusty would have been a very high draft pick, but chose medicine.

steve was a solid player for us. what i find particularly interesting about rusty clark though is that he was one of the top centers in the country and outplayed future nba all-star bob lanier in the ncaa regional. there weren't many highly skilled 6-11 guys in those days. rusty would have been a very high draft pick, but chose medicine.

That would be an interesting story to look back on. I remember reading where he had zero regrets, I would guess especially the difference in money then as opposed to the last 25 years.

That would be an interesting story to look back on. I remember reading where he had zero regrets, I would guess especially the difference in money then as opposed to the last 25 years.
for long term financial success surgery ain't too shabby, plus the nba didn't pay as much in those days as they do now. money's important, but another factor is brains. Rusty was a Morehead Scholar – the top academic scholarship awarded at UNC, so he was understandably drawn to a more intellectually challenging career. the exception to that of course is rhodes scholar and basketball hall of famer bill bradley. but bradley's ambition of politics can be started later in life as a second career -- med school not so much.

for long term financial success surgery ain't too shabby, plus the nba didn't pay as much in those days as they do now. money's important, but another factor is brains. Rusty was a Morehead Scholar – the top academic scholarship awarded at UNC, so he was understandably drawn to a more intellectually challenging career. the exception to that of course is rhodes scholar and basketball hall of famer bill bradley. but bradley's ambition of politics can be started later in life as a second career -- med school not so much.

I'm with you on that. The difference is several years in the league now before going back into medicine would be an option. And yeah, the long term financial reward is obviously amazing. I'm a big fan of trying stuff early in life when you can. Travel, which I think is fantastic education if you do it right, dabble in something professionally for unique experience and to see what you really want to do. It's not for everyone, and for a great athlete who also has going for him what Rusty did maybe a few years in the NBA would have been a truly fascinating experience, or it would have just gotten in the way of him pursuing his real dream. It's pretty clear the latter won out.

Good point with Bradley. Plus, being a well known athlete helped him when he decided to launch his political career. Not sure if you've ever been to a game at Princeton (I covered the Heels there in Dec. 1996), but there's a really neat partial wall honoring Bradley there. Or at least there was back then. Very cool stuff.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Knee replacement seems to be common or even guaranteed for most folks now days. Kudos to the Docs and all other treatment providers and assist persons. Here's wishing Coach Brown and others going through the process a most pleasant recovery!

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT