ADVERTISEMENT

Mack's & My weight loss: What about yours?

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
I am hoping to create a fun, informative, and helpful thread here about weight loss, using Mack and myself as positive examples.

As some of you know, I started changling my lifestyle several years ago and have successfully dropped around 125 pounds. I say around because I only get weighed a couple of times a year. More on that later. Mack Brown has lost between 35-40 pounds this offseason, which I wrote about in June and then Jacob & AJ did a Daily Drop about it last week.

What I'd like to do here is open this for discussion with you guys, notably those who have done this, are in the process of doing it, or hope to do it. Losing weight isn't easy, and it can be really lonely, as usually we do it as individuals and not in associated groups. So maybe we can become that here in this thread.

I don't venture to OOTB very often, but I'd like to more and more, and see this topic as something that is important to me personally, and it's important if it can fuel success for others.

So, I am here for questions about how I have done this and maintained it over time, about how Mack has done it. And any of you who want to share your success stories, please do. If you are struggling with it or have trouble getting started, let's make this a comfortable place where you can interact with others who understand the experience and can help.

I also think this will be fun. One of the true appreciations I have had in life is taking control of this part of my life. It has totally been on me but about much more, as I'll explain later in thi thread.

We can help keep each other accountable if you want, post meals, exercise regimens, etc.

This is important to me that we build a community in which we can help each other, inspire, motivate, educate, and do so having some fun with it.

And don't be shy, if I can open up about it, you guys can, too.

So, about seven years ago, my doctor asked me if I wanted to see my daughter get married, to which I obviously replied yes, I do. She told me if I didn't get a handle on my lifestyle I wouldn't be there when she walks down the aisle. So, I set out to change my life.

I HATE the word diet. Despise it. I prefer lifestyle because that's what it should be. A diet is temporary, a lifestyle is forever. So, given my many self-created ailments, I began a low carb lifestyle that included exercise.

Now, I used to play basketball (pretty hard core) every day in the offseason until essentially blowing out my knee in 2008. That is when the weight really started to add up. I can no longer run like before, as the issues from knees carrying too much weight and playing football (all three sports) back in the day have taken a toll. So, I walk. Not leisurely, but not speed walking either.

I started doing that in 2016 while also keeping tabs, and over time developed a hell of a routine to where I have walked at least 10,000 steps for 796 consecutive days. Often I do much more than 10,000, and have even reached 30,000. But 10,000 is a daily goal to where it's become mandatory.

And given my schedule and travel during the season, I can be seen walking back and forth in airports as I wait for connecting flights when covering the Tar Heels. Yes, I get plenty of strange looks.

In my neighborhood, I am sure people associate me as that weird walking guy, but I'm cool with that. One little kid asked me a few weeks ago, "Why do you always walk?" I told him to get healthy. And in my mind, to also see my precious Ellie get married some day.

As for my intake, I eat low carb, though I occassionally veer off, not as a reward, but more because I just feel like it. I don't like rewarding with "bad food" because it still celebrates the bad food. Eating can be pleasurable, but it shouldn't be entertainment, especially every day.

My meals when in routine at home are very simple: Twice a day with a lean on proteins and certian veggies and fruit. I also love low carb pita and zero carb small tortillas.

The veggies: Spinach, brocoli, cucumbers, and cabbage (sometimes mushrooms, and onions).

The fruits: Blueberries and strawberries. The other stuff is too high in sugar, though I will have the occasional orange and I do like strawberries. It just depends on the time of year for them.

I drink a lot of water, sometimes Gatorade Zero, and Diet Dr Pepper with dinner. Yes, I do sometimes have Michelob Ultra as well.

This morning I have several Jimmy Dean sausage with American cheese, a low carb pita, and a couple of handfuls of blueberries.

I hope this thread takes off, as I think it can be helpful and also a fun place to hang out.

BTW, here is the link to the piece I wrote about Mack's weight loss:

And here is the Drop Jacob & I did

Reactions: tarheel0910
I’m such a winner, I can’t even lose weight!

Don’t know how old you are @andrew jones but based on the age of your daughter, I’d guess mid-30s. It’s good you’re making these changes now because once you hit 40, things change dramatically. I workout 4-5 times per week and have for most of my adult life. I used to run (as much as 25-30 miles per week) but like you, my knees are shit now so I’m confined mostly to the eliptical machine. I also lift some too but I have a torn labrum in both shoulders so I have to take several days off with that when the pain gets too severe. But before 40, I could literally eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted as long as I stuck to my workout regimen. That is not the case after 40. It’s like a light switch too. You will notice a quick change. I’ve paid a little attention to my diet but not much. I need to do better here. I don’t eat poorly but I don’t don’t eat well. Eating is kind of a pain in the ass to me. It’s just inconvenient. If there was a pill I could take at the beginning of the day that would provide me the fuel I need and keep me from being hungry, I’d sign up for that. I rarely eat for pleasure.

I eat breakfast everyday. It’s the one meal I make sure to get because I feel like I can work off the calories throughout the day. I do a lot of bacon/sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches/biscuits. Mostly homemade. I do like your suggestion of the pita. I think I’ll try that.

The beer is my other issue. I drink at least 1-3 every day but rarely more than 4. Maybe weekends or gatherings I’ll go harder. Still though, if I could stop with those, I’m sure that would help.

I’ve made a pledge to make a significant change to my eating when I turn 50. That’s about 18 months. I might go plant based. I might go no carb. I don’t know yet but it will be pretty radical. I’m in pretty decent shape now and kind of just maintaining for another year and a half. I have pretty low blood pressure even if I am about 20-25 lbs overweight.

Good to see you poasting on OOTB.

Don’t know how old you are @andrew jones but based on the age of your daughter, I’d guess mid-30s. It’s good you’re making these changes now because once you hit 40, things change dramatically. I workout 4-5 times per week and have for most of my adult life. I used to run (as much as 25-30 miles per week) but like you, my knees are shit now so I’m confined mostly to the eliptical machine. I also lift some too but I have a torn labrum in both shoulders so I have to take several days off with that when the pain gets too severe. But before 40, I could literally eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted as long as I stuck to my workout regimen. That is not the case after 40. It’s like a light switch too. You will notice a quick change. I’ve paid a little attention to my diet but not much. I need to do better here. I don’t eat poorly but I don’t don’t eat well. Eating is kind of a pain in the ass to me. It’s just inconvenient. If there was a pill I could take at the beginning of the day that would provide me the fuel I need and keep me from being hungry, I’d sign up for that. I rarely eat for pleasure.

I eat breakfast everyday. It’s the one meal I make sure to get because I feel like I can work off the calories throughout the day. I do a lot of bacon/sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches/biscuits. Mostly homemade. I do like your suggestion of the pita. I think I’ll try that.

The beer is my other issue. I drink at least 1-3 every day but rarely more than 4. Maybe weekends or gatherings I’ll go harder. Still though, if I could stop with those, I’m sure that would help.

I’ve made a pledge to make a significant change to my eating when I turn 50. That’s about 18 months. I might go plant based. I might go no carb. I don’t know yet but it will be pretty radical. I’m in pretty decent shape now and kind of just maintaining for another year and a half. I have pretty low blood pressure even if I am about 20-25 lbs overweight.

I got married later in life and am much older than most dads with kids her age. Figure this, I start my 28th year in sports media next week.

The thing about "diet" is it can be different for everyone. My wife can't do low carb, her body doesn't like it. My body hates me if I eat carbs. More than 60 in a day and I can feel it the wrong way. Yet, the average person eats around 325 carbs a day.

Mack didn't go low carb, he is doing the intermittent fasting. He doesn't eat until around noon and doesn't eat after 8. He has cut down on a lot of sugary stuff, too, especially drinks.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
I’m 53 and have always been into a wellness lifestyle. Like GSD said as you age your have to constantly do more to maintain. I’ve gone to a 16/8 fasting eating pattern. I drink tons of water and some coffee until around 3pm and eat it n an 8 hour block. Usually eat things like almonds/nuts , fruit, veggies, dark chocolate and lean protein but will also eat pizza and other carbs occasionally too. Sucked at first and was always hungry—but my body adjusted and i feel great now and have so much energy.

Reactions: andrew jones
Been working with AJ for years and I have to hear his 10,000 steps stories at every game, road trip and practice :p

For myself, I used to be a college athlete and was then in law enforcement and was always in good shape. While on duty I got hit by a car and messed up my back really bad and was not able to workout like I used too. Then I just got lazy after a few years of not being in a routine.

I am 50 now and started to lose weight a little less than a year ago. Being down on the field during football games I noticed I was really out of shape....running up and down the sidelines with 40 pounds of camera equipment....so i decided it was time. I started doing 45 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week and I have lost almost 40 pounds. I didn't really change my diet too much because, other than rice and bread, I didn't eat too badly. I also stopped the late night snacks and stopped eating past 8pm, unless it was an apple or carrot sticks. It has really helped. All that cardio has really helped and I feel great. The real test (before football starts) is next week when we head to Disney World. Lots of walking in the heat, so I will get an even better gauge then.

I’m 53 and have always been into a wellness lifestyle. Like GSD said as you age your have to constantly do more to maintain. I’ve gone to a 16/8 fasting eating pattern. I drink tons of water and some coffee until around 3pm and eat it n an 8 hour block. Usually eat things like almonds/nuts , fruit, veggies, dark chocolate and lean protein but will also eat pizza and other carbs occasionally too. Sucked at first and was always hungry—but my body adjusted and i feel great now and have so much energy.

I snack a lot on redskin peanuts and almonds. The interesting thing about my weight loss, it is'a all come in my 50s, or most of it has. Cerntainly the biggest jumps. It requires a lot of discipline, but once it became routine, I depended on it for a sense of normalcy.

Reactions: plm
I’m a naturally skinny guy so I’ve never had any real struggles with weight. But I get fired up when I hear about people on long weight loss journeys where they shed big numbers. It’s like seeing an underdog pull off a big upset. When you factor in the extreme addictiveness of junk food, soda, and other sugary drinks and garbage, people are really being setup to fail nutritionally. I’m glad there are more and more resources becoming available to help people explore fitness and nutrition.

I’m 69 and I have back issues(2 surgeries) and issues with both knees(3 surgeries). My last back surgery coincided with the outbreak of Covid. Between the two, I gained 25 pounds. About a year ago, I decided to do something about it. I lost 17 pounds just by limiting carbs, eating smaller portions, and drinking more water. Two months ago, I came to the conclusion that losing the last 7-8 pounds would entail joining a gym and getting significantly more exercise. I’ve found the elliptical machine and biking to be easier on my knees than the treadmill. I’ve lost a couple of more pounds but in lifting weights, I’m starting to gain a little muscle mass. So while I’m looking thinner, the last few pounds are going to be the hardest. I recently quit beer(about 9-10 a week) to see if it will help. The other carb that is my bane is potatoes, love them any way you fix them. I use them as an occasional reward. Congratulations to everyone who is fighting the fight to live a healthier lifestyle.

I’m a naturally skinny guy so I’ve never had any real struggles with weight. But I get fired up when I hear about people on long weight loss journeys where they shed big numbers. It’s like seeing an underdog pull off a big upset. When you factor in the extreme addictiveness of junk food, soda, and other sugary drinks and garbage, people are really being setup to fail nutritionally. I’m glad there are more and more resources becoming available to help people explore fitness and nutrition.
Yeah same situation here, always had a bit of a long skinny-ish build...granted I just turned 40 so @gunslingerdick has me nervous that I may start to see more lbs than I'd like.

My dad had a heart attack when I was 10 and the docs told him he needed to drop 50lbs. My mom went full health mode for the family at that point and now it's second nature to me. Haven't had fast food in years, no soda in maybe 15 years, everything I eat is nonfat or low fat, turkey bacon/sausage over regular...skim milk, low fat cream cheese, zero sugar syrup...stuff that most people find absolutely disgusting I don't mind at all because I grew up with it. I also don't drink during the week at all and have mostly cut out beer when I do drink. Combine that with working out 4-5 times a week and I'm in really good shape fortunately.

That said, weight loss stories are awesome and I'll read and appreciate every poast in this thread. It's an absolute mental battle staying healthy.

I need to lose some weight as well. It's hard for me to get in a new habit/routine, so anytime I try to start something new, I end up stopping pretty quick from my lack of willpower. Getting a dog a few months ago has at least helped me get out of the house some more to go on walks.

I was also one of those naturally tall, thin guys who never worried about what or the amount that I ate because my metabolism just burnt it up and playing bball all the time helped even as I got older as the married father of two. Then life and age finally caught up with me and the climb started. The true tipping point was a knee injury that put a serious dent in my activity level. Before you knew it, I was carrying a ton of extra poundage that wasn't as noticeable to most, my being tall and thin as a base level, but it was there and the mirror and photos showed it. I had gotten fat which was a shocker to anyone that knew me in my younger years. I needed to make some serious changes, but just thought I'd keep on keeping on. Well, God laughed at my lack of plans.

I had a stupid gallstone that blocked my pancreatic duct which resulted in complication after complication after complication. After multiple procedures and lengthy hospitalizations that ended up with 70% of my pancreas being removed, I somehow survived and ultimately recovered. But, due to the time period of literally not eating and being fed nutrition through other means, I obviously shed a ton of weight and dropped to what I was back in early hs years. My restricted diet post recovery meant very little gain and I was horribly thin. But my body adapted and I actually got back to an almost completely normal eating pattern (except not ever again a drop of alcohol as it could set off my mini pancreas - all in all, not that bad as I had been basically a social drinker). Then, less than two years after all that, God altered my path again when I became a Type 1 diabetic and now have a pump 24/7/365 (a likely fallout from messing with the pancreas).

So, the weird thing about being a diabetic (if you take it seriously as one should) is that you become hyper sensitive about every single thing you put in your mouth. Every single bite or swallow. Every single one. It makes you crazy about the amount of carbs you consume since you have to account for that in terms of your insulin uptake. Keeping my bac relatively flat without extreme highs and lows is when I feel the best and you learn to manage things accordingly. The end result for me has been that I am at a great weight for my body type/shape and I maintain it with relative ease because I eat a lower carb, well-rounded diet without the extra volume and empty carbs of things like desserts/alcohol - and I am very active.

It's been a journey, but I always joke with people that going through everything and becoming diabetic has surely saved me a heart attack or two. The bottom line is that the not eating at all method works and you absolutely will lose weight, I just don't highly recommend it, lol.

Reactions: bluetoe and Archer2
I need to lose some weight as well. It's hard for me to get in a new habit/routine, so anytime I try to start something new, I end up stopping pretty quick from my lack of willpower. Getting a dog a few months ago has at least helped me get out of the house some more to go on walks.

The hardest part is the beginning. I can't tell you how many times I started and stopped, promising myself I'd get back at it the next day. I learned that it's amazing how often I could actually fool myself into thinking I had a handle on it and would "absolutely" start the next day, only to repeat it many, many times over.

That's one of the reasons I decided to start this thread. Every struggle people experience with this I am sure I can relate to. Mack inspired it, but also him recognizing what I've done made it okay to post here as well.

The hardest part is the beginning. I can't tell you how many times I started and stopped, promising myself I'd get back at it the next day. I learned that it's amazing how often I could actually fool myself into thinking I had a handle on it and would "absolutely" start the next day, only to repeat it many, many times over.

That's one of the reasons I decided to start this thread. Every struggle people experience with this I am sure I can relate to. Mack inspired it, but also him recognizing what I've done made it okay to post here as well.
This is absolutely the truth. I had no option on my start, but maintaining things is an active, on-going choice. The funny part is that eating properly, working out, whatever, is a habit just like everything else. Once you start, and do it for just a little while, it will become "normal" and part of your daily routine. You've just got to get to that point.

This is absolutely the truth. I had no option on my start, but maintaining things is an active, on-going choice. The funny part is that eating properly, working out, whatever, is a habit just like everything else. Once you start, and do it for just a little while, it will become "normal" and part of your daily routine. You've just got to get to that point.

So, so, so true. I feel bad when I eat the wrong thing. I haven't missed my steps goal since May 11, 2021, so I am not sure what that feels like. But there have been days it's taken until the last couple of hours before midnight before getting in my steps, and I always felt better after doing it.

Been working with AJ for years and I have to hear his 10,000 steps stories at every game, road trip and practice :p

For myself, I used to be a college athlete and was then in law enforcement and was always in good shape. While on duty I got hit by a car and messed up my back really bad and was not able to workout like I used too. Then I just got lazy after a few years of not being in a routine.

I am 50 now and started to lose weight a little less than a year ago. Being down on the field during football games I noticed I was really out of shape....running up and down the sidelines with 40 pounds of camera equipment....so i decided it was time. I started doing 45 minutes of cardio 4-5 times a week and I have lost almost 40 pounds. I didn't really change my diet too much because, other than rice and bread, I didn't eat too badly. I also stopped the late night snacks and stopped eating past 8pm, unless it was an apple or carrot sticks. It has really helped. All that cardio has really helped and I feel great. The real test (before football starts) is next week when we head to Disney World. Lots of walking in the heat, so I will get an even better gauge then.

Yes I replied to my own post lol

Also very key was cutting out that damn Mt Dew. That stuff is awful, but also amazing. lol

• Haha
Reactions: gregkb14

One thing that's made it harder for me is working from home. Working from home has been great for the most part, but unfortunately it makes it easy to stop by the kitchen when I walk by and just get a little something to nibble on. Might have to just put up a barricade while I'm working.

One thing that's made it harder for me is working from home. Working from home has been great for the most part, but unfortunately it makes it easy to stop by the kitchen when I walk by and just get a little something to nibble on. Might have to just put up a barricade while I'm working.
It's so true.

It also decreases just the amount of steps you take, at least up here. When I commuted into NYC I walked 1.3 miles a day from the train to my office and vice versa. That no longer happens. Like you, I take my dog for a half mile walk during the day to at least get some activity going before I go to the gym at night.

I don't understand people who can work on those treadmills that have a desk on them. Psychopaths.

Same for me. I work from home and it’s been difficult from that standpoint

Reactions: tarheel0910
I've been at software companies which offer 10x the junk food i keep at home. If I see it, I eat it. Those places had snapple, oreos, sun chips, m&ms, skittles... then every gotdamn day someone has a birthday meaning cupcakes and cake and shit.

I lost a little wait when I went WFH years ago.

Injuries seem to be slowing some people, but my prob has been the kiddo. Gained ten pounds since he was born.

I was also one of those naturally tall, thin guys who never worried about what or the amount that I ate because my metabolism just burnt it up and playing bball all the time helped even as I got older as the married father of two. Then life and age finally caught up with me and the climb started. The true tipping point was a knee injury that put a serious dent in my activity level. Before you knew it, I was carrying a ton of extra poundage that wasn't as noticeable to most, my being tall and thin as a base level, but it was there and the mirror and photos showed it. I had gotten fat which was a shocker to anyone that knew me in my younger years. I needed to make some serious changes, but just thought I'd keep on keeping on. Well, God laughed at my lack of plans.

I had a stupid gallstone that blocked my pancreatic duct which resulted in complication after complication after complication. After multiple procedures and lengthy hospitalizations that ended up with 70% of my pancreas being removed, I somehow survived and ultimately recovered. But, due to the time period of literally not eating and being fed nutrition through other means, I obviously shed a ton of weight and dropped to what I was back in early hs years. My restricted diet post recovery meant very little gain and I was horribly thin. But my body adapted and I actually got back to an almost completely normal eating pattern (except not ever again a drop of alcohol as it could set off my mini pancreas - all in all, not that bad as I had been basically a social drinker). Then, less than two years after all that, God altered my path again when I became a Type 1 diabetic and now have a pump 24/7/365 (a likely fallout from messing with the pancreas).

So, the weird thing about being a diabetic (if you take it seriously as one should) is that you become hyper sensitive about every single thing you put in your mouth. Every single bite or swallow. Every single one. It makes you crazy about the amount of carbs you consume since you have to account for that in terms of your insulin uptake. Keeping my bac relatively flat without extreme highs and lows is when I feel the best and you learn to manage things accordingly. The end result for me has been that I am at a great weight for my body type/shape and I maintain it with relative ease because I eat a lower carb, well-rounded diet without the extra volume and empty carbs of things like desserts/alcohol - and I am very active.

It's been a journey, but I always joke with people that going through everything and becoming diabetic has surely saved me a heart attack or two. The bottom line is that the not eating at all method works and you absolutely will lose weight, I just don't highly recommend it, lol.
The lifestyle change sounds forced, but sounds like you aren't missing a beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: pooponduke
Man this is great timing. I turn 49 in a couple of months and I have challenged myself to lose 50 before 50. I have 14 months. How's it going so far you ask..... the wrong direction :(. Struggling to get started. Hope this thread helps!

first let me say, congratulations @andrew jones on your journey…well done!

i’m 51 and lift three days a week, run three days a week, with one is day for recovery either with yoga or just stretching…also walk two miles everyday with the dog so i hear ya @andrew jones about steps…i didn’t realize how important post-workout stretching is until about three years ago…that literally made recovery and gains(strength & pr’s)much more frequent…in my 20’s and 30’s i never stretched or did any recovery.

i was at a super bowl party about seven years ago and all they had was pizza and wings…and yeah, that’s not abnormal or crazy, but something happened in my head and i just went pescatarian from that point forward…it hasn’t been a struggle because i love fish and seafood so much…i’ve always been lean so it was never a weight issue…i stay between 165 & 170 during the year depending on the season and the activity…it’s been more about eating healthy to stay healthy…i experiment with small fasts(still learning), eat plenty of foods containing magnesium, eat fruits at least twice a day, i try to drink 60-80 ounces of water a day, and limit-zero added sugars.

the last five years i can say i’m definitely the most fit and healthiest i’ve been, maybe ever…covid also allowed us to cook, to especially learn how to really cook, more often.

I like this slow troll method from the Admins to make OOTB a more pleasant place. Good luck with that endeavor LOL

As for me, I had a very high motor. Never was allowed to play sports due to my area being very rural when I was young. I begged to play baseball, but my dad saw no use in sports, so he made me work. I stayed extremely active up to my mid 20's. Marriage does tend to slow you some. I blew my back out at around 30. I still worked hard, grinding through pain everyday of my life for well over a decade. When it finally effected my ability to walk, stand, or bend over, I finally had a small back surgery to clean the injured area. 6weeks of recovery was hell, due to me always being in motion. As soon as the doc gave me the all clear, went back at full force. Within 2 months my back was far worse than before, so I scheduled for spinal fusion. Best decision every. I followed the recommendation for recovery, and 18 months later, I was right as rain. My range of motion is skewed due to learned overcompensation of my body while being injured for so many years. I have arthritis in my day that I still deal with

As for weight, I was 175 when I married. I gained fairly quick. My body hides weight well. I never was concerned with diet and exercise till I was recovering from fusion surgery. My max weight was 280. I struggle with losing weight. I followed the fast metabolism diet for a few months and lost weight at a good clip.
My issues stem from slower metabolism, nagging pains, and diet intake.
I'm a builder by trade. Sitting in a vehicle all day,or a desk and not physically working has taken a toll on me. Finding the time and motivation to exercise is hard. I'm also a full time Pastor with my church, so I have no free time. Stress is a hugh factor in weight loss. I have been maintaining a low card higher protein diet for a couple of months now. Finding a balance for me is difficult. I am losing weight, but not as fast as I would like. Just simply feeling good and not being in pain would benefit me as much or more than the weight loss

I like this slow troll method from the Admins to make OOTB a more pleasant place. Good luck with that endeavor LOL

As for me, I had a very high motor. Never was allowed to play sports due to my area being very rural when I was young. I begged to play baseball, but my dad saw no use in sports, so he made me work. I stayed extremely active up to my mid 20's. Marriage does tend to slow you some. I blew my back out at around 30. I still worked hard, grinding through pain everyday of my life for well over a decade. When it finally effected my ability to walk, stand, or bend over, I finally had a small back surgery to clean the injured area. 6weeks of recovery was hell, due to me always being in motion. As soon as the doc gave me the all clear, went back at full force. Within 2 months my back was far worse than before, so I scheduled for spinal fusion. Best decision every. I followed the recommendation for recovery, and 18 months later, I was right as rain. My range of motion is skewed due to learned overcompensation of my body while being injured for so many years. I have arthritis in my day that I still deal with

As for weight, I was 175 when I married. I gained fairly quick. My body hides weight well. I never was concerned with diet and exercise till I was recovering from fusion surgery. My max weight was 280. I struggle with losing weight. I followed the fast metabolism diet for a few months and lost weight at a good clip.
My issues stem from slower metabolism, nagging pains, and diet intake.
I'm a builder by trade. Sitting in a vehicle all day,or a desk and not physically working has taken a toll on me. Finding the time and motivation to exercise is hard. I'm also a full time Pastor with my church, so I have no free time. Stress is a hugh factor in weight loss. I have been maintaining a low card higher protein diet for a couple of months now. Finding a balance for me is difficult. I am losing weight, but not as fast as I would like. Just simply feeling good and not being in pain would benefit me as much or more than the weight loss
Love the shout out on redirecting OOTB. Windmills, lol.

You made the statement of "I am losing weight, but not as fast as I would like." Think that's a common refrain, but, and it's a big one, you are probably losing it just as fast or faster than when you gained it. Most of us want it to just drip off, but that's just not realistic and truth is that it's much healthier in the long run and likely to have long term success with the steady loss trajectory. And, don't know how much it'll apply to your specifics, but I've never spoken with anyone who dropped weight that didn't generally feel better and lessen their pain situation. Keep up the journey.

Love the shout out on redirecting OOTB. Windmills, lol.

You made the statement of "I am losing weight, but not as fast as I would like." Think that's a common refrain, but, and it's a big one, you are probably losing it just as fast or faster than when you gained it. Most of us want it to just drip off, but that's just not realistic and truth is that it's much healthier in the long run and likely to have long term success with the steady loss trajectory. And, don't know how much it'll apply to your specifics, but I've never spoken with anyone who dropped weight that didn't generally feel better and lessen their pain situation. Keep up the journey.
Feeling better is given. Putting a 10lb bag of sugar in a fanny pack and spending a day with it will reveal what your body is moving for that 10lbs. Carry a 50lb sack of concrete in that same senerio. For me, 50lb weight lose to get to 210 would be ideal. I have not made a workout regimen, but would love to have a lower body fat percentage at 210lbs. Just dropping that much weight will make me look sick without some better form of tone. Thankfully, my frame can handle weight. Just not 260-270lbs. I ask people to guess my weight. They always say in the 220 range.

Reactions: Archer2
Props and congratulations to all who are trying to be conscientious about your health.

I started an exercise regimen in about 1999-ish. I was never overweight at all. Always pretty skinny. But, I started exercising just for the overall "feeling better" aspect. Biking, jogging, rollerblading, then kayaking. I've started walking a lot now. Walking is a pretty good little workout. After doing the same stuff for a long time, I guess you develop a tolerance. I can ride my bike for 20 miles and not really feel it at all the next day. Might start a yoga class with a friend who teaches it. If I go somewhere for more than 3-4 days, I get antsy because I'm not doing some kind of exercising.

I hike 3-4 times a year up on Table Rock and Pinnacle Mountain.

I stopped drinking alcohol in 1988, so I haven't had to deal with that contributing to weight gain in older years. I can still wear my clothes from 1988, if I had them!

If I go somewhere for more than 3-4 days, I get antsy because I'm not doing some kind of exercising.
Years ago, I had a roommate who's GF was seriously Jekll and Hyde depending on workout status. She happened to be a pretty dedicated runner, so it wasn't normally an issue. However, there were certain times she'd be over and after just a minute or two, someone would invariably ask her if she'd had her run that day. 99% of the time the answer was no and we'd beg her to hit the bricks. After a few miles and a shower, she was a totally different person.

You've been through a lot. I'm praying you'll have a long and prosperous life.
new one on me. You have a church and all like that?
It's more a school of thought.

Between June 6 and Sept 11, I lost 27 pounds. My summer job had a lot to do with. Plus, very little sugar in my diet. Once in a while, I grab a candy bar at a convenience store. I do use quite a bit of Splenda or Sweet and Low. My downfall is bread. I can eat bread constantly. When I was much younger, I could down 1/2 loaf at one sitting. There a very few types of bread I don't like. Carbs make it very difficult to lose weight. It is my weakness.

About 2 miles from my house is a bakery. Saturdays only, they make Cheese Bread. OMG! Its is incredible. I could eat an entire loaf within 2 hours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT