ADVERTISEMENT

Meeks and Berry can be the difference makers this season

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
We all pretty much know what Paige, Johnson and Jackson can do offensively but for UNC to go far in March others will have to contribute greatly as well

Everyone I know hopes with a year under his belt and not nursing a injury that Berry might explode into a superstar and be the sparkplug that ignites the running game that Coach Williams wants and if he can consistently drain some outside shots he might become unguardable.

Meeks with another summer in the gym this time to work on his explosioness and stamina might become the Wesley Unseld clone that everyone was hoping would emerge since the Louisville game as a freshman.

Agree or disagree if these two guys step up and perform to their potental UNC will be a hard out for everyone and everybody.

I feel confident we will get consistently good production from Justin, Marcus, and Brice. If Kennedy and Joel can give us the same consistent play, we will indeed be a very good team.

TBS, for a team that looked so good at times last year, we also looked very average at other times. We simply don't have the level of talent that allows a team to win with their "B game", as d00k and UK were able to do last year. Those teams played up and down just like we did but their uber talent allowed them to win when they weren't clicking on all cylinders. We just can't do that. If we don't "bring it" every game, we can be beaten by just about any team. Conversely, we are capable of beating anyone if we play our "A game".

Experience and chemistry should be the strengths of our team. Let's hope they can offset our lack of top shelf talent.

I feel confident we will get consistently good production from Justin, Marcus, and Brice. If Kennedy and Joel can give us the same consistent play, we will indeed be a very good team.

TBS, for a team that looked so good at times last year, we also looked very average at other times. We simply don't have the level of talent that allows a team to win with their "B game", as d00k and UK were able to do last year. Those teams played up and down just like we did but their uber talent allowed them to win when they weren't clicking on all cylinders. We just can't do that. If we don't "bring it" every game, we can be beaten by just about any team. Conversely, we are capable of beating anyone if we play our "A game".

Experience and chemistry should be the strengths of our team. Let's hope they can offset our lack of top shelf talent.
Archer, I'm gonna quibble only on one point: The issue last season wasn't so much talent as using it (or failure to utilize it). The awkward Tokoto situation, playing too many minutes with only one true Guard, and the injuries to Berry and Pinson all were factors.

You later used the word "chemistry" and I think that was actually the biggest deficit. The talent is there. Provided we don't get bitten by the injury bug, and provided Roy makes the ONLY right call with our starting lineup and puts the ball in Joel Berry's extremely capable hands, well then that chemistry issue should be long gone.

Archer, I'm gonna quibble only on one point: The issue last season wasn't so much talent as using it (or failure to utilize it). The awkward Tokoto situation, playing too many minutes with only one true Guard, and the injuries to Berry and Pinson all were factors.

You later used the word "chemistry" and I think that was actually the biggest deficit. The talent is there. Provided we don't get bitten by the injury bug, and provided Roy makes the ONLY right call with our starting lineup and puts the ball in Joel Berry's extremely capable hands, well then that chemistry issue should be long gone.

I agree that chemistry issues appeared to arise during the latter part of the season, particularly with regards to JP's perception of how he was being used(or not used). I think that uncertainty will be gone this year and roles will be better defined. That is why I think chemistry will be improved, indeed it should be a strength IMO. And there's no doubt the injury bug played a role as well but I've become resigned to that happening just about every year.

I agree that JOel, as differentiated from big JoEL, should be handed the reins to the team and let's see what he's got. I'm hoping we'll see just that. I like Nate, Theo, and Isaiah getting regular minutes with big JoEL, Kenny, and Luke playing as merited. That's a pretty solid 10.

I am pretty sure Roy will have the right guy at PG regardless of opinions of any internet posters. He will assess them in practice and dole out time accordingly as earned.

And the touble with quibbles is I find a way to quibble with the quibble! I had to find a way to work in an old Star Trek title in once I read your use of the word quibble (The touble with tribles, was the actual title :).

But my quibble with your quibble is that for me I would have to add in what ever it was that happened to Meeks just after Christmas. I am not sure if it was all sickness or injury or both but something happened with Meeks and to my view was not nearly the same level player he was prior to Christmas.

It was reported to be nothing more than the same flu bug that did hit the team around Christmas but I think we all know it was more than just the same flu bug some of the other players got, Berry for example. No one seems to want to discuss this, no discussions at all in any of the post conferences. I have heard whispers of Mono, pnenumonia, but nothing more than whispers that seemed more speculation than hard fact. But I do strong believe it was more than just the ordinary flu and what ever it was in my view very clearly effect Meeks stamina and play for the rest of last season.

So yes I agree, Meeks play is absolutely vital and I do hesitate right now to believe it will be to the level many seem to expect. Of course my feeling on Joel Berry is well known so no need for me to repeat that. I would also add Hicks in as being just as key as Meeks and Joel.

With Hicks, the will is there, not sure the belief in his own ability and ability to use refined skill are. To me Hicks has to take his game to that next level now. I don't watch those scrimmages and get as excited as some, I need to see him show consistency to bring it every game, I need to see that against real game intensity. Hicks is vital because we all know brice & meeks will find foul trouble and we need that 3rd front court guy to really come in and we not see a dramatic drop off in production. Looks like Hicks has added some more weight, good to see, he really needed that, would love to see him catch & shoot at least from mid range more consistently.

I agree with the theory that Berry can be the difference maker next year; but, I'm not sold on putting Meeks in the same category. Don't get me wrong, I like Kennedy and think he is vital to our success. I just think he has already come close to his ceiling. He has a big body and great hands; but, he is not an explosive athlete. As far as a difference maker, Hicks has the potential. He is an explosive athlete. If he can consistently drain mid range jump shots, this will draw opponents out which will allow him to utilize his superior athletic skills. I don't see him starting this season; but, he could be the difference maker off the bench.

"Hicks has to take his game to that next level now. I don't watch those scrimmages and get as excited as some, I need to see him show consistency to bring it every game, I need to see that against real game intensity. Hicks is vital because we all know brice & meeks will find foul trouble and we need that 3rd front court guy to really come in and we not see a dramatic drop off in production. Looks like Hicks has added some more weight, good to see, he really needed that, would love to see him catch & shoot at least from mid range more consistently."

And the touble with quibbles is I find a way to quibble with the quibble! I had to find a way to work in an old Star Trek title in once I read your use of the word quibble (The touble with tribles, was the actual title :).

But my quibble with your quibble is that for me I would have to add in what ever it was that happened to Meeks just after Christmas. I am not sure if it was all sickness or injury or both but something happened with Meeks and to my view was not nearly the same level player he was prior to Christmas.

It was reported to be nothing more than the same flu bug that did hit the team around Christmas but I think we all know it was more than just the same flu bug some of the other players got, Berry for example. No one seems to want to discuss this, no discussions at all in any of the post conferences. I have heard whispers of Mono, pnenumonia, but nothing more than whispers that seemed more speculation than hard fact. But I do strong believe it was more than just the ordinary flu and what ever it was in my view very clearly effect Meeks stamina and play for the rest of last season.

So yes I agree, Meeks play is absolutely vital and I do hesitate right now to believe it will be to the level many seem to expect. Of course my feeling on Joel Berry is well known so no need for me to repeat that. I would also add Hicks in as being just as key as Meeks and Joel.

With Hicks, the will is there, not sure the belief in his own ability and ability to use refined skill are. To me Hicks has to take his game to that next level now. I don't watch those scrimmages and get as excited as some, I need to see him show consistency to bring it every game, I need to see that against real game intensity. Hicks is vital because we all know brice & meeks will find foul trouble and we need that 3rd front court guy to really come in and we not see a dramatic drop off in production. Looks like Hicks has added some more weight, good to see, he really needed that, would love to see him catch & shoot at least from mid range more consistently.
Dammit Dave, I was hoping that would just go away and be rumors, but yeah... I'm wondering about Kennedy as well.

I agree with the theory that Berry can be the difference maker next year; but, I'm not sold on putting Meeks in the same category. Don't get me wrong, I like Kennedy and think he is vital to our success. I just think he has already come close to his ceiling. He has a big body and great hands; but, he is not an explosive athlete. As far as a difference maker, Hicks has the potential. He is an explosive athlete. If he can consistently drain mid range jump shots, this will draw opponents out which will allow him to utilize his superior athletic skills. I don't see him starting this season; but, he could be the difference maker off the bench.

"Hicks has to take his game to that next level now. I don't watch those scrimmages and get as excited as some, I need to see him show consistency to bring it every game, I need to see that against real game intensity. Hicks is vital because we all know brice & meeks will find foul trouble and we need that 3rd front court guy to really come in and we not see a dramatic drop off in production. Looks like Hicks has added some more weight, good to see, he really needed that, would love to see him catch & shoot at least from mid range more consistently."

I don't think I can agree that meeks has played any where close to his potential. For example, I think he can consistently hit jumpers out to at least the foul line but not sure I can recall the last time he took a shot that was not right under the basket. Even when under the basket I don't feel like he uses his girth as well as he could, he is to busy pump faking.

I want Meeks to seek out contact, I want him to use that girth and strength to play up and thru contact in a manner similar to Sullenger when he was at OSU. Meeks to my view takes to long and maybe to long is a split second but a defender is on you in that split of a second. He just strikes me as wanting to shy away from the contact when I want to see him make his defender know who the strongest cat on the court is today. Go right at that defenders chest & body, force the foul call, absorbe the contact and play thru it. There is no freaking way 220lb guys should be able to handle Meeks, they do because he plays to the defenders strenght when he does not use his girth & strength to over power or root out that defender.

Reactions: Heelicious
There is no reason why Kennedy can't give us the same output Sean May gave us as a junior.

I agree though, if we get elite level PG and C production we will roll to a final four.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT