ADVERTISEMENT

Mack has improved the program

did mack say he wasn’t “firing anyone” or “no expected changes”?
Can't remember the exact words, but it was something like he has the guys he wants.
I guess, in a way, he MAY have left the door open to POSSIBLE changes. I think his words were slightly indistinct, but also indicating, basically, "we're going with who we have." But, he didn't actually SAY that.

I just gotta believe that there are some coaches out there that can really make a difference with the players Brown has managed to bring in to the program.

The last few games have been absolutely abysmal. If you can't get your team up for a bowl game, and a major rival, then you're just not fit for the job. There's no gray area, there. The stats against this defense are absolutely atrocious. I cannot, for the life of me, understand WHY Mack would ever want to keep these people on staff.

Mack needs to stop watching film of us and start watching film of other defenses to see what he's missing.

Reactions: riverswe
He's gonna have extreme injuries if he comes back.
I wouldn't be worried about him being seriously injured. Sam's build is such that, I think, he can withstand what comes at him. He's done it for 3 years. Next season he might have some better Oline players.

I wouldn't be worried about him being seriously injured. Sam's build is such that, I think, he can withstand what comes at him. He's done it for 3 years. Next season he might have some better Oline players.
if he doesn’t leave after being mocked in the first two rounds of the draft, then i’d question his sanity…his walk off the field spoke volumes, unless his back and legs were so sore from carrying that bunch all year.

if he doesn’t leave after being mocked in the first two rounds of the draft, then i’d question his sanity…his walk off the field spoke volumes, unless his back and legs were so sore from carrying that bunch all year.
It's a lot of wishful thinking. But, also... not opting-out makes me think that he's not sure. I don't think he feels comfortable leaving his college career the way it is. I also think that it can help a player- any player- to take a step FORWARD from a place of resolution, not uncertainty.

I don't think it's insanity to want to come back. I think it's unusual, for this day-and-age of "can I get rich fast?", for sure. But, Sam Howell is definitely a unique player.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that I would not be surprised if he came back next season. He said he "has to do a lot of praying." I won't be surprised if he goes pro, I won't be surprised if he stays.

his post-game presser revealed to me that if you can’t do the job; run the ball, protect the passer, or get off the field on 3rd down, you’re being evaluated this off-season.

granted, i haven’t listened to any other presser this year, but is this the norm with him?…fedora was always “look at the film”, so i got sick of that bs.

he mentioned the lack of ability to stop the run, run the ball, and letting the backside lb sack to sam on the 1st drive…to me that’s position coach and player eval.

eta: “if somebody is putting somebody out there that isn’t doing their job…”

Last edited:
his post-game presser revealed to me that if you can’t do the job; run the ball, protect the passer, or get off the field on 3rd down, you’re being evaluated this off-season.

granted, i haven’t listened to any other presser this year, but is this the norm with him?…fedora was always “look at the film”, so i got sick of that bs.

he mentioned the lack of ability to stop the run, run the ball, and letting the backside lb sack to sam on the 1st drive…to me that’s position coach and player eval.

eta: “if somebody is putting somebody out there that isn’t doing their job…”

I haven't watched all of the post game pressers this year but he seemed a little more irritated than usual after a loss. Almost enough to make me think there is hope for him making some changes with the staff but we will see.

I haven't watched all of the post game pressers this year but he seemed a little more irritated than usual after a loss. Almost enough to make me think there is hope for him making some changes with the staff but we will see.
He definitely seemed more irritated. I'd be surprised if he was irritated enough to make changes though. Probably too late at this point. I'm guessing the top coaches have already been hired by someone else.

Reactions: uncboy10
He definitely seemed more irritated. I'd be surprised if he was irritated enough to make changes though. Probably too late at this point. I'm guessing the top coaches have already been hired by someone else.
I hope not. I thought Bateman was going to be a great hire. Now I think he and Searels both need to go, at a minimum. If not, Mack’s seat is going to get red hot next year.

I hope not. I thought Bateman was going to be a great hire. Now I think he and Searels both need to go, at a minimum. If not, Mack’s seat is going to get red hot next year.
The slow starts, the in-game decisions, the toughness, and the concentration (the penalties) unfortunately might not be solved via a new DC and OL coach alone.

On the year it looks like Mack is doing a mediocre to bad coaching job.

I’m always in a group text game thread with about 8 other people and we all agree to a man that changes have to be made and it’s gonna be really hard to get excited and invested in the next season if they’re not made. I have to feel like a lot of other fans feel the same way also. The product on the field this season was embarrassing!

Reactions: Archer2
He sounds pretty pissed here:

But, not the slightest mention, or hint, of anyone on the staff being let-go or replaced.
In Mack's defense it's not in it's not in his character to make an announcement or say something like that directly after a game before speaking with the coaches privately. Now with that said he may very well keep them all. I hope he makes changes because it obvious changes must be made to improve. The preseason hype did not help feels we are having today in anyway.

I would like changes. Probably offensive and defensive coordinators, but if Mack thinks he has 1 or 2 more years left I can see why he would not make any large changes at this point. We are headed in the right direction, but the next coach hire will tell the tale. If Mack can improve the wins the next two years and compete for an ACC title, continue to get a top 10 top 15 recruiting class and get out of the way in the next couple year than Mack Brown was the right man for the job.

You gotta look at both coordinators for lack of preparation in multiple games this year.

Longo unwilling to be creative with the same basic offense every week. The other teams coaches get paid too, lack of diverse formations, motions, and screen usage. This same guy who had AJ Brown and DK Metcalf and only won 7 games. Lacks in game adjustments

I'm not a fan of the 3-4 defense if your olb can't both pass rush and stop the run effectively. The personnel would be better suited in a 4-3, to his credit he does make adjustments throughout the game. JQ getting hurt really changed the versatility on the back end.

The youth on this team is understated, the injuries were an issue, especially Corrales

Reactions: tarheel0910
if we are serious about football, no way bateman can keep his job. he, along with a few assistants need to kick rocks.

I don't disagree. But here is the problem. UNC is not serious about football. If they were Bubba would have fired the whole lot of them when they got back to Chapel Hill last night. Mack included. But Mack presses the flesh well, and schmoozes the deep pocket donors well. Helped heal some of the divide among the fan base from the Fedora era. Recruits well. Those are his strengths. But sometimes you wonder what their plan is during a game. Or if there is one. What we saw this year is what got him run out of Texas on a rail. It won't happen, but it is time to abandon the trip down memory lane and bring out the checkbook, and see just how good UNC football could be.

Last edited:
I don't disagree. But here is the problem. UNC is not serious about football. If they were Bubba would have fired the whole lot of them when they got back to Chapel Hill last night. Mack included. But Mack presses the flesh well, and schmoozes the deep pocket donors well. Helprd heal some of the divide among the fan base from the Fedora era. Recruits well. Those are his strengths. But sometimes you wonder what there plan is during a game. Or if there is one. What we saw this year is what got him run out of Texad on a rail. It won't happen, but it is time to abandon the trip down memory lane and bring out the checkbook, and see just how good UNC football could be.

Reading this “UNC doesn’t care about football” argument over and over again is tiresome. They spent 40M on a practice facility not long after spending like 60M on stadium upgrades. When was the last time UNC spent that kind of money on basketball facilities? Or any other kind of facilities for that matter.

If the university didn’t care about football then fed would still be here.

Well, you have to spend some level if money just to keep up as much as you can these days on facilities. Any Power 5 university really has no choice. But I am more talking about the leadership in the program. Through all of the coaching changes, when was the last time UNC went out and really did all they could do to bring in a coach they had to compete for? Bill Dooley? Everybody loves Mack, but here you sit with a 70 yr old head coach who has a team that underachieved like no other in his 3rd year of leading the program. That 3rd year is usually the year where a program really turns the corner under a new regime. You can have all the facilities you want, but if the coaching isn't up to snuff, it really doesn't matter.

Well, you have to spend some level if money just to keep up as much as you can these days on facilities. Any Power 5 university really has no choice. But I am more talking about the leadership in the program. Through all of the coaching changes, when was the last time UNC went out and really did all they could do to bring in a coach they had to compete for? Bill Dooley? Everybody loves Mack, but here you sit with a 70 yr old head coach who has a team that underachieved like no other in his 3rd year of leading the program. That 3rd year is usually the year where a program really turns the corner under a new regime. You can have all the facilities you want, but if the coaching isn't up to snuff, it really doesn't matter.
You saw the program turn the corner in Mack's first year, IMO. Won 2 more game that year than the last 2 years combined. Took a step back this year, no doubt, but the personnel on both sides are finally opening up for Mack's recruits to take over. Entire OL/DL starters were Fedora guys outside of Murphy (best D linemen). Recruiting is on fire but if they don't win at least 9 games this upcoming season, like Doc Brown said in Back to the Future -- You're going to see some serious shit.

You saw the program turn the corner in Mack's first year, IMO. Won 2 more game that year than the last 2 years combined. Took a step back this year, no doubt, but the personnel on both sides are finally opening up for Mack's recruits to take over. Entire OL/DL starters were Fedora guys outside of Murphy (best D linemen). Recruiting is on fire but if they don't win at least 9 games this upcoming season, like Doc Brown said in Back to the Future -- You're going to see some serious shit.
You're a great salesman for UNC football. "Be happy with 7-6! It's a great legacy. We're almost there!"

You are as high as a kite if you think they're winning 9 games next year.

You're a great salesman for UNC football. "Be happy with 7-6! It's a great legacy. We're almost there!"

You are as high as a kite if you think they're winning 9 games next year.
Nah, just a realist, but appreciate the compliment. He overachieved in year 1, under achieved in year 3, none of that is salesy, IMO.

Never said they're winning 9 games, I said if they don't get close to that number, entire rebuild is coming. Players that haven't performed are exiting the program either via graduation or the portal, leaving room for some of these high ranked kids to get their shot. We'll see what happens.

Yeah... I thought he would be good. Then the walls caved in. Idiots bragging about watches.
I still think if all that doesn't happen, we have at least one ACC championship. He was building something here like Mack in his first go around.

I still think if all that doesn't happen, we have at least one ACC championship. He was building something here like Mack in his first go around.
Yeah...but, it did happen and we're 6-7 and next season looks about the same.

The stadium will be much emptier, assuming fans are allowed in the stadium next year.

Mack Brown and that entire staff should be embarrassed and humiliated for not having that team pumped-up and ready to play their best game... over and over and over. A month to prepare for the Mayo Bowl, and they played like it was a flag-football game for charity. Just lackluster body language and attitude.

The staff lacks the ability to make the team tough. They may be great recruits, but there's no toughness. It's a weak, soft team at every level. There's no visible desire or "want-to" in any player not named Sam Howell.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Actually it's three ways. Our relationship with HS coaches were horrible under Fed, which Mack has improved. He also improved the relationship with donors, which helps get the program what it needs for facilities. The best way to describe what he did was improve the foundation of the house. I don't think this staff has the ability to finish the remodel though.
Perfect analogy. Now Mac has to bring in a staff that can develop players.

Brown isn't making any coaching changes.
I'm willing to bet that he will. Mac knows he doesn't have much time to turn this around. Wouldn't be surprised if Bateman is gone and a few others. Only reason Bateman stays is if Mac can't find a worthy D coordinator or D Coordinator in the making that is available or willing to leave there current program. He's looking I'm sure.

I'm willing to bet that he will. Mac knows he doesn't have much time to turn this around. Wouldn't be surprised if Bateman is gone and a few others. Only reason Bateman stays is if Mac can't find a worthy D coordinator or D Coordinator in the making that is available or willing to leave there current program. He's looking I'm sure.
How much would you like to bet? I'm willing to bet, too.

And, these high-star recruits are just distraction and more hollow promise of "It's going to get better!"

UNC is losing to Ga Tech and FSU and South Carolina... not Clemson, UGA and Bama! The coaches can't develop this talent. That's why Mack Brown is a dismal coach, overall. He can recruit players with lots of stars. Big deal. Are the 2 stars fighting and clawing for every yard? No? Well, don't expect the 5 stars to be any different.

• Haha
Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Clemson beat this team 30-0 at their place, and took their foot off the gas most of the 4th quarter, or it could have been 40 or 50-0. So now you have a USuC team who lost quite a few good players to the portal and opting out, and they took you to the woodshed. I don't care how good of players you recruit, UNC still won't be good, because your coaching and playcalling absolutely sucks.
SoCar had all of 43 yards rushing against Clem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT