ADVERTISEMENT

Movies that scared you

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
Halloween is close. I love a good scary movie. What are some that have genuinely scared you?

Exorcist- I was too young to be watching it. I had nightmares for days

Omen- to me a great horror movie is one that is at least somewhat plausible. I was all immersed in eschatology at the time so this one really got to me

Blair witch- easy to relate to getting lost in the woods and seeing and hearing things. I didn’t fall for the “lost footage” scam they were selling but it still scared the shit outta me.

Jaws- believable, relatable, really touches on our innate primordial fear....being eaten alive by a monster

When a stranger calls- this is the one. The scariest movie I’ve ever seen. If you’ve never seen it and you like to be scared this movie will do it. Depicts events that could literally happen to anyone at any time. No gore, no things jumping out of the dark, just psychological horror.

Reactions: gteeitup
I watch a lot of horror movies, but I've only been scared by one and that's the old school It movie. The one that was on TV. I was too young to be watching and I was by myself. It still freaks me out a little.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I think horror movies are stupid. I don’t mind a suspense/thriller type but even those I have to take in small doses. I thought that Blair Witch movie was embarrassingly bad. My wife and I still make fun of that movie.

Movies that scare me the most are about real life shit like kidnappings, school shootings, deep state corruption, mind control, etc.

But there are a few movies that have stuck with me throughout the years as really scary. The first one is Fortress. It's from the 80s. And I haven't seen it in probably 30 years or so. But the masks the bad guys wore were terrifying.

The second is also from the 80s - Something Wicked This Way Comes. Again, I haven't seen it in decades and I doubt it would be as scary as an adult. But this movie was scary when I was a kid.

Lastly, there's this movie called Running Scared with Vera Farmiga (who by the way is an absolute "would"). The whole movie is slightly disturbing but this one scene in particular is so demented I had a hard time watching it. She basically discovers a home where pedophiles are kidnapping kids and killing them. I'm not linking the video but you can find it if you want.

Halloween is close. I love a good scary movie. What are some that have genuinely scared you?

Exorcist- I was too young to be watching it. I had nightmares for days

Omen- to me a great horror movie is one that is at least somewhat plausible. I was all immersed in eschatology at the time so this one really got to me

Blair witch- easy to relate to getting lost in the woods and seeing and hearing things. I didn’t fall for the “lost footage” scam they were selling but it still scared the shit outta me.

Jaws- believable, relatable, really touches on our innate primordial fear....being eaten alive by a monster

When a stranger calls- this is the one. The scariest movie I’ve ever seen. If you’ve never seen it and you like to be scared this movie will do it. Depicts events that could literally happen to anyone at any time. No gore, no things jumping out of the dark, just psychological horror.
+1 on The Exorcist

Original Pet Sematary, Zelda freaked me the fuk out.

The Believers, voodoo cult kidnappers.

and Clueless.

I think horror movies are stupid. I don’t mind a suspense/thriller type but even those I have to take in small doses. I thought that Blair Witch movie was embarrassingly bad. My wife and I still make fun of that movie.

Movies that scare me the most are about real life shit like kidnappings, school shootings, deep state corruption, mind control, etc.

But there are a few movies that have stuck with me throughout the years as really scary. The first one is Fortress. It's from the 80s. And I haven't seen it in probably 30 years or so. But the masks the bad guys wore were terrifying.

The second is also from the 80s - Something Wicked This Way Comes. Again, I haven't seen it in decades and I doubt it would be as scary as an adult. But this movie was scary when I was a kid.

Lastly, there's this movie called Running Scared with Vera Farmiga (who by the way is an absolute "would"). The whole movie is slightly disturbing but this one scene in particular is so demented I had a hard time watching it. She basically discovers a home where pedophiles are kidnapping kids and killing them. I'm not linking the video but you can find it if you want.
+1 on Something Wicked

HBO showed it on a loop when I was a kid.

I agree on something wicked. Haven’t seen that in ages. Never heard of fortress. Have to check it out. Me and the kids always do scary movie marathons on a weekend close to Halloween.

A few films really shook me up as a kid. The horror movies would be The Exorcist (which I haven't watched again), and the first Salem's Lot- TV movie in the late 70's... scared me to death.

I went to see this in the theater with a neighborhood buddy and his dad:

SCARED ME TO DEATH... I was convinced these things were real until I was in high school. The howl that fvcker made still kinda spooks me.

Another movie/series that kinda shook me up was the mini-series "Holocaust". My parents let me watch it, but regretted it after it got started. It was really graphic at the time, but it's nothing compared to films like The Grey Zone or Schindler's List.

I love a good scary movie and I've seen a boatload of them, except they don't really scare me so much anymore; not since so long ago when the flying monkeys of The Wizard of Oz nearly made me ship my pants and have nightmares for a week.

Reactions: chickenhunter
I just realized which movie 'Fortress' is. Rachel Ward alone makes it worth the price of admission, but it is a top-notch flick with some really hardcore bad guys. Highly recommend.

Reactions: Terror Beard
When I was about 15 there was a TV movie with Karen Black about a little Afican warrior doll that came to life and was trying to kill her. I watched it at a friend's and had to ride my bike home. I would peddle like crazy and then pick my feet up and put them on the frame...that little bastard was chasing ol'Karen and cutting her feet all to pieces with a kitchen knife. It made an impression, lol

When I was about 15 there was a TV movie with Karen Black about a little Afican warrior doll that came to life and was trying to kill her. I watched it at a friend's and had to ride my bike home. I would peddle like crazy and then pick my feet up and put them on the frame...that little bastard was chasing ol'Karen and cutting her feet all to pieces with a kitchen knife. It made an impression, lol

Why's it have to be african? Why can't you just say warrior doll? Racist.

#cancelheelbent

Movies haven't scared me much but I enjoy a good scary movie anyway. But this episode of the old TV series 'Thriller' called 'Pigeons from Hell' scared the bejeezus out of me. I was just a kid when I saw it and it creeped me the hell out. It's black and white, but that makes it better.

A few films really shook me up as a kid. The horror movies would be The Exorcist (which I haven't watched again), and the first Salem's Lot- TV movie in the late 70's... scared me to death.

I went to see this in the theater with a neighborhood buddy and his dad:

SCARED ME TO DEATH... I was convinced these things were real until I was in high school. The howl that fvcker made still kinda spooks me.

Another movie/series that kinda shook me up was the mini-series "Holocaust". My parents let me watch it, but regretted it after it got started. It was really graphic at the time, but it's nothing compared to films like The Grey Zone or Schindler's List.
Similarly, I remember watching this one as a kid in the theaters and it scared the crap out of me. The movie is cheesy as hell, but at the time it was terrifying.

hey Strum ( @strummingram ) there's a scary movie coming out in November that you won't want to miss..."TRUMP UNCHAINED...the Return of the Donald". He's back, and this time...HE.MEANS.BUSINESS

• Haha
Reactions: Terror Beard
I love horror movies and especially those dealing with paranormal and possession.

My sister took my to see The Exorcist when I was 9. I LOVED it and think that's why I enjoy those type movies.

Now, when I saw Jaws, it scared the shit outta me. I was at my cousins house in Lancaster SC when we went to see it. He had a pool in he back yard and I was scared to swim in the damn pool at night...even with the lights on.

Watched a documentary called "Devils Road: The True Story of Ed and Lorraine Warren". Extremely interesting.

hey Strum ( @strummingram ) there's a scary movie coming out in November that you won't want to miss..."TRUMP UNCHAINED...the Return of the Donald". He's back, and this time...HE.MEANS.BUSINESS

I actually saw this trailer, and Brendan Gleeson NAILS Trump! Pretty impressive acting/impersonation. I just wonder if it will be entertaining, like "Game Change" was with Julianne Moore and Woody Harrelson. Not scary, of course, but extremely entertaining.

As, @uncboy10 mentioned in the Netflix thread, I watched "Social Dilemma", and that was pretty damned disturbing. I liked the guy in the dreadlocks the most!

Reactions: bluetoe
watched the social dilemma last night...yeah, i need to do better.

Scary in a different sense, for sure.

I caught the origjnal Willie Wonka tonight. There were some scenes that freaked me out when I was a kid. Especially the boat scene.

Reactions: gteeitup
Those flying monkeys scared the shit outta me... still do.

KeyWastefulBufeo-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT