ADVERTISEMENT

Marquee women's game matchups

dtodd4475

Hall of Famer
Jul 17, 2005
It's good to see not one but two monster elite eight matchups for the women's game. USC/UConn and Iowa/LSU have as much buzz as the men's elite 8 games. March Madness !!!

Reactions: tarheelinfl
Clark with 34 pts and a bunch of assists....IA lead s by 8 with 7 minutes left....update 5+ minutes left Clark drains a monster 3 from NJ...37 pts...she is the only female basketball player I would pay to see play...a fun fun player to watch

Last edited:
What happened to Van Lith is amazing. She was a DAWG at Louisville, a beast. Really struggled, no idea what has gone down at LSU, but a shell of what she was/is. Crazy

Clark with 34 pts and a bunch of assists....IA lead s by 8 with 7 minutes left....update 5+ minutes left Clark drains a monster 3 from NJ...37 pts...she is the only female basketball player I would pay to see play...a fun fun player to watch
Watch the next one. The two best WNBA talents may be in that game. No slight to Caitlin she is special. Ju Ju and Paige.

Clark finishes with 41 pts 7 rebs 12 assists...9 of 20 from 3 pt land...some really deep..she is a superb ballhandler and great passer...IA wins by 7

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
What happened to Van Lith is amazing. She was a DAWG at Louisville, a beast. Really struggled, no idea what has gone down at LSU, but a shell of what she was/is. Crazy

Based on some of the reactions I saw, I don't think she's as accepted by her teammates as she should be (I mean, she wears the same uniform). Not going to speculate, just going to leave it at that.

Based on some of the reactions I saw, I don't think she's as accepted by her teammates as she should be (I mean, she wears the same uniform). Not going to speculate, just going to leave it at that.
Yep Reese demands the ball and pouts when she doesn’t get it.

Watch the next one. The two best WNBA talents may be in that game. No slight to Caitlin she is special. Ju Ju and Paige.

Both can play for sure, but I'd have a hard time believing either one would be taken over Clark in the WNBA Draft, or have a better career for that matter. But granted, you are more connected to things like this than I am, so I'd listen to your argument.

Both can play for sure, but I'd have a hard time believing either one would be taken over Clark in the WNBA Draft, or have a better career for that matter. But granted, you are more connected to things like this than I am, so I'd listen to your argument.
No way taken above, just for the market value if nothing else. Caitlin is incredible, and a no brainer. Ju Ju is still only 18 and built for it already, probably the better pick, but ZERO chance, ZERO that Clark is not going to the Fever. Paige is recovering from the knee, I hope she gets back. Another crazy talent, but significantly under those two. Caitlin is SPECIAL!

Maybe a Pete Maravich/ LeBron James type who would you draft for the league type dynamic ?

IMG-5454.jpg

I watched a good deal of that game, and I concur it was worth seeing if nothing else just to see Clark's shooting range. I think she ended up with nine threes. Great player.

One enjoyable thing about watching the women...of course they don't match the men in speed, strength, athleticism (debateable), but the game itself hasn't degraded to hand-to-hand combat either.

I watched the last 5 minutes of the Iowa/LSU game. I'm sorry, but it was brutal. Women's sports are difficult to watch. Painful at times. What I noticed about last night's game was how many of the girls hit the floor in the 5 minutes I watched. And from little or no contact. They just fell down.

• Wow
Reactions: tarheelinfl
I watched the last 5 minutes of the Iowa/LSU game. I'm sorry, but it was brutal. Women's sports are difficult to watch. Painful at times. What I noticed about last night's game was how many of the girls hit the floor in the 5 minutes I watched. And from little or no contact. They just fell down.
Coach K and Coach Scheyer after reading this - 'hold my beer'

like watching the last few minutes of the Purdue Floppermakers game? They made dook look like pros at flopping...which of course they are.

like watching the last few minutes of the Purdue Floppermakers game? They made dook look like pros at flopping...which of course they are.

Sort of like that. Yes, while the men's game has some flopping, it's just that; flopping. The women weren't flopping. They were clumsily falling about as if they had that inner ear disorder another poaster was talking about in the Cadeau is deaf thread.

I don’t know if criticizing women’s coaches is a thing… but how Kim Mulkey just let Caitlin Clark go 1-on-1 against whichever guard was in the game was mind boggling.

I watched a little bit of it too. There is a lot of flailing and ending up on the floor. And while certain players can run adequately in open floor, none seem conditioned at level of college (let alone pro) men in basketball or any sport.

The girls can be decent shooters and passers with the smaller ball. But what stands out to me is how flat footed the girls game is. I know some girls can dunk. But on rebounding. blocking shots, defending - there seems to be almost no jumping or lateral quickness. In rebounding sure they box out but few if any girls out jump the others for a rebound. A big part re men’s larger muscle build in legs and core especially

I don’t know if criticizing women’s coaches is a thing… but how Kim Mulkey just let Caitlin Clark go 1-on-1 against whichever guard was in the game was mind boggling.
As little as I watch - a lot of the women’s coaches I’ve seen seem to be head cases. Iowas coach seemed normal. But lsu’s coach and s car’s etc seem like wannabe men’s coaches with a lot of schtick and pretentiousness and look at me drama.

I'm intrigued to see the ratings. The 4 men's elite 8 games averaged a tad over 10 million viewers, 10.08, I think I read. With the buzz before and after, I think the Iowa/LSU women's game will be close to that in viewers, even though it was on a Monday night, instead of a Saturday or Sunday.

I watched a little bit of it too. There is a lot of flailing and ending up on the floor. And while certain players can run adequately in open floor, none seem conditioned at level of college (let alone pro) men in basketball or any sport.

The girls can be decent shooters and passers with the smaller ball. But what stands out to me is how flat footed the girls game is. I know some girls can dunk. But on rebounding. blocking shots, defending - there seems to be almost no jumping or lateral quickness. In rebounding sure they box out but few if any girls out jump the others for a rebound. A big part re men’s larger muscle build in legs and core especially

Agree. I noticed that too. Also noticed how wild some rebounds are. Like, the girls are fighting for position under the basket and the ball often caroms back out to the 3 line or even funnier, out of bounds. Saw a lot of that. Maybe that has something to do with the weight of the ball? I do t know but it often makes a girl’s game look like the Keystone Cops.

Reactions: Heelicious
I'm intrigued to see the ratings. The 4 men's elite 8 games averaged a tad over 10 million viewers, 10.08, I think I read. With the buzz before and after, I think the Iowa/LSU women's game will be close to that in viewers, even though it was on a Monday night, instead of a Saturday or Sunday.

Monday programming typically get higher ratings than weekend nights.

Also, lol at those asking if Caitlin could play in the NBA. Where do these people come from?
Answer: they come from the country Get Clickopia. Any person who thinks the best women’s basketball player could compete/ start on a G Leauge team let alone nba is either being wholly dishonest or is an unbelievable misinformed moron. Watch the players on the worst nba team - which are still in the top 1% of players who ever played in college.

If the pros didn’t gimmick it up and make concessions, Caitlin Clark would never get a shot off in the nba unless it was some half court shot, unguarded.

And how / why would she get in the game over the other 12 on that nba team who are clearly better all around than her.

And none of this is to degrade Clark. It is insulting to her IMO. She is one of the greatest among her peer group - other women basketball players. And that is more than enough. This stupid agenda to try to pretend there are no differences between men and women in highly athletic sports - is head in the sand - delusion - trying to reprogram biology and human physiology- but why? Never will happen. Never has.

Same goes for the forcing of people to take as much interest in women’s sports as men’s (basketball, soccer, hockey). The more athletic men’s games are just better to watch. It’s not sexist it’s human nature.

I think you can sure argue for other sports of women competing against women can be as exciting to watch as men’s - like swimming, triathlon, track, etc.

Reactions: bluetoe
One other thing about the men’s nba players vs men’s or women’s college or women’s nba. My son told me about some article or speech coach calipari - who has coached or placed a lot of great athletes in men’s college or nba - has said “young men in college can be good players and they may think they are in nba shape. But once they get to the nba their eyes are quickly opened regarding how physically demanding the nba is from a standpoint of being able to do a lot of high intensity, high heart rate, high aerobic capacity work say 40 minutes of game time 70 + games
Per year not counting preseason or playoffs- against big strong guys contacting you often with few fouls called.”

I think it was Karl Anthony Towns and Anthony Davis who pointed out what a massive leap up the nba game is compared to college. Even for great college men players.

The smaller heart, lungs, muscle of women in this regard - and the aerobic demands - make nba a no go for any woman.

Whoa, 12.3 million viewers for Iowa/LSU. By comparison Purdue/Tennesee had 10.3 million. Dook/NC State the largest viewed game, 15.1 million.

I thought it would be good, but dang, not that massive.

I remember reading a quote from John Wooden (remember him) that he liked watching the women's game
over the men's, better fundamentals.
I like watching ladies golf because the form and mechanics are a pleasure to see. On television, you don't get a real sense of how less powerful their swings are so you're not missing much there.

Answer: they come from the country Get Clickopia. Any person who thinks the best women’s basketball player could compete/ start on a G Leauge team let alone nba is either being wholly dishonest or is an unbelievable misinformed moron. Watch the players on the worst nba team - which are still in the top 1% of players who ever played in college.

If the pros didn’t gimmick it up and make concessions, Caitlin Clark would never get a shot off in the nba unless it was some half court shot, unguarded.

And how / why would she get in the game over the other 12 on that nba team who are clearly better all around than her.

And none of this is to degrade Clark. It is insulting to her IMO. She is one of the greatest among her peer group - other women basketball players. And that is more than enough. This stupid agenda to try to pretend there are no differences between men and women in highly athletic sports - is head in the sand - delusion - trying to reprogram biology and human physiology- but why? Never will happen. Never has.

Same goes for the forcing of people to take as much interest in women’s sports as men’s (basketball, soccer, hockey). The more athletic men’s games are just better to watch. It’s not sexist it’s human nature.

I think you can sure argue for other sports of women competing against women can be as exciting to watch as men’s - like swimming, triathlon, track, etc.

Yeah, no disrespect to CC because obviously she’s an incredible woman’s basketball player. Possibly the best there’s ever been. Props. But she would not play on a highly competitive boys high school state championship team.

I like watching ladies golf because the form and mechanics are a pleasure to see. On television, you don't get a real sense of how less powerful their swings are so you're not missing much there.

I agree. I can do women’s golf. It’s just more realistic for me. I can also do women’s tennis. And volleyball. Oh yeah, volleyball. Those outfits are nice.

• Haha
Yeah, no disrespect to CC because obviously she’s an incredible woman’s basketball player. Possibly the best there’s ever been. Props. But she would not play on a highly competitive boys high school state championship team.

I agree. I can do women’s golf. It’s just more realistic for me. I can also do women’s tennis. And volleyball. Oh yeah, volleyball. Those outfits are nice.
if they did put her (CC) on an NBA team and gave her the space (gimmick it up like @Heelicious says), I think she would hit a decent number of threes.

If you like the outfits, watch some women's gymnastics and diving. But get past the outfits and see the amazing form and athletic ability. It's often just jaw-dropping. In general I wouldn't walk across the street to watch women's sports, but I might pony up for the gymnastics.

if they did put her (CC) on an NBA team and gave her the space (gimmick it up like @Heelicious says), I think she would hit a decent number of threes.

If you like the outfits, watch some women's gymnastics and diving. But get past the outfits and see the amazing form and athletic ability. It's often just jaw-dropping. In general I wouldn't walk across the street to watch women's sports, but I might pony up for the gymnastics.

Yeah, I know gymnastics. My wife is a former gymnast. Other than the floor exercises, I find most gymnastics boring.

Diving is a hard no. Just boring AF. Unless it’s into a pool of sharks or something. That would spice it up some.

• Haha
One of my favorite clips ever. When Britney Griner said she could beat DeMarcus Cousins 1-on-1 during the Rio Olympics.

Yeah, I know gymnastics. My wife is a former gymnast. Other than the floor exercises, I find most gymnastics boring.

Diving is a hard no. Just boring AF. Unless it’s into a pool of sharks or something. That would spice it up some.
cliff diving (usually men's) is cool to watch and it isn't into a pool of sharks but it's high up enough that a wrong move could be just as fatal. The cojones and confidence it takes is incomprehensible to me.

In women's gymnastics, the floor exercises are what bores me. The other stuff can be amazing.

One of my favorite clips ever. When Britney Griner said she could beat DeMarcus Cousins 1-on-1 during the Rio Olympics.

Well - Brit’s a guy, so…

Lucky guy - gymnast as a wife! 😀 Not sure if you’re a Seinfeld fan but there is a pretty funny one about Jerry dating a gymnast and fantasies of gymnasts “capabilities” during sex etc.

Not a fan of figure skating either but the women there have fine bodies too and lovely outfits as well.

My son is a pretty darn good swimmer at a d3 college. As a freshman this year He scored a lot of points for his team who won their conference in a blowout.

During his finals this guy who must have been 75+ years old held the US flag at the top of a high dive for a national anthem. Must have been 30+ feet up.

After the anthem was done he hands off the flag and does a feet first dive off the high dive. Nobody in the big crowd saw that coming and we all went bananas. And old guy showing people what’s up. Big kahunas.

That’s about the only diving I’m interested in. The rest of diving is boring af and grinds otherwise exciting imo swim meets to a halt.

Last edited:
Lucky guy - gymnast as a wife! 😀 Not sure if you’re a Seinfeld fan but there is a pretty funny one about Jerry dating a gymnast and fantasies of gymnasts “capabilities” during sex etc.
probably what he means by 'floor exercises'.

Not a fan of figure skating either but the women there have fine bodies too and lovely outfits as well.
the finest female rear ends on the planet belong to *female figure skaters, and I pray that it's going to be a long time before somebody gripes about the sexist outfits that show them off so well.

*Sign of the times that I have to point out that I'm referring to female figure skaters.

• Haha
The women's final easily out drew the men's final, even with the men's viewership increasing this year. That is pretty amazing.

The men got just under 15 million to tune in, while just under 19 million watched the ladies final.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT