ADVERTISEMENT

Music is dead

The B side of this album is my shit. A side is very good but the 16 minute jam that is Terrapin part 1 is quintessential Dead.
Love this album so much. My dad had the record and I remember the Turtles on the cover from when I was 5-6 years old. The jam is so damn good.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
I don't know how to post songs here, but "A Good Day to Die" by William Elliot Whitmore is my favorite die song. All his stuff is pretty good I think.

I don't know how to post songs here, but "A Good Day to Die" by William Elliot Whitmore is my favorite die song. All his stuff is pretty good I think.
very nice!

here's an oldie that kind of qualifies I think... I like the intro.

• Love
Reactions: Heelicious
@gunslingerdick thanks for posting this song. I like it a lot. I consider myself a pretty big and knowledgeable Dylan fan. It hadn’t heard this song. Turns out it’s on his debut album. Bob looks a bit like a girl on that album cover - and quite young. Released in 1962 - so over 60 years ago! Crazy.

It is amazing to me, while I don’t think Dylan was a big ego “look at me” sort of guy - instead just wanted social and cultural messages and storytelling to come out through his music - what influence he had through so many genres.

. And wrote songs and / or inspired so many musicians. I’m always amazed at how even songs up to today are partially written, covers, or highly inspired by Dylan. Other than maybe Beatles and Elvis - hard to think of a musician with broader and deeper impact on music across any genre.

@gunslingerdick thanks for posting this song. I like it a lot. I consider myself a pretty big and knowledgeable Dylan fan. It hadn’t heard this song. Turns out it’s on his debut album. Bob looks a bit like a girl on that album cover - and quite young. Released in 1962 - so over 60 years ago! Crazy.

It is amazing to me, while I don’t think Dylan was a big ego “look at me” sort of guy - instead just wanted social and cultural messages and storytelling to come out through his music - what influence he had through so many genres.

. And wrote songs and / or inspired so many musicians. I’m always amazed at how even songs up to today are partially written, covers, or highly inspired by Dylan. Other than maybe Beatles and Elvis - hard to think of a musician with broader and deeper impact on music across any genre.

Yeah, Bob and I go back to when I was about 15. I’ve seen him perform 8-10 times throughout the years in some cool and different places. Studied and recited some of his works from his book Tarantula for a high school literature class. I own Dylan albums, cassettes, CDs, VHS, digital, books, old magazines, etc. Easily the artist I’ve listened to most in my life. Not sure why or how I began listening to him. But once I started, I couldn’t stop. Good thing his catalog is ridiculously deep. To this day I still find Dylan songs I’ve never heard.

That song is off the debut, which is all folk standards except for a couple originals he wrote, one of which, my favorite track off that album, is an homage to Woody Guthrie, “Song To Woody”. As a Dylan fan, you obviously enjoy the transition to rock over the next few albums. Every Bob fan loves 60s Bob. As do I. That’s quintessential Bob. His heyday. But I’ve always felt 80s Bob is under appreciated by Dylan followers and I personally love that time of his career. Slow Train Coming, Infidels and Oh Mercy are 3 of my favorite albums of his. I don’t know, maybe it was his conversion to Christianity that did it for me. If by chance you’re not familiar with that era of Bob’s music, I highly recommend. I know I’ve poasted some tracks off those albums in another music thread within the last few years.

Dylan’s influence on modern music is immeasurable. He just had so much to say and he was so powerfully poetic in the way he said it, through many different genres, styles and eras of music. A creative genius. Savant- like. One of one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT